Corsair Community

New iCue "Freezes" and requires constant CorsairService restart

Rakshasas

I contact corsair support back in April and this is the latest response from them:

"Hi Kevin,

A solution will be difficult to come by without a lot of consulting on our end. To be clear, we do not experience this issue in any large number of systems. It honestly sounds like an issue with your systems USB controller, but it is difficult to assume much.

Regards,

Victor"

They keep on blaming that my system the problem and I literally follow all there request from reinstall icue multiple times, clean install windows.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I contact corsair support back in April and this is the latest response from them:

"Hi Kevin,

A solution will be difficult to come by without a lot of consulting on our end. To be clear, we do not experience this issue in any large number of systems. It honestly sounds like an issue with your systems USB controller, but it is difficult to assume much.

Regards,

Victor"

They keep on blaming that my system the problem and I literally follow all there request from reinstall icue multiple times, clean install windows.

Garbage answer.

"Hi Kevin,

Regards,

Victor"

Did you show them this thread? It's clearly not just you. This happens to a lot of people, and has done for a long time, on a lot of systems.

Not counting my Corsair CPU cooler, fans, and Lighting Node I have changed literally every component in my machine except the case and my CPU, and consistently get this issue.

"Hi Kevin,

Regards,

Victor"

OMG really? I assume it will never be resolved

i get the feeling it's something to do with usb as well but i'll be darned if i would now what it could be exactly. USB BIOS settings (hand-off setting), or driver used in Windows for the controller? Or could it be the fact I drive my fans off my video card temperature?

Maybe they cannot reproduce the issue but it would be nice if there was some kind of debugging or something they could enable for us to do. What happens right before it fails?

I have to restart the service many times and just leave iCue open so I can every once in a while open it an look at the dashboard to see if it's stopped working again. It will often stop randomly several times an hour.

quickest way is open an elevated powershell prompt and type: Restart-Service CorsairService

Edited by nonamename

I've tried using a fixed fan profile and realized that iCUE stays running with no problem whatsoever, so i guess the issue is software related and more specifically because it's not able to "handle" custom fan profiles and screws up the whole program somehow... Edited by Bahamut___

Just followed steps suggested by someone in this thread. I scheduled a regular windows scheduler job to run a batch file once every hour, which has only one line:

net stop CorsairService

This helps kick the service in the nuts and everything starts working again. It doesn't stop the service in my case, maybe because I'm not running it in elevated mode, but it does the trick. Hope it helps!

Just followed steps suggested by someone in this thread. I scheduled a regular windows scheduler job to run a batch file once every hour, which has only one line:

net stop CorsairService

This helps kick the service in the nuts and everything starts working again. It doesn't stop the service in my case, maybe because I'm not running it in elevated mode, but it does the trick. Hope it helps!

that's not a fix but a work around, and not a good one, for me at least. The service will stop responding sometimes multipe times an hour, and usually when I check it after some time it's dead. I usually restart the service before starting a game, but even during gaming it will stop again!

Did you show them this thread? It's clearly not just you. This happens to a lot of people, and has done for a long time, on a lot of systems.

Not counting my Corsair CPU cooler, fans, and Lighting Node I have changed literally every component in my machine except the case and my CPU, and consistently get this issue.

Yes i did show them this thread

So it turn out my corsair hydro h80i v2 was the problem (not sure if it defective or because it is an old cooler so it not working great with ICUE), my command pro is working properly now. I original planing an replace my CPU cooler with iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT Liquid CPU Cooler but because of the freezing fan problem. I decide to avoid corsair (a lost for corsair) and go with EK-AIO 360 D-RGB and oh boy nor did the problem gone, i'm happy with my new AIO. It is quied and keep the tempeture below 70C during gaming.

