Corsair Community

Lenovo Y730 Keyboard Layout

mgalabov

I have a Lenovo Y730 with a Bulgarian keyboard layout and I'm not able to properly use the iCUE software with it. The iCUE dashboard only shows the US layout and thus the lighting on several of the keys on my keyboard becomes broken, when I load the iCUE application. I can see that there are images of several keyboard layouts, when I go to the plugins directory, inside the main iCUE installation directory, however, the iCUE app itself doesn't seem to allow for the layout to be switched.

I'm also not sure who to contact about this. Lenovo made the keyboard, however Corsair made the software and the RGB lighting. I'm not able to open a support ticket on Corsair's web page, since I cannot find the proper product code.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi, I have the same problem with keyboard lighting, but on Croatian/Slovenian layout keyboard...I've successfully submitted ticket by choosing some random keyboard and explained why in ticket text field. I've pasted link(URL) to this thread so they can see that you have this problem too.

Yeah, I also found this hack as well. Unfortunately, the support tickets are answered once a week. My ticket has been opened since the 9th and so far I only have two replies - a generic reply suggesting that I should re-install iCUE and a second one asking for screenshots to support my claims. In any case, I'll provide any useful info in here, once a solution for this problem has been presented by the staff.

I received reply on my ticket today and support asked me to provide a product code by taking a picture of sticker underneath the keyboard?? Like they don't even try to read what I wrote in the ticket text field...I really don't know what to answer to that reply actually. My next thing to try when I catch time for that, after my unsuccessful Windows registry hacking with keyboard layouts, is to reinstall Windows. My initial settings were set to keyboard layout "Standard" (M$ set this name for Croatian keyboard) and set it to Slovenian(it is the same as CRO) because iCUE has only that keyboard layout in its installation folder.

But I'm not sure if it will work, because you have set Bulgarian keyboard and iCUE has BG layout in installation folder...

If you want to try to edit registry keys for keyboard layouts, I've found great article on the internet so feel free to let me know, so we can see if it is working for you ;)

Yeah, support kinda sucks. I can advise you to just explain the problem again. Hopefully, they will read the reply more carefully this time.

I actually tried playing around with the registry keys, however, to no avail. Moreover, there are maybe 10 places, where the keyboard layout is specified and God only knows which key does the iCUE app needs. It may be possible that it doesn't detect the layout through the registry in the first place.

I also looked into decompiling the plugin dll file, however, it appears to be written in either C, or C++. Even if I guessed the correct compiler that was used to compile the dll, decompiling C/C++ code is a huge pain in the butt. I even tried looking into the CUE SDK. I spent about 2 hours with it and couldn't get it to lit up the problematic keys. I could spent another several hours looking at the assembly code that's executed, when the program is ran, however, I really have better things to do with my time.

Bottom line is, this is Corsair's software and Corsair's bug, so they should be the ones spending time fixing it.

I'll explain them the problem again, hopefully it will make sense.

I've edited one key in registry and iCUE actually reads that I set Slovenian keyboard layout (at least in iCUE log - SystemInfo - Layout ID : 0x1060 Name : Slovenian) but without success, it still shows EN US layout in app. Nice try with decompiling their code, but I think that is overkill to do because we paid nice amount of money to get this laptop. We obviously expect that everything must work as designed :)

This automatic recognition of God knows what setting in Windows language/region/keyboard is nonsense.

My suggestion for fixing this problem is to enable us to choose keyboard layout in iCUE settings. I mean they can still provide auto recognition, but allow us to override if it causes problem like this.

That would definitely be the best thing to do. However, I'm actually leaning towards the thought that they never really developed the support for different keyboard layouts. They just set it to en-US and that's it. It's either that, or the whole functionality was never properly tested, because it is apparent that it doesn't work. And it's been several versions of iCUE, since Y730 support was announced. In addition I get the feeling that they just plainly refuse to address this issue. I mean, the latest reply from support suggests for me to check whether I have two instances of iCUE installed!

