Corsair Community

CPU hitting 90 when doing prime stress test

bwweigand

So i got a brand new build.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bKYtmg

I got the H60 and replace the fan with a noctua fan because i heard that is what you do.

I have plugged in the H60 pump to the cpu fan and the Noctura fan into the system fan. When running the stress test i get the cpu to be around 90 degress and then when i am just on the internet or idle i get 80. I have taking the H60 off and redone the thermal paste. I have checked the hoses to see if one is hot and cold. (one is super hot the other is like room temperature.) i dont know what to do...? Please help

I have checked the hoses to see if one is hot and cold. (one is super hot the other is like room temperature.)

That is usually a big warning sign there is a pump or flow issue. Typical coolant temp drop on a pass through a 120mm radiator is 1C, so the hoses should be indistinguishable in temperature.

1) Check the SATA connector and/or try a different one. All power on this model comes from there, not the CPU fan header that reports a pump speed only. Watch our for some SATA to Molex adapters that don't really put all the necessary voltage through.

2) Do you get any kind of RPM reading off CPU fan? I am trying to remember if the 2018 version of the H60 comes in at 3000 rpm or like the original at 4000, but you should see something in that range.

3) Does the pump light up? It should be white.

A power delivery problem we might be able to address. Anything else probably means you need to exchange it.

Edited by c-attack
Updated for 2018 model

Ok, lights on probably means you have power. In the BIOS you should see a number for CPU fan, but at this point it seems clear there is some type of malfunction. Either replace it with the vendor or if they are not friendly contact Corsair support.

• 1 month later...