Corsair Community

H115i Pro Fan install direction

Homeuser

Hi, I just built a new rig. I am using a Cooler Master - Storm Trooper (Windowed) ATX Full Tower Case. I moved the 2 Front: 120 mm LED fan x2 (1200 RPM, 17dBA) to the front to draw in cool air (over my HDD's).

I also have 2 Cooler Master - R4-S4S-10AK-GP 60.9 CFM 140mm Fans on the bottom of the case to draw in more cooler air but they only work occasionally for some reason-maybe when needed? I also have an EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 HYBRID GAMING Video Card that has it's own radiator and it's own 120mm radiator and fan that is blowing out in the back.

My question is, should I have my CPU fans for the H115i Pro Blowing air out of the top, through the radiator or drawing air in through the radiator or before the radiator?

Basically, I have the radiator attached to the top of my case, then the 2 fans are attached to the radiator. Should it be configured differently? and How do I know which direction I need to have the fans face? Right now, I have it so the Corasir Label is facing down and the size of fan is facing up. (I'm confused on this)

I've attached a few pictures of how i have it now, bear in mind, I'm on it so the fans were running at the time. 2 Pictures (Named Corsair and Corsair2) are the 2 different ways I have seen the fans installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I have the H115i Pro pluged into the CPU fan header on the MOBO, but it is a 4 pin header on the MOBO and the wire for the H115i is only 2 prongs...but the fans are working. I just don't know how to test them for speed.

Thanks in advance!!

20180310_150203.thumb.jpg.77947a9752f005a36fc1f2f258e98b4e.jpg

20180310_150132.thumb.jpg.9d26f0c4e286375559ca4454cffdf295.jpg

20180310_150220.thumb.jpg.9dcb9c2337b6d5788e7f9151f64cecd0.jpg

20180310_150318.thumb.jpg.80c44cb16df4f3dba97595b5ec13e8d6.jpg

Corsair.PNG.175839784df5e9248c425652213a83f3.PNG

70644936_Corsair2.thumb.PNG.a3c5b43a74d9ba987332481139c5a8da.PNG

For top mount, you should typically be exhaust.

Whether the fans are push (inside the case, pushing air through the radiator to the outside) or pull (towards the outside, pulling air through the radiator and exhausting it) is irrelevant.

The fans will have arrows on the frame indicating airflow direction. However ... it's simple. The side with the Corsair logo is exhaust, the side with the grey sticker is intake. So ... your setup is currently set up as intake (it's bringing air in from the outside) and pull (pulling air through the radiator). At the very least, you'll likely want to switch that.

Having the fans pulling air through the radiator can also make it easier to clean the radiator of any accumulated dust.

Finally, fan speed isn't controlled from the CPU Fan header, it's controlled by the pump. You can control it using Link. The connector is there to supply a tachometer signal so you don't get a CPU Fan Speed warning when booting.

Be sure to look through the Cooler FAQ linked in my signature. Much if this is answered there.

Absolutely without question... out the top as exhaust. There are builds, cases, or restricting circumstances where it may be favorable to use intake air on the CPU radiator or the top as intake. This is not one of them. This would force all exhaust to go through the rear GPU radiator. Because it is radiator restricted, the total volume of air you can move through that 120mm area is rather small. It would be a bottleneck for sure. Additionally, since you are transporting most of the GPU waste heat straight to the exit, doing the same thing with the CPU waste heat (as exhaust) will really keep internal temperatures down and relieve any need to run high fan speeds or worry about your intake/exhaust volume at all. I ran this configuration for the past year on 540/740 Air case. My internal case temps would go up 1 or 2C when under load. You can keep the front and lower fans at reasonable speeds and the radiator fans can be set for specific need. You won't need much on the H115i. I rarely let mine go over 800-900 rpm on 200W+ 5930K. You will need even less with 8700K, regardless of overclocking.

The only one that will really benefit from fan speed is the GPU AIO fan. On my similar Titan X (P) and 120mm AIO set up, a typical coolant delta would be +20-30C over idle temperature. I found 1200-1500 rpm to be the sweet spot in terms of noise and cooling. Because the wattage load is large and the radiator relatively small, it must keep a high cycle rate and fan speed will make a difference. However, it really does not matter much if the GPU is 46 or 42C when it would otherwise be at 80C, so don't get too carried away with cranking up the speed.

On the H115i, fan and pump control is through Link, not the BIOS. Power to unit comes from the SATA connection. The "two pin" connector is more of a boot error bypass and the information passed along it is not overly useful. It will report half the pump speed to the BIOS. It is best to go into the basic BIOS Q-fan and set that header to "Full Speed" or to "disabled" in the Adv. BIOS. This will set to maximum and disable any attempts to control it like a normal fan. From within Link, you can access the controls by clicking on the fans and pump readout in the "H115i" Box toward the end of the main page.

Thank you to the both of you! I couldn't find any arrow on my fans (Probably didn't look close enough) But I knew the air should blow out (Exhaust) but also wasn't sure if it should go before the radiator or after. i will be adjusting both the physical fans and my BIOS.

Thanks to the both of your replies!

Some fans don’t have arrows. Just remember the label/sticker side is exhaust. The prettier fan blade side is intake. Above or below the radiator does not make a lot of difference. If you want to nitpick, below and pushing air through gives a slightly more pleasant tone on some cases. This is very much dependent on the top mesh and fan type. Often the blades are in closer proximity to the radiator when face down in pull and this could give a slightly buzzer sound. While push would let you show off LED fans, I have deliberately put them in pull to hide them as well. You can choose along any of those lines and know it has little to no effect on performance.

