Corsair Community

CX500-M - How many SATA possible?

subi75

I currently have a CX500-M PSU that I plan to move into a Fractal Node 804 case which I plan to have powering (at least initially) 6 HDD's and 1 SSD, in addition to the CPU (an Intel I3-4350) on an mITX mobo. I do plan to add additional HDD's down the track, and probably an extra SSD as well.

There will NOT be any additional graphics cards installed in the case, although I will be installing a SAS/SATA controller PCIe card (as the mobo does not have enough SATA ports for all the drives I plan to use).

Looking at the CX500-M, it has 4 modular connectors, but I am unsure on the power rail if it is capable of powering all the HDD's, as I do not expect to use the PCIe power leads for the SAS/SATA controller and hoping to replace the PCIe power leads with SATA power leads instead to power all the drives.

• Corsair Employee

CX500M? That's an old PSU.

The CX500M has three ports for SATA cables.

It comes with two SATA cables. One has three connectors. The other has two connectors.

So that's 5 SATA drives total out of the box.

The third port is available for the included Molex cable. But you can buy an additional SATA cable with up to four ports on it and that will allow you to have nine drives as long as you don't need Molex.

If you still need Molex connectors, you can replace either the two connector or three connector cable with the four connector one available for sale separately.

It doesn't matter if you don't have a discrete graphics card because you can't use the 8-pont on the PSU for drives. It's +12V only.

Edited by jonnyguru

When I originally purchased the CX500M, I replaced the second cable that had 2 x SATA power connectors and (from memory) a molex connector, as I had planned to connect SATA power devices rather than devices using molex connections, so I know that replacement cables are available.

Checking the Accessories page, I see that they are now offering SATA power cables that have 4 connections on them - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Type-3-Flat-Black-Peripheral-Cable-With-4-Connectors/p/CP-8920112

So now wondering, is the lead connection on the CX500M PSU compatible with this cable, and further more is the PSU capable of handling 4 x SATA per cable on the existing SATA rails?

Yes I realise its old (Ive had it nearly 6 years now) but as this an upgrade on a tight budget, I will be replacing components over time (upgrade CPU/mobo/ram/psu) so I am trying to get away with the the minimum parts replacement up front (my immediate priority is increasing disk space, and in the process I also need to replace the case with a larger case to accomodate additional drives) so I would prefer to refrain from the additional expense of a new PSU up front if I can.

• Corsair Employee
When I originally purchased the CX500M, I replaced the second cable that had 2 x SATA power connectors and (from memory) a molex connector, as I had planned to connect SATA power devices rather than devices using molex connections, so I know that replacement cables are available.

Checking the Accessories page, I see that they are now offering SATA power cables that have 4 connections on them - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Type-3-Flat-Black-Peripheral-Cable-With-4-Connectors/p/CP-8920112

So now wondering, is the lead connection on the CX500M PSU compatible with this cable, and further more is the PSU capable of handling 4 x SATA per cable on the existing SATA rails?

Yes I realise its old (Ive had it nearly 6 years now) but as this an upgrade on a tight budget, I will be replacing components over time (upgrade CPU/mobo/ram/psu) so I am trying to get away with the the minimum parts replacement up front (my immediate priority is increasing disk space, and in the process I also need to replace the case with a larger case to accomodate additional drives) so I would prefer to refrain from the additional expense of a new PSU up front if I can.

Yes. It's compatible. That's why I suggested it.

I also suggested it because the PSU can handle four SATA on a cable. That's why they offer that cable.

Way better than using adapters.

Great, thanks jonnyguru.

I guess last question, I see that on the site they list prices, but I dont seem to be able to find how to access the Corsair online store (although there are references to one on the site but no links).

If my local resellers are not able to supply the cables to me, do you know how I can order direct via Corsair's online store (international shipping required as well)?

• Corsair Employee
Great, thanks jonnyguru.

I guess last question, I see that on the site they list prices, but I dont seem to be able to find how to access the Corsair online store (although there are references to one on the site but no links).

If my local resellers are not able to supply the cables to me, do you know how I can order direct via Corsair's online store (international shipping required as well)?

