Corsair Community

Radiator Orientation - H150i, H100i, etc

jroymd

Whenever I see pictures and videos of AIO cooling systems I never see a discussion about radiator orientation. Almost all systems displayed on websites and advertisements seem to have the intake and output tubes at the top of the radiator, usually for mounting convenience, I assume. The problem is that all sealed AIO systems contain a small amount of air with the cooling fluid. Since air naturally floats to the top of the fluid (and therefore the radiator) the CPU pump end up pumping mostly fluid but also a lot of bubbles, which is referred to as cavitation (see The Hunt for Red October), which decreases the pump efficiency and probably shortens the life of the pump. These AIO pump systems are analogous to gasoline powered automotive engine cooling systems where typically there is an intake hose at the top of the radiator and a lower hose receiving hotter coolant from the engine. The main difference here is that cars have a reservoir system that not only receives excess coolant from thermal expansion, but also vents residual air at the top of the radiator and only aspirates coolant back into the radiator.

So my obvious question is why aren't all AIO systems designed with the intention of mounting the tubes to be placed at the bottom of the radiator?