Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2018, 06:13 AM
EladZ's PC Specs

POST ID # = 934681
EladZ Reputation: 10
Default H115i - push pull setup

sorry i'm new here in the forum.

i built a computer that his goal is for gaming and oc.

my rig for my question is:
I7 8700K
H115I
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv
Asus Maximus X Hero WiFi AC

i went for push pull into the case fronted with the h115i
the fans who do the pushing is the sp140 that came with the kit, and the fan i want to do the pulling is the LL140.

now for my questions:
1. where do i connect the LL fans so they can sync with the SP by the cpu demand.
2. generally is it good or should i go with pull only?

thanks for help

Old 01-10-2018, 08:16 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 934709
DevBiker Reputation: 88

First, ff you have the fans installed in the front of the case, then the LL fans should be in the front, pushing and the SP fans should be in the back, pulling.
Second, you should control the fans based on the coolant temperature, not the CPU temperature. They are, after all, directly cooling the coolant, not the CPU. Furthermore, basing your radiator fan curves on the CPU temperature will lead to pretty spiky fans, something that is most unpleasant with those stock fans.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:35 AM
EladZ's PC Specs

POST ID # = 934718

thank you for quick replay.

i need to arrange things based on your knowledge

what o currently have is:
H115I
2 STOCK SP140 FANS - you say that should pull and not push (inside case)
2 LL 140 - you say that should push (inside case)

3 LL120 that set up in the case to push out air

1 LL120 on push pull mode on rear case (graphic card aio fan on pull mode and LL on push mode)

now than,
for the most complicated thing, the connection and controlling

how do i optimize the fan controlling ? where do every fan need to be connected ?
i have ASUS MAXIMUS X HERO MB with:
(1 X 4 PIN CPU FAN, 1 X 4 PIN CPU_OPT, 3 X 4 Pin Chassis Fan, 1 X EXT FAN, H_AMP X 1, W_PUMP X 1, and in out and flow...)

NODE PRO, RGB HUB

do i need splitters? an PWN HUB for fans?

Old 01-10-2018, 09:13 AM
EladZ's PC Specs

POST ID # = 934727

https://imgur.com/a/P0KP2

Old 01-10-2018, 09:18 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 934729

Here's a thought for you:
Why not go with the H115i PRO? Better stock fans, better RGB ... and it comes with the screws push/pull mounting. It's also SATA powered so you can connect all of the fans directly to the cooler (with splitters) AND you have independent control over each fan line (so LL's as Fan 1 and stock ML's as Fan 2)?
That will leave you with 4 fans to connect to the motherboard. Which header you connect them to is up to you; more important is the temperature that you use for the fan curve. CPU temperature isn't directly relevant; internal ambient temperature IS relevant. That motherboard does have a connector for a temperature probe or you can try out one of the motherboard sensors (hard to tell which one is which tho).

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:30 AM
EladZ's PC Specs

POST ID # = 934730

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
Here's a thought for you:
Why not go with the H115i PRO? Better stock fans, better RGB ... and it comes with the screws push/pull mounting. It's also SATA powered so you can connect all of the fans directly to the cooler (with splitters) AND you have independent control over each fan line (so LL's as Fan 1 and stock ML's as Fan 2)?
That will leave you with 4 fans to connect to the motherboard. Which header you connect them to is up to you; more important is the temperature that you use for the fan curve. CPU temperature isn't directly relevant; internal ambient temperature IS relevant. That motherboard does have a connector for a temperature probe or you can try out one of the motherboard sensors (hard to tell which one is which tho).
too late for me, cause i already own that.

i just don't know where to connect the fans to mb connectors ? cha_fan? cpu_fan? cpu_opt? aio_pump? ext_fan? is there a differences ?

Old 01-10-2018, 09:45 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 934734

Quote:
Originally Posted by EladZ View Post
too late for me, cause i already own that.
Ah, OK then!
Quote:
i just don't know where to connect the fans to mb connectors ? cha_fan? cpu_fan? cpu_opt? aio_pump? ext_fan? is there a differences ?
CPU_OPT will be identical to the CPU ... so that's typically not a good option. However, if the H115 is SATA powered (and I think that it is, off the top of my head), then you can absolutely use that as you won't need to set the CPU Fan Header to full speed. Any chassis fan will work (of course) AND ... here's a dirty secret ... the AIO_PUMP header is just a normal fan header that has Q-Fan control disabled. If you enable Q-Fan control for that in the BIOS, you can use it like any other fan header.
H_AMP is just a high amperage fan header but EXT_FAN is actually a different header type completely -- some kind of 5 pin fan that I don't recognize at all. H_AMP is an option, EXT_FAN is not. W_PUMP is pretty much the same as H_AMP ... except that it will follow the same settings as the AIO_PUMP header.
So ... here are the available headers:
AIO_PUMP/W_PUMP: Turn ON Q-Fan control and they will be controlled together.
CHA_FAN1-3: Normal fan headers.
CPU_OPT: An option IF the cooler is SATA Powered. Will follow fan settings for CPU_FAN header.
With the LL fans, splitters are definitely an option and can simplify things; both fans will be controlled as 1 unit. The LL fan doesn't have much power draw (0.3A) so that's not an issue. You could actually put 3 on a single 1A header but that's cutting it a little closer than I, personally, like to.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:47 AM
EladZ's PC Specs

POST ID # = 934741

thanks so much you helped me alot...

so beside ext_fan and h_amp i can use them all, i just need to set the q-fan in bios.

btw if opt_cpu is identical to cpu_fan its great i can use 4 of the fans that sit on the front block and it will behave the same.
(yes h115i has a sata connection)

i just need to see how can i sync the fan with the gpu stock fan cause i cant get rid of him.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:48 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 934742

I think that you can use H_AMP. It's a standard fan header ... just supports more amperage.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:45 AM
EladZ's PC Specs

POST ID # = 934744

great thanks, btw in my mb the only 2 connectors that are problematic its aio_pump and w_pump who runs at full speed as the manual says.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:15 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 934746

Quote:
great thanks, btw in my mb the only 2 connectors that are problematic its aio_pump and w_pump who runs at full speed as the manual says.
They are at full speed by default.
You can turn on Q-Fan control for the AIO_PUMP header. So that's actually not a problem. However, like CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT, they will be synchronized for control.
Or you can go with a Commander Pro and have no worries ...