The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Keyboards and Mice

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2016, 12:03 AM

POST ID # = 832886
Mister Daft Reputation: 10
Exclamation Sugary fluid spilled in keyboard.

Title has most of the details I'm afraid, but here is the full situation:

I accidentally spilled a sugary fluid (tea) onto the end of the keyboard, in the general area of the numberpad, keypad and continued on into the rest of the keyboard. Immediately afterward, it seemed to spasm in a sort of way (I was in SW:TOR at the time, and I saw my character moving in every direction, chat open and a serious of numbers and letters appear.) before entirely just shutting off. Or at least, what I assumed was shutting down. Regardless, I unplugged it and my mouse (which was plugged into the Strafe's own USB port) and drained the fluid out some and set it out to dry on a towel. Doing a quick google search to see if anyone else had had this problem, I found this forum post:
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=104486

I know, it was outdated and not the same model keyboard, but it was the best info I had to work with on really short notice. So, taking the keyboard to my sink to let drain some more, I took some contact lenses cleaner and squirted a good amount into the keyboard with the keys still on, that way while I would be removing the keys the switches themselves would not be drying with a coating of sugary fluid. Afterward, I removed the switches and gave it anther good squirt of cleaner wash just in case I missed any switches while the keys had still been on. Now, it is currently being left to dry and drain nearby.

So, here are my questions I have for those of you who can help:

A) Can my keyboard be saved from its sugary, peach-flavored fate?

B) Is there any other method I can try to clean it out of any other fluid, or by putting more fluid in have I royally messed up?

C) Is there any other resources I should be checking for help with this problem?

Thank you for your time in reading this, and I hope someone can provide some help with this issue. Thanks!

(Sidenotes:)

I have already contacted the authorized merchant I purchased this from (BestBuy) and have been assured the the protection/replacement/recovery plan I purchased does indeed cover this. I just want to know if I can fix it myself before taking it back to get a new one.

I would also be happy to provide images of the keyboard itself if that is necessary for further problem diagnosis.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:30 AM
Bearded Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 832889
Technobeard Reputation: 68

If Best Buy will replace the keyboard, go down that route. It'll save you time and grief.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:37 AM

POST ID # = 832890
Mister Daft Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technobeard View Post
If Best Buy will replace the keyboard, go down that route. It'll save you time and grief.
I do plan to take it back, however, their policy on this requires I return it to a local BestBuy store and begin the process in person. Unfortunately, my location is basically in the middle of nowhere and the nearest best buy is a decent distance away, about an hour or so and rather inconvenient. And that would just be beginning the process. I just want to see if there is anything I can do in the meantime. But, since you clearly have the superior knowledge base on this, I will take this into serious account.

Oh, and thank you for replying so quickly! I greatly appreciate your advice in this.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:17 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team

POST ID # = 832894
Inheritance Reputation: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Daft View Post
I do plan to take it back, however, their policy on this requires I return it to a local BestBuy store and begin the process in person. Unfortunately, my location is basically in the middle of nowhere and the nearest best buy is a decent distance away, about an hour or so and rather inconvenient. And that would just be beginning the process. I just want to see if there is anything I can do in the meantime. But, since you clearly have the superior knowledge base on this, I will take this into serious account.

Oh, and thank you for replying so quickly! I greatly appreciate your advice in this.
Its not that there isnt things you can try. It more of a if they will replace it rn go and get it swapped out instead of risking BestBuy refusing to replace it, because you did something else to it.
I AM NO LONGER SUPER ACTIVE ON THIS FORUM PLEASE PM ME ON DISCORD

Old 01-24-2016, 01:00 PM
Bearded Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 832982
Technobeard Reputation: 68

If it was me I'd take it there when you can. That way you know for sure that there isn't any liquid hiding somewhere.

Tags
spilled on keyboard