Corsair Community

Harpoon Wireless Tracking Issues (and others)

Hi - I registered here because I LOVE this mouse, and I HATE this mouse.

I love it because it's the perfect mouse for my super weird claw grip, I love the weight, and I love how it works (WHEN it's working).

I hate this thing because it randomly (every 30 seconds or so) lags at tracking my movements, and every few minutes it STOPS tracking completely; I move the mouse, but the pointer remains completely stuck in place. When this happens, I can still click the buttons - for example, right-clicking brings up the menu, etc - but the pointer will NOT move until I lift the mouse then put it back down. Until I pick it up, it will remain stuck regardless of the wild movements I make.

EDIT: This issue persists whether I use the mouse wirelessly or wired. I have not tried BT, but that won't solve anything anyway.

I have tried this on 3 Harpoon Wireless mice, with old firmwares, with latest firmwares, with wire, with dongle, with polling rate at 1000, 500, 125, etc. I have changed the DPI settings, I've changed the lighting settings, I've turned off the lighting settings, I've turned off the sleep settings.

I've even disabled the "Allow computer to put this device to sleep" setting in Device Manager for EVERY USB device and hub I could find.

I've uninstalled iCUE, I've reinstalled iCUE, I've tried older version of iCUE.

The result is always the same.

Then when I grab my Razer Mamba from my other computer and plug it in to the SAME USB port as the Harpoon was using, everything works flawlessly.

When I plug the Harpoon in to other computers, regardless of USB port or revision (USB 2.0 or 3.0) it always does the same weird tracking drop outs and lags.

Guys, if anyone out there has some kind of solution or has experienced the same issues, please speak up because this thingy is driving me nuts but I don't want to give it up.

Thanks for reading this far!

2 days and not one person has stepped forward; I must then assume that my issue is a terrible streak of bad luck with the 3 Harpoons I've used.

I'm quite disappointed in the whole situation, and I only hope that a firmware is released soon which addresses these tracking issues which I'm SURE some people have experienced, even if they're remaining quiet.

• Corsair Employee

Please go to CONTROL PANEL / HARDWARE AND SOUND / POWER OPTIONS and then click on CHANGE PLAN SETTINGS (for your current default power plan). After that click on CHANGE ADVANCED POWER SETTINGS.

When new window opens, scroll down the list a bit until you hit USB SETTINGS. Click little square with plus in it, and then click another little square with plus next to USB SELECTIVE SUSPEND SETTING. Check the state of it, and make sure it's set to DISABLED. Then restart the PC.

See if that makes any difference. Hope this helps.

• Corsair Employee
Have you made a support ticket regarding this issue? I'm surprised you would have this issue on 3 different mice and on different systems. The only thing I could think of is if you have other wireless device near by or a wireless router that is kicking the harpoon out of its channel.

I haven't made a support ticket, no. I'll go ahead and do that.

And I was as surprised as you are; when I got the second mouse (swapped at the store) I thought I was super unlucky. When I swapped for another one at the store and got the same results, I had to conclude it was a hardware/firmware issue. (I've almost never used the mouse in wireless mode, so it has nothing to do with wireless interference).

But considering nobody else has spoken up, I guess I'm alone and the unluckiest gamer of 2019.

UPDATE:

I used my phone camera to look at the sensor below the mouse when it was directly plugged in to the USB port, and it would have a full, bright light for a few seconds after lifting it up, then it would sort of flicker and fade out until I ran my finger over it. Had the same behavior on all ports across different systems.

But when I plugged the Harpoon in to a USB hub (powered by the same USB port, NOT externally powered) the sensor light remained full and bright the whole time. I then proceeded to play some games and then do some web browsing and did NOT experience the same issues as before.

I am completely baffled.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm experiencing the same issue.

I thought that my 2.4ghz Wifi was interfering. So I turned it off and put on 5ghz only.

It seem to have worked smoother but after a while the problem came back.

Turned of wifi completely. Problem persisted. Could it be that the neighbours WIFI's are interfering? The mouse surely can't be THAT sensetive???

I'm starting to think that I have a faulty device...

Wired works "fine". However, some times the mouse does a spontanious "upswing" when gaming... :evil:

So sad cause the mouse it self is so nice.

