Corsair Community

Should I install H60 fan as intake or exhaust

kevin99111

I'm building my first pc, and I don't know what direction to put my fans in. Currently, the case I have is the Fractal Design Focus G, which has 2 intake fans in the front. The instructions for the H60 recommends to put the H60 fan as intake, but then I would have no fans as exhaust. Is having all my fans as intake fine? Should I put all my fans as intake, put the H60 fan as exhaust instead, or should I buy some more fans as exhaust? If I need more fans, what fans should I buy and how many should I buy? This is my first pc so I don't really know that much.

The problem with putting that cooler as exhaust - whether in the back or on top - is that it'll be exhausting GPU heat into the cooler. This will significantly increase the temperature of the coolant, with a direct impact on its ability to cool your CPU. Hence, the recommendation to install it as intake.

What I'd suggest is, if possible install the cooler at the top as intake. You have a filter on the top, so that's good (you want your intake to be filtered). Get one additional fan and put it in the back as exhaust. This will help ensure that the warmer air from the radiator is exhausted immediately as well as pull the intake from the front towards the rear and over the components.

Having all intake isn't necessarily a bad thing. It creates positive pressure in the case. The air will still get out - through the cracks and crevices in the case. But it is better to have at least one exhaust fan to direct the hot air out, hence the suggestion to get one more fan. If you get a second fan, you could install that as intake at the top as well.

That would match the LEDs that you have?

For this use case, the Corsair AF fans would be suitable (https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/AF-LED-Low-Noise-Cooling-Fan/p/CO-9050082-WW).

The ML fans are more expensive but excellent: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/ml-pro-led-config/p/CO-9050041-WW.

Certainly, both of these will be available from other vendors for, perhaps, a better price.

The super-cheap fans are rarely any good. They'll be noisier and, more importantly, won't last due to bearings wearing out.