The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Audio

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 07:42 PM
8Ac3's PC Specs

POST ID # = 620869
8Ac3 Reputation: 10
Default Vengeance 1500 high pitched sound reason

Hi Guys,

I have been visiting this forum on a number of occasions in the last few weeks hoping to find an updated Windows 8 driver to fix the known issue of the high pitched noise that only occurs when the microphone is active, including just opening the "Recording" tab in the sound properties. Unfortunately this hasn't happened and a lot of people who are having this issue are having to put up with it or are being told to rma the headset as it is faulty, or are using the default Windows USB audio driver.

As it pretty much has already been shown that the issue is not hardware related but software related my solution was to run with the default Microsoft USB audio drivers and this has worked to a point, but I do have performance issues in game whilst using mumble at the same time which led me to do some troubleshooting of my own.

What I have found is that the issue with the Corsair driver is that there is no option within the "Playback" options for the headset on the "Levels" tab there is no option to mute the "Line" only "Microphone".

I changed the driver to the "Microsoft USB Audio" driver and the option for "Line" is now available as an option to be muted.

Now, if I mute the "Line" option then success! No more issues with high pitched whine only when the microphone is active. However, if I un-mute the "Line" option then I then get the same high pitched whine as I do with the Corsair drivers.

Now obviously with what I have just suggested the problem cannot be that the Corsair drivers are faulty as the same issue can be recreated with the Microsoft drivers, however the issue is that the Corsair drivers are missing a key function whereby we as users cannot change the required setting as the slider/mute button is unavailable.

If anyone else who is having these issues could try and recreate this and either backup or prove otherwise I would appreciate the effort and hopefully this will not go unnoticed and a driver update can be released with the options required to mute the line-in on the playback properties for the headset.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:09 AM
Jli72's PC Specs

POST ID # = 620957
Jli72 Reputation: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to Jli72

If only corsair would update the drivers.......

Old 12-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 621060
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Yes, if multiple people can solve their "buzzing" or "mic whine" with this, please post here so I can see if it is an issue that persists so I can forward it to our engineering team. Of course, this does suggest, as you have presumed, that the issue isn't with the Corsair drivers and software. However, this would be something we could investigate when I pass it to them.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 621061

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jli72 View Post
If only corsair would update the drivers.......
Do you have this issue too and confirmed the fix?

Old 12-21-2012, 02:52 PM
8Ac3's PC Specs

POST ID # = 621082

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
Yes, if multiple people can solve their "buzzing" or "mic whine" with this, please post here so I can see if it is an issue that persists so I can forward it to our engineering team. Of course, this does suggest, as you have presumed, that the issue isn't with the Corsair drivers and software. However, this would be something we could investigate when I pass it to them.
Although I have suggested that this is a solution, it is however limited as using the default Microsoft USB driver means limits on the sound quality settings that can be enabled as well as losing the "Corsair USB Headset Control Panel". What would be ideal would be for the "missing" option, whatever that option might be, to be visible to that the input source can be disabled, which would mean a new driver from yourselves.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Smackzter's PC Specs

POST ID # = 621694
Smackzter Reputation: 10
Default Cheers! It worked

This worked just fine for me.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 623049

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Ac3 View Post
Although I have suggested that this is a solution, it is however limited as using the default Microsoft USB driver means limits on the sound quality settings that can be enabled as well as losing the "Corsair USB Headset Control Panel". What would be ideal would be for the "missing" option, whatever that option might be, to be visible to that the input source can be disabled, which would mean a new driver from yourselves.
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see if this really does solve most people's problems with the issue. If it does, then I can pass it along to the audio team to investigate why the Line In is causing additional noise.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 PM
8Ac3's PC Specs

POST ID # = 623230

Quote:
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see if this really does solve most people's problems with the issue. If it does, then I can pass it along to the audio team to investigate why the Line In is causing additional noise.
Thanks, but obviously I would like it if this was passed on anyway. If it cannot be passed on can I RMA this headset and have it replaced with a Vengeance 1300? My 1500 is a RMA replacement from the HS1 which didn't have this problem and as you didn't have any HS1's in stock I got a 1500. At this stage I think I would prefer to go down the analog route if truth be told.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 623491

I have passed something like this along already but it is not something we can repeat at this time.

As for the downgrade, you would have to contact customer service to request it.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:34 PM
helvetesharpe's PC Specs

POST ID # = 624933
helvetesharpe Reputation: 10

Just wanted to pitch in that reverting to the 2010 Microsoft driver and muting Line-In in the playback fixed the problem on my end as well.

Also: not only did it fix the deal-breaker that was the loud high-pitched whine that occurred whenever any program accessed the microphone, but it also removed the constant background hiss. Happy days!

The only downside to this "fix" is that with the Microsoft driver, even setting the windows volume control to "1" is too loud, so I need to set sound in every program down to 5-10%.