Some fans don’t have arrows. Just remember the label/sticker side is exhaust. The prettier fan blade side is intake. Above or below the radiator does not make a lot of difference. If you want to nitpick, below and pushing air through gives a slightly more pleasant tone on some cases. This is very much dependent on the top mesh and fan type. Often the blades are in closer proximity to the radiator when face down in pull and this could give a slightly buzzer sound. While push would let you show off LED fans, I have deliberately put them in pull to hide them as well. You can choose along any of those lines and know it has little to no effect on performance.

This is actually where I'm confused. My fans have sockeye on both sides. I turned them around but I can't tell weather they are right or not. I even took vapor and tested it but it didn't go in or away. Fans are on, but corsair link won't make them go faster, in fact, it don't even see it. So o in the site I have it hooked up wrong or something. Can you tell by the picture below if it's exhaust or intake.

1520791271761623809631.thumb.jpg.7becfce0cde935917815e136a5a50105.jpg

You have them bringing air into the case. That is the “label” side facing down with a few specification numbers (model, amperage) and it has 4 support vanes. On the intake/front side of the fan you will be able to physically manipulate the blade and there are no stats — occasionally a decorative sticker with logo.

Currently, they are intake. The sticker that shows the current rating (amperage) is the direction of the air. And those fans do have arrows; you can actually see them in the picture if you know where to look. I've circled them in red.

So ... at the very least, you want to flip them around. Having them on top or bottom make no difference for performance. However, having them on top and pulling air through the radiator does make it easier to clean the radiator fins - the dust will collect on the "underside" of the radiator and you can wipe that pretty easily.

1520791271761623809631.thumb.jpg.1b53f70c333df8066524402cde42a030.jpg

HA! YES..I took it apart again and found them. Thanks! Now I'm back to where it originally was set up. but the corsair link software AND Asus AI Suite 3 don't do anthing for these fans. I'm just trying to see if I can make them go faster for testing purposes only. In Corsair Link, if I go to Devices under options, nothing is there. Do these CPU fans work automatically? Oh...I also forgot to go into my BIOS...Maybe that's why..I'll test that and return to see..

Pro series coolers don't require any configuration in the BIOS. They do, however, require a USB connection, which it looks like you have.

Link should allow you to control the fans once the driver is installed and operating properly.

That's just it...Link isn't allowing me to do anything to any of my fans, Asus AI Suit does except the CPU and GPU, it only does the MOBO fans. I'm sure I rused into this build and didn't hook up things properly...knowing me...lol

OK, Link isn't picking up the cooler.

A couple of things to check:

1) Verify that the USB cable is plugged in to a USB header on your motherboard.

2) If #1 is true, check using a micro USB to USB-A cable; route this to one of the external ports.

OK, Link isn't picking up the cooler.

A couple of things to check:

1) Verify that the USB cable is plugged in to a USB header on your motherboard.

2) If #1 is true, check using a micro USB to USB-A cable; route this to one of the external ports.

That's what I thought..Do you have a pic of where this is supposed to go? I have the USB cord from the CPU to a SATA cable to my PSU. I'm not sure if this is what you mean?

well, on your pictures, it looks like it's plugged in to the cooler. It's on the side of the cooler opposite the tubing.

It should go into a standard, internal USB 2 header on your motherboard. At least, the one that ships with the cooler does. Alternatively, you can use a micro USB cable (as long as it's a data cable and not power-only) and route it to an external USB port.

well, on your pictures, it looks like it's plugged in to the cooler. It's on the side of the cooler opposite the tubing.

It should go into a standard, internal USB 2 header on your motherboard. At least, the one that ships with the cooler does. Alternatively, you can use a micro USB cable (as long as it's a data cable and not power-only) and route it to an external USB port.

I'm taking it apart again to double check as we speak. I know I have that hooked up to the mobo, but I'll double check.

Ok, I've confirmed that it's plugged into my MOBO USB header. I'm going to uninstall the Corsair Link software and re-install it. Maybe it didn't see it or something when I installed it.??????

UPDATE: I believe its something with Corsair Link Software itself. I've been having an issue with it now for over an Hour. Now it won't do/show anything. I had a hard time uninstalling it and then also re-installing it.

I've also noticed, I can't even control the lighting (From what I hear is supposed to work too). I have this plugged in to a USB 2.0 Header

627795538_USBHeader.thumb.PNG.e85cb11bef7033d8e552540de5cabaf1.PNG

1439525694_Corsairlinkerror.thumb.PNG.65ebafc6a1e08fc115bc669b2f4dfac9.PNG

Make sure you are not running EVGA Precision, HWiNFO, AIDA or any of the other common monitoring programs while trying to sort this. Precision XOC often hides in the task bar menu. Quit Link from the same task bar drop down menu. Then open the Task Manager and end process on Corsair Link Service (32 bit). Wait a few seconds and relaunch Link. That usually brings it around for me.

You might try switching your two USB 2.0 connectors at the bottom to see if with pick the cooler up from the other port.

Make sure you are not running EVGA Precision, HWiNFO, AIDA or any of the other common monitoring programs while trying to sort this. Precision XOC often hides in the task bar menu. Quit Link from the same task bar drop down menu. Then open the Task Manager and end process on Corsair Link Service (32 bit). Wait a few seconds and relaunch Link. That usually brings it around for me.

You might try switching your two USB 2.0 connectors at the bottom to see if with pick the cooler up from the other port.

I tried all this and still not showing. I talked to Corsair tech support and they said that is an issue with their software and I should wait till an update comes out in the next few days =YEAH RIGHT. I'll keep testing and troubleshooting I guess...

I made the mistake of letting Link update itself, now my Commander Mini doesn't show up, so it's quite possible that there is an error in the software.

Thanks for the reply with an update about the software update! This helps out alot. I'll wait for the next update (they said in a few days its coming out). Knowing that it was working before it updated and after the update, it stopped, helps out a lot!

Archived