Corsair Community

HowTo: HD120 RGB Custom Lighting Controller

@ABS17

I think Zotty has both HD-120 and LL-120 fans, see if you can find a picture of one of his builds

It should, the LL and HD fans use the same type of ws2812 LEDs, though the LL have 4 more in the center.

This project is recommends a Leonardo style, the one you linked should work. It is just a legal clone as Arduino is open source.

Yes the RGB hub should be connected to sata power the Arduino should in theory just need ground and data, just as it works with the LNP.

To be honest I would just suggest buying a Lighting Node Pro. I used my HD-120's attached to my motherboard's Digital headers, worked fine. Though I do think iCue is a much better software.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll provide my input as well, since I posted this bit of fun...

* "Looks good" is subjective, and I'd say that 1 LL at the back and three HD at the front would look good.

* Yes, the project works with both and allows you to configure the fan types before you compile it. I have 3 LL and 6 HD for example running off the same controller.

* The project requires the ATMEGA 32u4 chip. The linked Leonardo would technically work, but most folks prefer to prototype on bigger boards (Make something they can take apart and change around) and then build on more compact, purpose-built boards. So by that idea, a person would generally plan and fiddle on the full Leonardo board and then make the end thing on a Pro Micro so it doesn't take as much space.

* Difference between my answer and the prior: Yes, the SATA power connector must be connected to the hub, and ONLY two wires should go from the Arduino to the hub. The Arduino does not pass enough power through its fuse to handle all the LEDs. If you know very well what you are doing and make use of the barrel jack at 5V and RAW on the Arduino, you can get away with it, but even I wouldn't because of other considerations.

The Arduino will most happily power itself off the USB connection and then the LEDs are powered from the high-amperage SATA power connector attached to the hub.

Extra information (You shouldn't need to use this, but it will answer your questions):

VCC is a voltage-regulated 5V on the "regulated" side of the voltage regulator. RAW is on the UNREGULATED side of the voltage regulator. You can technically put, for example, 6 or 7 or even 9 volts in on RAW and it will work (and get hot on the regulator at 9-12 and possibly burn out at normal "12" in a car which is often 12.4 or more, not 12). The most efficient way to connect this project is the SATA power to the hub for the LEDs and the USB to the controller for 5V and control of the controller.

* Given the shape of a female JST SM connector, you probably would not be able to get it into the hub. Also not that you only want 2 pins in the default build: Data and Ground. The 5V to the data end of the hub should not be connected since the controller in default should have a USB connection for controlling the controller and most motherboards these days still send power when the computer is off, which would cause an overloaded controller to try to power the LEDs through that USB power and the small thermal fuse.

* Cautious: Do not connect anything backwards. Beyond that, the LEDs are relatively resilient. You're more likely to damage the Arduino than the LEDs.

* Yes, and you should. Without a USB connection, the LEDs would look very boring.

At this point, this project is an excellent learning and fun and less-expensive project. Corsair hardware and software has gotten a lot more capability and has convenience over this by far. This still has more capability overall but lacks some features (like easy plug and play and fancy software), and also my free time to develop it further has been cut into. But anybody can develop it further, which makes it a good thing too. So both have benefits.

@ABS17

I think Zotty has both HD-120 and LL-120 fans, see if you can find a picture of one of his builds

It should, the LL and HD fans use the same type of ws2812 LEDs, though the LL have 4 more in the center.

This project is recommends a Leonardo style, the one you linked should work. It is just a legal clone as Arduino is open source.

Yes the RGB hub should be connected to sata power the Arduino should in theory just need ground and data, just as it works with the LNP.

To be honest I would just suggest buying a Lighting Node Pro. I used my HD-120's attached to my motherboard's Digital headers, worked fine. Though I do think iCue is a much better software.

My last sentence I was referring to iCue is better than my motherboard's software, I wasn't reffering fox's tool.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

After reading almost whole post i have decided to upgrade my 6x Corsair SP120 RGB FAN system. I want to be sure that i won't break anything so I am asking you guys first just to not blow up my PC.

After seeing @MozaPrime video of his HD120 working on SP103E controller i purchased SP110E controller that is capable of controling UCS1903 LEDs of my SP120. I have bought some cables to conect everything without soldiering.

Here is what i have:

http://sztum.net/sp2/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Items.jpg

I want to be certain that i connect everything right so i made this sketch of Corsair contreoller pinout. Is that correct order?

http://sztum.net/sp2/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Pinout.jpg

Do i understand it correctly? FAN hub of SP120 and HD120 is the same but their remotes are different?

I will conect everything as shown on the photoe below.

http://sztum.net/sp2/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Conection.jpg

I will set my LEDs in SP110E controller as 1 strip of 6 LEDs so i think that it will work just fine.

If it will work i hope i have helped somebody who was thinking about getting HD120 RGB or SP120 RGB to work but don;t know a thing about programing Arduino (just like me).

Edited by Wiechu

Hi!

