Corsair Community

Ambient light

Yannicked

As I've been messing around with the sdk lately, I've made a program/script which makes your keyboard a "extension" to your monitor. It's a tiny bit like the philips ambilight tv's.

Demo video: [ame]

[/ame]

Another demo video: [ame]

[/ame]

The source: https://github.com/Yannicked/node-cue-ambient

The code is kind of a mess, to "compile" it you'll have to have node.js and i think visual studio installed.

Experimental Download: https://github.com/Yannicked/nw-cue-effects/releases/

Hey man, first of all great job tooks alot of talent to do something like this.

Now, could you please clarify 3 "small" things, first, is this an extension of the monitor? i mean it recognizes only the colours of the bottom?, second this works for games? or videos/movies only?, 3rd how in the world can i install it? is there an easier way to do it? im a complete beginer in this npm github etc stuff, i really tried, i've got the git, the npm, but i still getting some errors and warns in the cmd when i try to install it.

thank you!

Hey man, first of all great job tooks alot of talent to do something like this.

Now, could you please clarify 3 "small" things, first, is this an extension of the monitor? i mean it recognizes only the colours of the bottom?, second this works for games? or videos/movies only?, 3rd how in the world can i install it? is there an easier way to do it? im a complete beginer in this npm github etc stuff, i really tried, i've got the git, the npm, but i still getting some errors and warns in the cmd when i try to install it.

thank you!

It only works in non-games, because of the screen capturing.

It uses a program (ffmpeg) to record a bar of pixels on the lower part of your display (shouldn't impact performance that much)

This is really cool, been waiting for someone to do this on the forums. Unfortunately I have no idea how to install this :(

I've got a experimental (easy) version https://github.com/Yannicked/nw-cue-effects/releases/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This is amazing holy crap, great job!!

Doesn't seem to work on my K70 though..

(Or I dont really know what I have to do)

could someone made this effect to CUE profile for k95 ?

I'll try to look into the K70 and K95, but I haven't got one to test

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Many thanks! Illumination is very weak on K70 RGB...

It would be great if it would work in games,too...

The effect is indeed less appearant on the k70, this because it doesn't have a white backplate. Games usually bypass the Windows Desktop Manager, which I'm using to generate the effect. I've looked into other means of getting colors from the display, but I haven't had any luck so far. In some games you have the option to select "Fullscreen Windowed", this should work.

I'm assuming some code has to be reworked slightly for the RAPIDFIRE? If you don't mind? =P

To my knowledge the rapidfire is just a k70 with diffrent switches/keycaps, it might actually work already.

hi, can someone do a simple tutorial to use it, i don´t know how to install it

I made a quick video on how to install/use this [ame]

[/ame]

I guess I should just look at the code and fix it? =/

You are welcome to submit a pull request on github

The source code for the effect can be found here https://github.com/Yannicked/node-cue-ambient

The source code for the GUI can be found here https://github.com/Yannicked/nw-cue-effects

Is this project dead?

It's not dead, I just haven't had much time to work on it because of school.

I can't seem to get this to work (on a STRAFE). Everything is installed correctly; I even watched the video to double check.

I can get the .exe to open and the GUI pops up, but I can't interact with the buttons. They register being clicked, but won't switch from "Off" to "On".

Does anyone have any insight into this? Was there a prerequisite before installing that I missed?

I can't seem to get this to work (on a STRAFE). Everything is installed correctly; I even watched the video to double check.

I can get the .exe to open and the GUI pops up, but I can't interact with the buttons. They register being clicked, but won't switch from "Off" to "On".

Does anyone have any insight into this? Was there a prerequisite before installing that I missed?

Have you enabled the SDK in CUE?

• 1 month later...

I like this project.

Taking only a line of pixels leads to a lot of flickering, since single pixels change fast.

I would suggest to take the whole image and simply map it to the keyboard by averaging enough pixels to fit one key. Using a smooth transition function from one frame to the next would prevent the keyboard from flickering. I might do this when I find some spare time.

I like this project.

Taking only a line of pixels leads to a lot of flickering, since single pixels change fast.

I would suggest to take the whole image and simply map it to the keyboard by averaging enough pixels to fit one key. Using a smooth transition function from one frame to the next would prevent the keyboard from flickering. I might do this when I find some spare time.

So far I've been capturing the bottom 25% (you can easily change this value on line 29 of index.js) of the display, resize it to (width of the keyboard reported by the sdk)x1px since using 100% of your display was kinda cpu intensive (to do this, I've written a small binding for node.js). Then for every key on the keyboard it averages a value. I've looked into smoothing the output, but I haven't had the time to do so.

You're welcome to contribute to the github!

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem. GUI is shown, but I can't interact with the buttons. :(:

K70 RGB Rapidfire (DE) and win7 x64

Edit: debug log:

[0328/235044:INFO:nw_package.cc(175)] "D:\99 Yannick Programmeren\Source Code\nw.js\build\cue-effects\win64\cue-effects.exe"

[0328/235047:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(729)] Failed to load D:\99 Yannick Programmeren\Source Code\nw.js\build\cue-effects\win64\nw_100_percent.pak

Some features may not be available.

[0328/235420:ERROR:process_info.cc(608)] range at 0x1cf6448400000000, size 0x2d7 fully unreadable

[0328/235420:ERROR:process_info.cc(608)] range at 0x1cf644a400000000, size 0x2d7 fully unreadable

[0328/235420:ERROR:process_info.cc(608)] range at 0x0, size 0x2d7 fully unreadable

[0816/154008:INFO:nw_package.cc(175)] "C:\Users\XXXX\Desktop\win64\win64\cue-effects.exe"

[0816/154019:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(729)] Failed to load C:\Users\XXXX\Desktop\win64\win64\nw_100_percent.pak

[0816/154019:ERROR:image_metadata_extractor.cc(114)] Couldn't load libexif. 126

[0816/154019:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(729)] Failed to load C:\Users\XXXX\Desktop\win64\win64\nw_100_percent.pak

[0816/154049:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(729)] Failed to load C:\Users\XXXX\Desktop\win64\win64\nw_100_percent.pak

[0816/154049:ERROR:image_metadata_extractor.cc(114)] Couldn't load libexif. 126

[0816/154119:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(729)] Failed to load C:\Users\XXXX\Desktop\win64\win64\nw_100_percent.pak

[0816/154119:ERROR:image_metadata_extractor.cc(114)] Couldn't load libexif. 126

D:\99 Yannick Programmeren\ looks like you hardcoded some of your paths into the source code ;):

Archived