So it turn out my corsair hydro h80i v2 was the problem (not sure if it defective or because it is an old cooler so it not working great with ICUE), my command pro is working properly now. I original planing an replace my CPU cooler with iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT Liquid CPU Cooler but because of the freezing fan problem. I decide to avoid corsair (a lost for corsair) and go with EK-AIO 360 D-RGB and oh boy nor did the problem gone, i'm happy with my new AIO. It is quied and keep the tempeture below 70C during gaming.

For me, this is super interesting. I also have an H80i V2 CPU cooler, and not counting my Corsair products I have changed every component in my PC except the CPU and case. (Seriously, everything else, even monitor, mouse, keyboard, mainboard, graphics card, PSU, RAM, etc etc!).

Problem for me is that there is really limited choice that fits in my build. Pretty much all other coolers this small are much slimmer radiators :-(

"Hi Kevin,

Regards,

Victor"

Typical to blame instead of finding a solution. So many people have this issue and this is what they respond? Amazing...they do not want to do any work or trouble shoot. This issue happens to me every single day, I have a very nice system and there is no issue with my USB controller, the issue is with the commander pro but corsair doesn't want to take responsibility. Truly a shame that you got this answer. Corsair, read this board and come up with a solution please...we support you in buying your items, please support us in resolving issues with your hardware/software!

I'm not 100% sure yet, but I think I solved my issue.

I was using my GTX 2080ti temperature to control fan curve and instead switched to the temp probe on the Commander Pro instead. So far, I've not had a single freeze.

for those that are experiencing this, can you add what temperature sensor you're using to drive your fans?

My problem has been completely resolved by not using my video card temperature sensor anymore.

I'd like to let corsair know I can reproduce this problem by switching to video card temperature sensor but I'm not going to go through creating a service ticket to let them know. If they browse this forum maybe they'll see this.

Typical to blame instead of finding a solution. So many people have this issue and this is what they respond? Amazing...they do not want to do any work or trouble shoot. This issue happens to me every single day, I have a very nice system and there is no issue with my USB controller, the issue is with the commander pro but corsair doesn't want to take responsibility. Truly a shame that you got this answer. Corsair, read this board and come up with a solution please...we support you in buying your items, please support us in resolving issues with your hardware/software!

they just need a repro so they can see the bug themselves, or they can add better logging to their service to understand where the fault is. I agree they haven't seemed to take this problem seriously enough.

For me, this is super interesting. I also have an H80i V2 CPU cooler, and not counting my Corsair products I have changed every component in my PC except the CPU and case. (Seriously, everything else, even monitor, mouse, keyboard, mainboard, graphics card, PSU, RAM, etc etc!).

Problem for me is that there is really limited choice that fits in my build. Pretty much all other coolers this small are much slimmer radiators :-(

I have just had to install iCUE to manage my new Nightsword mouse, which takes control of my H80i V2 from Corsair LINK.

I now too have this issue with the Corsair service needing a restart, as all the info in iCUE gets stuck.

I have a custom fan profile set for my H80i, do you too?

I hate this iCUE software. Corsair LINK was so much simpler, lighter on resources and "just worked".

Had my H80i V2 for over a year and never had a crash.

Its a shame as the hardware is nice, but software is garbage.

I am seriously tempted to just uninstall iCUE completely, run my Nightsword using its hardware profiles and then just stick with LINK to manage my H80i V2 (and I can then still see the info for my RM PSU with link cable, another thing iCUE cant do)

• 2 weeks later...

Update: It seems that when iCUE crashes like that, it for some reason kept my MSI GTX970 from turning its fan back off.

Typically a few minutes after load drops, the fan would stop.

With iCue in crashed state, that didnt happen. Not sure how it was able to cause that.

Either way... saved all my profiles to my nightsword and got rid of iCue.

All working nicely now.

Just annoying if I need to change a mouse macro. Might install iCue on a spare laptop just for this use :|

After reading a recent post of a guy removing his H80i I decided to stop running a custom profile on my H80i V2 as well, and the crashes totally stopped happening.

I would bet that they are only testing with current/new models of HW, and not older stuff, and not with things like custom fan curves, and that is why they are not reproducing it.