Hi, I've replied to them...and their response to that is that they can only guarantee compatibility of their software to their RGB products, and that they don't support 3rd party RGB products. Really? Nice. That is something what I was hoping not to read from them.

Lenovo just stole their drivers and put their software for controlling keyboard lighting, it is Lenovo's fault that it is not working properly. Yeah, for sure.

What is even more funny is their latest reply to you, two instances of iCUE installed on the same time? Are they actually serious, what kind of support are them?

Hopefully this isn't over, because for me it is impossible to get a refund. Replacement doesn't make sense, because it is software issue. Probably every single Y730 model with physical keyboard layout other than en-US is affected. If they won't fix this bug, they could tell us how to force (through registry/settings) iCUE to use other layout at least, we will do rest of the work. If they added support in code for other layouts other than those pictures in "plugin" directory, as you have assumed.

I have reinstalled Windows and set Slovenian keyboard from setup, but that didn't help either.

• 2 weeks later...

If they won't fix that bug, then I should really see what the legal options are in this case, since there's no other way of controlling the backlight other than through iCUE. The laptop is being marketed and sold with this in mind, so this iCUE bug should really be considered a defect in the laptop itself.

I got a reply that my ticket was forwarded to a software expert, however that was more than a week ago. Hopefully, this will get resolved this year.

• Corsair Employee

Hey guys,

Give me your ticket numbers (PM or post here) so we can collect the info to forward.

Also, make sure that you're changing the layout in iCUE's settings (Should be available in the region dropdown under Device Settings).

Considering the product it's related to, there might've been some miscommunication or something between us an Lenovo regarding supported regions to display. That being said, we should be able to resolve it in a future update.

My support ticket is #836229.

The layout cannot be changed manually for this device. I don't know if that's by design, but the Device Settings just says "Legion Y730 has not settings.". And since the plugins directory contains all the necessary image files, for quite a lot of different layouts, I can only assume that the idea was to detect the layout automatically.

Here are a couple of screenshots:

Device Settings

Plugins Directory

There are some additional attached files in the ticket as well.

Edited by mgalabov

• Corsair Employee

OK! So I was able to get an answer on this.

While the laptop is using iCUE, the actual functional updates are being created by Lenovo. We've contacted them and made them aware of the layout issue, and we've been told they are working on a fix for it. Once they have provided it, we should be able to implement it in the new version of iCUE. Corsair is only handling education related to iCUE, Lenovo is handling all of the software/hardware functionality on their end.

In short, it's probably best to contact Lenovo, but we are hoping they have a fix for us ready by the next version of iCUE.

Hi guys,

my support ticket is #841259.

@mgalabov We are moving forward, slowly, but it is something at least :)

@Corsair Calico Jack As far as i know, as I could not find anyone who has this problem by googling, Croatian/Slovenian and Bulgarian layouts are affected with this issue only. But highly possibly any keyboard that has "taller" Enter key and left shift key sliced to form 2 keys is affected.

Edited by ASSASSIN1995

• Corsair Employee

My understanding is that there should be a fix out soon, guys. Just make sure to update iCUE when you can and to get any updates from Lenovo's website.

Can't guarantee anything in the next iCUE update as it may have been validated before the fix, but I am aware that one's coming.

Sorry for all the trouble.

• 6 months later...
Everything was working fine until recently. I had to send the laptop for a warranty repair. Apparently, the motherboard was fried, so they replaced it. Since it was replaced though the problem with the keyboard layout re-emerged - iCUE thinks that I have the US layout, instead of the BG one.

• 2 months later...

You really don't have luck with this laptop.

Have you tried downloading Lenovo Vantage from MS Store? In Vantage app you can update and download custom Lenovo drivers. Maybe through Vantage you'll get those which are not installed and keyboard lighting will work again...

I actually prefer downloading drivers manually from manufacturer for ie. Intel graphics, Intel wireless, dGPU as those are updated frequently, but drivers for custom components must be delivered by OEM.