Corsair Community

GPU Cooling: 2080 FE vs 2080 FE Rev.B

Salsiccia

Hi guys,

Double checking the components for my new build on the Corsair website I see there is a new version of the GPU block I have chosen (the Rev. B above), but that block is no longer compatible with the card I had chosen. The previous version of that block was/is compatible with the card.

The card I had picked is: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Black Gaming Edition.

The Corsair Block is: Hydro X Series XG7 20-series GPU Water Block (2080 FE)

So I guess my question is: Is the Rev. B a significantly better block, to the point where I should pick a different card that is compatible with it?

• Corsair Employee

Hi,

Just to make sure, can you also share the P/N of your graphics card?

Compatibility wise, the Rev. B has a minor adjustment in order to be able to fit to more graphics card models. Specifically, some 2070 SUPER and 2080 SUPER.

If the first version fits, the Rev. B will also fit.

Performance wise, the Rev. B is the same as XG7 20-series GPU Water Block (2080 FE).

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the prompt response - I can't share the actual part number of my card because at this stage I haven't actually purchased it - I'm still doing the research and I want to ensure that when I commit, the card and the block will definitely work together.

Checking the retailer's website, I see this number for the card I am looking at - is this the part number you are after? 08G-P4-3081-KR (EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Black Edition Gaming, 8GB)

Selecting that card on the Corsair web site under the Rev B block product Compatibility page it reports that this Rev. B block is NOT compatible with this card - hence my question - I just want to make sure that I get a card and block that are definitely compatible.

Thanks again,

Sal

Seems strange that Corsair's block wouldn't fit as most "Black edition" cards are based on the reference design. Maybe you should ask on the EVGA forums to see if this is the case for the 2080 Super black. I'd heard around the web that blocks that fit the founders 2080TI should fit 2080 Super cards that are based off the reference board.

Corsair have a different block for the TI cards. The non Rev B block says it IS compatible with the EVGA card, the Rev. B says its not - hence my confusion !

I'm not looking at TI because:

a) I don't it

b) I can't afford it

(I've already sunk a fair bit into this build, and I still have to buy the CPU, the Graphics card/block and RAM !!!)

:-)

According to the table in the FAQ my suspicion is correct. The card I'm proposing to buy is NOT compatible with the Rev B. 2080 FE block. Luckily, my local supplier only stocks the non Rev B. block at the moment so if I move now I will be OK - albeit with an older block.

Nice, thanks Croak.

I'm sure it will be fine, I've had a look at the online videos for the block replacement and it looks pretty straightforward, just as long as I don't rush and pay attention !

I've lost count of how many GPU blocks I've installed, and the XG7 was by far the least hassle. No re-use of factory screws other than the wee ones on the mounting bracket, no futzing around with thermal tape other than cleaning the old stuff off, no fiddly LEDs to insert, no issues with wire routing. It's so easy a caveman...er, caveperson could do it.

Pro-tip, screw all the EVGA screws back into the stock cooler, make sure all the thermal pads are still on the cooler, then wrap it in cling (Saran) wrap and stick it in your EVGA box. If the time ever comes when you need to RMA the card (or sell it), it makes it dead simple to go back to stock with your perfectly preserved cooler. EVGA doesn't void warranty for cooler removal, but it MUST come back to them with the stock cooler installed.

Edited by Croak

That's really good to know that this install should be easy. From the research I did I kept coming back to the Corsair block because the fitting did seem very straightforward.

This is my first foray into custom cooling so I'm treading very carefully and getting lots of great and helpful advice on here.

I have seen other comments re preserving the stock cooling so it can be replaced if RMA ever comes into play, so thanks for your tips there too.

• Corsair Employee
is it just me or is the Rev B block unavailable to purchase from anywhere?

There is quite a healthy stock over on corsair.com

Add to cart not available for your country? If not let me know from where you are planning to purchase.

That's really good to know that this install should be easy. From the research I did I kept coming back to the Corsair block because the fitting did seem very straightforward.

This is my first foray into custom cooling so I'm treading very carefully and getting lots of great and helpful advice on here.

I have seen other comments re preserving the stock cooling so it can be replaced if RMA ever comes into play, so thanks for your tips there too.

Make sure to preserve the stock cooling. @Croak provided a nice tip!

Might be helpful, the Hydro X series how to videos:

Edited by Corsair GregX

Interesting question for Corsair - Why don't you ship to Australia?

Lots of others do.

I have difficulty getting my pool testing chemicals shipped here from the US, but that's because our Australian import laws are a lot tougher regarding chemicals and potentially hazardous goods, so I get that, but computer hardware?