There are international hubs, but the inventory available is going to differ per hub. So the next question is going to be, "where are you located?"

BTW: The cable you linked is the Molex cable. Not the SATA cable.

The part numbers for the 4 connector SATA cables are "CP-8920113" (850mm), "CP-8920116" (700mm) and "CB10HXSA4" (800mm).

There are international hubs, but the inventory available is going to differ per hub. So the next question is going to be, "where are you located?"

I'm located in Australia...

BTW: The cable you linked is the Molex cable. Not the SATA cable.

The part numbers for the 4 connector SATA cables are "CP-8920113" (850mm), "CP-8920116" (700mm) and "CB10HXSA4" (800mm).

Opps.. I had meant "CP-8920116" (700mm).

From looking at websites of local retailers referenced by Corsair, they either do not list any leads at all on their online stores, or those that do are listing the CP-892018x & CP-892019x leads instead. I've already sent enquiries to them asking for quotes, so if I do not receive responses, or they inform me they cannot supply, I will need to look internationally for them I guess.

• Corsair Employee
I'm located in Australia...

Opps.. I had meant "CP-8920116" (700mm).

From looking at websites of local retailers referenced by Corsair, they either do not list any leads at all on their online stores, or those that do are listing the CP-892018x & CP-892019x leads instead. I've already sent enquiries to them asking for quotes, so if I do not receive responses, or they inform me they cannot supply, I will need to look internationally for them I guess.

Yeah. If you ask Customer Service at Corsair, you might be able to get one shipped to you from the Taiwan office.

I second the vote for Cablemod. I am also in Australia and have ordered a couple of cable sets from Cablemod. They ship directly from China and even in the current shipping world, they are still as quick as its possible to get in the current climate. Quality is very good too.

Second option is PC Case Gear here in Melbourne.

They have pre-packaged Cablemod packs as well as Corsair Packs.

https://www.pccasegear.com/category/19_1347/cables/internal-power-cables

• Corsair Employee
I second the vote for Cablemod. I am also in Australia and have ordered a couple of cable sets from Cablemod. They ship directly from China and even in the current shipping world, they are still as quick as its possible to get in the current climate. Quality is very good too.

Second option is PC Case Gear here in Melbourne.

They have pre-packaged Cablemod packs as well as Corsair Packs.

https://www.pccasegear.com/category/19_1347/cables/internal-power-cables

What's the shipping like from Cablemod?

I did a quick "I need a SATA cable" on their custom cable configurator, and while the $11 price for the cable was reasonable, the $20 shipping was not. :D

What's the shipping like from Cablemod?

I did a quick "I need a SATA cable" on their custom cable configurator, and while the $11 price for the cable was reasonable, the $20 shipping was not. :D

Like all these things, it comes down to the "In my circumstances..." test.

My last order from Cablemod was a total of $247.60 for product, Shipping was another $20 on top of that so I paid $267.60. That was for a full custom coloured cable set (24-pin, 2xEPS, 2xPCIe, SATA and some coloured anodized thumbscrews). For those maths, I considered $20 shipping to be pretty reasonable.

In your example, an $11 cable and then $20 for shipping I would agree with you, the shipping cost doesn't make sense.

One of the issues we have to deal with living in Australia is that we have way fewer options when it comes to buying online and shipping. Its even worse in the current climate since many companies such as Amazon have stopped shipping to Australia. Full stop. They just aren't interested. So our first question when shopping online is "Will this even ship to Australia?". When the answer to that question is "Yes", we are now just accustomed to the fact that we will probably pay a premium for that privilege.

I recently had a "difference of opinion" with a European based supplier who has a very good name on these forums who had an exorbitant shipping cost to Australia which they justified as being "because its so far away...". I chose to buy elsewhere and that worked out very well in the end for me, but I'm now banned from that site - lol !!! So while we are used to paying a premium for delivery down here, there is a limit - lol !!!

So, bottom line, for the stuff I have bought from Cablemod, the shipping has been a very reasonable percentage of the overall cost. But for a single cable purchase, it probably wouldn't make sense.