Corsair Community

H150i not flat

AntonPodolsky

It is normal and you are likely to find your CPU IHS is not flat either. The cold plate is deliberately concave to match the convex heat spreader on the CPU. Either way, it a further attempt to guarantee contact at the cpu die and not on the less relevant peripheral edges.

It is normal and you are likely to find your CPU IHS is not flat either. The cold plate is deliberately concave to match the convex heat spreader on the CPU. Either way, it a further attempt to guarantee contact at the cpu die and not on the less relevant peripheral edges.

Thanks for the reply.

When I installed it and later removed to apply an aftermarket thermal paste, 1/4 of the CPU (on the left side) wasn't covered in the pre-applied paste, so the contact isn't ideal I guess.

Any ideas how to improve the contact between the plate and the CPU?

Edited by AntonPodolsky

That’s more extreme and likely not related to concave/convex vs flat. Unfortunately mounting is just kind of fiddly and not something easily diagnosed with a visual inspection. Common trouble spots are mounting posts that don’t go through to the backplate anchor cleanly, unequal tightening on the corners (gradually work around, tightening a few turns at each post then move to the next), or occasionally someone tries using the wrong mounting hardware for their socket type or a backplate from another cooler.

What cpu is this?

I think that is the most likely reason and you now have uneven pressure on opposing sides. Some specific CPUs come up more often. The 9700-9900 series was not one them.

I think you already learned the lesson the hard way, but hand tightening with your fingers is enough. The only thing you can gain from overtightening is bent pins on the CPU socket. That is a really horrible thing to happen and you usually don't get relief from the MB makers.