Do i understand it correctly? FAN hub of SP120 and HD120 is the same but their remotes are different?

Then:

• Yes, the controllers for the SP and HD fans are different, and the hub is the same. The controllers do different data signals. The SP fans take UCS1903 signals. The HD fans take WS2812 signals.

• Yes, the hub is exactly the same for all three kinds of fans: LL, HD, SP. The hub is mostly just a wiring system to get data signal from fan to fan. It has no brains in it.

• The three-button controller does not provide any power. The power (5V) goes from the hub to the three-button controller to power the controller.

If the "Corsair" object in your bottom image is the HUB, then yes, it is correct. If it is a controller, it is not. You might need to go from the output ground (GND) on the SP110E to the hub ground also (both to the power and the output from the hub). Try it without. The LEDs will act wonky (or not at all) if it needs both and doesn't have them both, but it won't hurt anything.

If you are using six SP fans, the SP110E should be in UCS1903 mode and set to a strip of 6 LEDs.

If you are using HD fans, it should be in WS2812 mode and set to a strip of 12 times the number of fans. (24 LEDs for two fans, 36 for three, and so on).

If you are using LL fans, it should be in WS2812 mode and a strip of 16 times the number of fans.

If the "Corsair" object in your bottom image is the HUB, then yes, it is correct. If it is a controller, it is not. You might need to go from the output ground (GND) on the SP110E to the hub ground also (both to the power and the output from the hub). Try it without. The LEDs will act wonky (or not at all) if it needs both and doesn't have them both, but it won't hurt anything.

"Corsair" on the picture is the fan hub.

So I will need to conect Ground from FAN HUB to both: DC plug and GND output on SP110E, just like on updated diagram?

http://sztum.net/sp2/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Conection2.jpg

"Corsair" on the picture is the fan hub.

So I will need to conect Ground from FAN HUB to both: DC plug and GND output on SP110E, just like on updated diagram?

Maybe. Probably not (98% chance you don't need to), but it depends on how the controller is wired inside

Shuld check if it works without GND conected to the output or it will harm my HUB and i shuld go straight to wireing everything up before checking?

As I described in my original reply, not having it connected won't hurt anything. The worst that can happen is that if it needs it, the electrical differential will not be enough to signal to the LEDs. This would only happen if there is some wonky pull circuitry in the controller.

The hub is mostly just wires. Inside, it's a bunch of "wires" on a circuit board and one decoupling capacitor, so it's very hard to hurt it. The LEDs and the controller are much easier to hurt with things done wrong.

Can the GND cable from FAN HUB go to in and out of SP110E like shown on the picture?

http://sztum.net/sp2/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Conection2.jpg

Or it will be better if i take DATA and GND from HUB, connect the both to controller OUT and then power the SP110E from some where else like SATA to DC plug so i hase power supplied separatly, just like MozaPrime did with his SP103E build. And lastly can the SP110E controller be conected to 12V plug instead of 5V if it issuplied separatly from HUB anyway (SP110E can withstand up to 24V)? It won;t hurt HUB that is 5V, right?

Can the GND cable from FAN HUB go to in and out of SP110E like shown on the picture?

Yes. Think of it as "Everything goes -into- ground", so there's just two places from the controller going into ground. You can (and do) have dozens of things in the computer connected to ground intentionally and they all can and should be.

And lastly can the SP110E controller be conected to 12V plug instead of 5V if it issuplied separatly from HUB anyway (SP110E can withstand up to 24V)? It won;t hurt HUB that is 5V, right?

I would recommend sticking to your above image to reduce complexity. While it -might- be fine, I do not know the specs of the controller, but just because it "can" does not mean it "should". Reducing voltage generates extra heat and strain on various components and increases the possibility of problems.

• 1 year later...

I'm officially sunsetting this project.

Thank you to everybody who contributed and everybody who enjoyed it! The code is still available and people may improve on it if they like. I will still accept pull requests when appropriate, and I'm still happy to answer questions.

What's next? Hmmmm... Maybe a controller based on an ESP33 instead. Bluetooth and WiFi anyone? Nah. Probably not. But you never know. ;)

So long and thanks for all the fish!

• 2 weeks later...
thank you for this but

iam try but icue not detect

and i have

arduino uno

arduino nano

bt hc-05

node wifi 8266

and i want make controller for my pc with mobile or software say icue

iCUE is not going to detect or control any arduino device. You'll have to write your own code to control the RGB with that device. That, in fact, is the entire point of this thread!

iCUE is not going to detect or control any arduino device. You'll have to write your own code to control the RGB with that device. That, in fact, is the entire point of this thread!

I currently have two arduinos that are detected and controlled by iCUE. I have written an open source version of the LNP firmware for arduino.

I currently have two arduinos that are detected and controlled by iCUE. I have written an open source version of the LNP firmware for arduino.

iam trying icue with arduino lenardo but not detected

if you have any way to make controller via software or wifi to use strip and fan

i have nano and uno and lenardo and bt hc-05 and esp8266 node