Hoping this is something that makes it into the next Corsair driver so that I can use the headset properly (be able to use the volume control).

Last edited by helvetesharpe; 01-09-2013 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Syntax

Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 AM

POST ID # = 625413
Cturner24 Reputation: 10
Default Fix seems to have worked

As the title says, the fix seems to have worked but I switched back to the Corsair driver because of the sound quality I was missing with windows basic usb audio drivers. The sound is very annoying still because I know its there and would really like for a new driver from Corsair to fix this problem.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Lucius7x's PC Specs

POST ID # = 625476
Lucius7x Reputation: 10

I happen to have very sensitive hearing, so this high pitch sound is pretty annoying for me. Using the Microsoft drivers and muting both "Line" and "Microphone" options on the speakers panel dramatically decreased this high pitch sound, although i can still hear it faintly, especially if i mute the microphone from the inline controller. Also, since Windows disables the headphones when there is no audio input, there is no white noise, something that doesn't happen with Corsair drivers because they keep the headset always on, so you can hear the amplified signal noise even though there is no audio input.

I also noticed that while using the Corsair drivers, enabling the option "Listen to this device" on the microphone settings of Windows will make the high pitch sound constant, even when the mic is not active, and is increased even more if the mic is muted from the inline controller. This also makes the loopback option on the Corsair control panel useless, because it is bypassed by this option (which is a lot louder too).

If i don't use this "Listen to this device" option, i hear the high pitch sound only when the mic is active, but i will always hear the loopback even when the mic is muted from the inline controller (but i can still disable the loopback from the Corsair control panel).

Another weird thing i noticed is that without this "Listen to this device" option, the sounds from Windows (like the startup tune or the click when you change folders) are cut out and you can hear only a fraction of it. If i enable the "Listen to this device" option however, the sounds from Windows are fine.

This really seems like a driver issue to me, or to be more precise, a sort of conflict between Corsair drivers and Windows (Win 7 x64 in my case).

Last edited by Lucius7x; 01-11-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:52 PM
8Ac3's PC Specs

POST ID # = 626290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius7x View Post
I happen to have very sensitive hearing, so this high pitch sound is pretty annoying for me. Using the Microsoft drivers and muting both "Line" and "Microphone" options on the speakers panel dramatically decreased this high pitch sound, although i can still hear it faintly, especially if i mute the microphone from the inline controller. Also, since Windows disables the headphones when there is no audio input, there is no white noise, something that doesn't happen with Corsair drivers because they keep the headset always on, so you can hear the amplified signal noise even though there is no audio input.

I also noticed that while using the Corsair drivers, enabling the option "Listen to this device" on the microphone settings of Windows will make the high pitch sound constant, even when the mic is not active, and is increased even more if the mic is muted from the inline controller. This also makes the loopback option on the Corsair control panel useless, because it is bypassed by this option (which is a lot louder too).

If i don't use this "Listen to this device" option, i hear the high pitch sound only when the mic is active, but i will always hear the loopback even when the mic is muted from the inline controller (but i can still disable the loopback from the Corsair control panel).

Another weird thing i noticed is that without this "Listen to this device" option, the sounds from Windows (like the startup tune or the click when you change folders) are cut out and you can hear only a fraction of it. If i enable the "Listen to this device" option however, the sounds from Windows are fine.

This really seems like a driver issue to me, or to be more precise, a sort of conflict between Corsair drivers and Windows (Win 7 x64 in my case).
Sorry to hear you having the same issues, but glad that you are backing up what I have found. For the record I have contacted customer services and requested a replacement for the 1500 with a 1300 which I will pair up with a xonar as the issues with the white noise and the high pitched whine are too much to look past. It's a shame, but tbh, I don't see a driver update coming any time soon.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 626300

I'm just curious but have any of you tried the headset on a different PC at a different location?

I ask this because I have had quite a few number of people report to me that the nature of the noise was related to grounding issues with their electrical outlet. I want to confirm if they're isolated issues or related here. This was one of the reasons why even though we got many headsets back with the noise, we couldn't get it to repeat here in the lab, or why we would test it to work perfectly here but customers would get a "noisy" headset.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM
8Ac3's PC Specs

POST ID # = 626363

Quote:
I'm just curious but have any of you tried the headset on a different PC at a different location?

I ask this because I have had quite a few number of people report to me that the nature of the noise was related to grounding issues with their electrical outlet. I want to confirm if they're isolated issues or related here. This was one of the reasons why even though we got many headsets back with the noise, we couldn't get it to repeat here in the lab, or why we would test it to work perfectly here but customers would get a "noisy" headset.
Yes I have with exactly the same results across several machines in 3 different locations. If it were a grounding issue then surely that would occur with the Microsoft drivers as well as a grounding issue would suggest it was a physical problem with either the headset or the machine it was attached to, not the driver?