• 11 months later...
I had a bunch of problems with the mouse playing games, and even just playing Hearthstone, but I thought about it and I connected it kinda far away from it so I connected it to the redirect on my newly purchased Corsair Strafe MK.2 with Silent switches (Corsair.com) and I haven't gotten any lag since, if I do I will update this post but kinda of a dumb question, but how far is it and are there objects in front of the receiver, hopes this helps

Hi - I registered here because I LOVE this mouse, and I HATE this mouse.

I love it because it's the perfect mouse for my super weird claw grip, I love the weight, and I love how it works (WHEN it's working).

I hate this thing because it randomly (every 30 seconds or so) lags at tracking my movements, and every few minutes it STOPS tracking completely; I move the mouse, but the pointer remains completely stuck in place. When this happens, I can still click the buttons - for example, right-clicking brings up the menu, etc - but the pointer will NOT move until I lift the mouse then put it back down. Until I pick it up, it will remain stuck regardless of the wild movements I make.

EDIT: This issue persists whether I use the mouse wirelessly or wired. I have not tried BT, but that won't solve anything anyway.

I have tried this on 3 Harpoon Wireless mice, with old firmwares, with latest firmwares, with wire, with dongle, with polling rate at 1000, 500, 125, etc. I have changed the DPI settings, I've changed the lighting settings, I've turned off the lighting settings, I've turned off the sleep settings.

I've even disabled the "Allow computer to put this device to sleep" setting in Device Manager for EVERY USB device and hub I could find.

I've uninstalled iCUE, I've reinstalled iCUE, I've tried older version of iCUE.

The result is always the same.

Then when I grab my Razer Mamba from my other computer and plug it in to the SAME USB port as the Harpoon was using, everything works flawlessly.

When I plug the Harpoon in to other computers, regardless of USB port or revision (USB 2.0 or 3.0) it always does the same weird tracking drop outs and lags.

Guys, if anyone out there has some kind of solution or has experienced the same issues, please speak up because this thingy is driving me nuts but I don't want to give it up.

Thanks for reading this far!

You are definitely not alone. I have exactly the same problems and it is utterly frustrating. I cannot use my "wireless" mouse in wireless mode (not with the dongle and not with Bluetooth). When I use it with the provided USB cable, I don't have any of those problems.

At first everything was ok. The problems started to happen with the latest firmware upgrade (v1.9.85).

Since it is also not working with Bluetooth, I do not think that we have a frequency interference problem here. When I switch between USB ports, it works for a while (seconds, minutes at best), then exactly the same tracking problems start as described by @JackJeebs.

Uninstalling and re-installing devices, software as well as the latest AMD chipset drivers did not help. Also closing the icue software (completely) doesn't help either. I have practically tried everything I could.

I suspect the dongle and/or mouse firmware. Urgent action needed or else I will give this mouse back and switch to good old logitech.

Same issue here. Just bought the Harpoon yesterday, and issue was present immediately after plugging in the dongle.

Dongle FW: 1.7.58

Mouse FW: 1.9.85

Have tried:

Setting different dongle polling rates in ICUE= makes no difference.

Re-pairing = makes no difference.

Power plan settings = make no difference.

DPI setting = makes no difference.

• 3 weeks later...
It worked nicely, but after updates it just went crazy. I cannot use it wireless at all, it just lags non stop. I hope corsair addresses this issue as this mouse is gonna be my main for playing games and working on graphics, i really need this to work wirelessly (the whole point I bought it). I have been around the internet and nobody seems to have an answer.

I have a completely wireless setup consisting of headset, keyboard and mouse - each from different brands.

All threee use their own dongle.

EDIT:

I now have an open support case with Corsair.

They RMAed the mouse, but the refurbished one they sent me, immediatley exhibited the exact same behaviour.

Will post when there is something to report.

EDIT 2:

SOLVED - see below (oh...and Corsair, thanks for zero, niente, nothing, nada, zip - you've been of absolutely no help at all)

Edited by MrJacob
spelling

• 2 months later...

BUMP.

Just bought a Harpoon wireless and received it today. Immediately having the same issue. Hadnt even setup wireless, still using USB and getting inconsistent lag.

Any resolution?

Edited by Smock
clarity

• 2 weeks later...
Quick question - Is everyone who is experiencing this issue have multiple wireless devices? and are they corsair? I have wireless corsair mouse, keyboard and headphones. What I had to do was plug the mouse dongle into the rear of the case as you normally would and I plugged my headset and keyboard dongles into the back of my PC screen. I found this eliminated all my lag issues with my Harpoon mouse.