It's clear that it would not be hard to repro this in general, with so many users, with so many configurations - as I mentioned before, for me I have changed literally everything in my machine except case and cpu, and my corsair stuff. The problem is that they don't seem to be getting involved in this thread, or asking for information or doing, well, anything.

I won't be buying more Corsair products; I can't trust that they will take the time to ensure they work properly. They've already missed sales to me as a result of this, and they will continue to do so.

Update: It seems that when iCUE crashes like that, it for some reason kept my MSI GTX970 from turning its fan back off.

Typically a few minutes after load drops, the fan would stop.

With iCue in crashed state, that didnt happen. Not sure how it was able to cause that.

Either way... saved all my profiles to my nightsword and got rid of iCue.

All working nicely now.

Just annoying if I need to change a mouse macro. Might install iCue on a spare laptop just for this use :|

See above. Use a stock curve, it resolves it for me. This is trash though, because the stock curves suck.

Incidentally, I also run MSI afterburner on my system typically, with a custom fan curve, and have no problems with it, even when the CorsairService stops updating.

See above. Use a stock curve, it resolves it for me. This is trash though, because the stock curves suck.

Incidentally, I also run MSI afterburner on my system typically, with a custom fan curve, and have no problems with it, even when the CorsairService stops updating.

Yea thats no fix:bigeyes::[pouts:

AS you say, the stock curve sux.

Corsair Link works fine, so ill stick with that.

I am planning a new build once new nVidia cards are out, and it wont include any water loops or AIOs or any cooling that needs software to sort it out.

So at that point ill probably get iCue back on just for mouse config. (and maybe keyboard if I end up with a K95)

Yea thats no fix:bigeyes::[pouts:

AS you say, the stock curve sux.

Corsair Link works fine, so ill stick with that.

I am planning a new build once new nVidia cards are out, and it wont include any water loops or AIOs or any cooling that needs software to sort it out.

So at that point ill probably get iCue back on just for mouse config. (and maybe keyboard if I end up with a K95)

If I were you I'd probably just put the iCue in a VM, and configure teh mouse in the VM.

I have a Lighting Node Pro in my system, and use the lighting stuff from Corsair, and the options in Cue / Link are far far more limiting than what's in iCue though, so using Cue/Link is also not a particularly good option.

I'm curious, how old is your H80iV2? I wonder if a brand new one would do the same thing - Perhaps they have done FW updates, and maybe again a reason they claim they are not able to reproduce it.

If I were you I'd probably just put the iCue in a VM, and configure teh mouse in the VM.

I have a Lighting Node Pro in my system, and use the lighting stuff from Corsair, and the options in Cue / Link are far far more limiting than what's in iCue though, so using Cue/Link is also not a particularly good option.

I'm curious, how old is your H80iV2? I wonder if a brand new one would do the same thing - Perhaps they have done FW updates, and maybe again a reason they claim they are not able to reproduce it.

if you need iCue and have a H80i v2, then yea thats bad luck :(.

My H80i is about 1.5yrs old I think. iCue didnt have even the option to check its firmware version, let alone update it.

So probably something thats set once when built.

Possible that new H80i v2 dont have this issue?

I use hyper-V for my VMs, and that has no way to pass USB devices directly to the VM.

So not sure how it would control the nightsword?

Or are you RDP into the VM and iCue still works?

I know with Vmware you can pass USB devices to VMs.

SO I live in CA, temps are around 90+ outside, I have no AC and my room gets up to about 87-88. Unable to play any games on my pc. Icue restarts every 5 seconds due to my fans ramping up, drawing more power from the commander pro and eventually the pc is now crashing. I have a 850 corsair power supply so that's not the issue. The commander pro is not designed to handle this much power going through it, that's why corsair is not able to fix this. You do indeed need to use an additional usb hub to mitigate this. Thank you for looking into this corsair...not really...this was complete ignored and it saddens me.