...... What I had to do was plug the mouse dongle into the rear of the case as you normally would and I plugged my headset and keyboard dongles into the back of my PC screen. I found this eliminated all my lag issues with my Harpoon mouse.

Spot on - I did exactely the same, and the lagging is gone.

On a sidenote: I had a support case with Corsair for 3 months, and at no point did they suggest anything along those lines.

In fact they RMA'ed the Harpoon, and when the replacement mouse acted up too, they offered me an Iron Claw instead (kind of 'here's a cup of STFU').

I refused the offer and just to try something else, ended up with moving the receiver instead (after having fiddled with drivers, iCUE, Windows settings, and what have you) and the problem was finally solved.

When I wrote Corsair about it, suggesting that the receiver is at fault (bad design, shielding, to small to properly separate it from the case), they just replied: "sorry, can't help you. Maybe updated software will."

I must say that although I am quite pleased with Corsair hardware in general, the lack of interest and engagement from Corsair support in solving the issue has really put me off.

I am afraid that I will have to say that this has been the worst experience from a seemingly decent company. Now that it is obvious there are multiple cases experiencing this wireless lag problem, rendering the mouse UNUSEABLE for its sole purpose of being wireless, I have no choice but to warn others and never recommend buying a mouse from here, especially those who are looking to get a professional mouse. They just don't work. Logitech or even a cheap generic wireless works better. Shouldn't have wasted our time and money with these folks.

• 2 weeks later...

So, i've been using the Harpoon for a few months now with my macbook pro, i'm also experiencing this issue, i always thought that it was just a compatibility issue, even tho it does say compatible with mac, but a simple switch on switch off lets it continue to work normally...

however.. i just got the ironclaw rgb wireless, i used both the 2.4ghz and the bluetooth, they both also have the same stuttering and choppy issues on my windows PC.

i plugged it to the PC to update both dongle and mouse firmware, but that didn't cure the problem, and i had this stupid idea maybe it was the battery, however the battery was well over 70%, so i plugged the ironclaw to a usb outlet and the cursor is moving as smooth as a babies bottom, indefinitely there must be something wrong with the transmitter and receiver components, i'm not saying the design is bad, i bought it cos i like the ergonimoics and RGB quality, but i have used 3-4 wireless gaming mouses before the harpoon and then the irconclaw and i must say, i have never encountered these type of problems before.

• 1 month later...
So, i've been using the Harpoon for a few months now with my macbook pro, i'm also experiencing this issue, i always thought that it was just a compatibility issue, even tho it does say compatible with mac, but a simple switch on switch off lets it continue to work normally...

however.. i just got the ironclaw rgb wireless, i used both the 2.4ghz and the bluetooth, they both also have the same stuttering and choppy issues on my windows PC.

i plugged it to the PC to update both dongle and mouse firmware, but that didn't cure the problem, and i had this stupid idea maybe it was the battery, however the battery was well over 70%, so i plugged the ironclaw to a usb outlet and the cursor is moving as smooth as a babies bottom, indefinitely there must be something wrong with the transmitter and receiver components, i'm not saying the design is bad, i bought it cos i like the ergonimoics and RGB quality, but i have used 3-4 wireless gaming mouses before the harpoon and then the irconclaw and i must say, i have never encountered these type of problems before.

I have the same problem (in both my gf intel based MacBook and my new M1 air). My Harpoon Wireless only works flawlessly in wired mode.That's really annoying...I bought it to use on my Ipad using Bluetooth and that's not working either... I ended up buying a cheap Logitech mouse...

• 1 month later...

Hi all, it has been about a year since I got my Harpoon mouse. But right out of the box when I use it on 2.4GHz wireless mode, the mouse will stutter. I have done every single recommended action to fix this issue and none has worked. All this while I have been using the mouse in wired mode. However, only today I free up one of my USB port on my IO (Aorus Elite X570 Wifi) and that is the standard USB port (not USB 3 port, both blue and red colour). When I plug the dongle into the basic USB port, all of the stuttering issues dissapear. I had to ensure that the stutting issue is truly gone so I played games for the entire day in wireless mode and truth behold, there was no stuttering at all.

Thus, this was my case for this unholy mouse. I had high hopes that I would like this mouse out of the box. Hopefully this might help to those that is facing the same issue as I am, as we do.