Corsair Community

Corsair airflow case and fan compatibility question

Homesliicee

Hi everyone.

First time pc build/pc world.

I got a corsair airflow case and as I understand, it comes with 3 sp120 fans and a lighting node included in the case. I also got a corsair cooler h100i which comes with ml fans.

I'm a bit confused with compatibility. I read that in order to control all fans together with the included lighting node, they all need to be the same model which is sp120. Is that correct?

If so, do I need to put aside the ml fans that come with the cooler and buy 3 separate sp120 fans?

I would really appreciate the help as I have been looking online for this specific question.

Thanks in advance

You need to be specific about your hardware. The case will have a number like 220T, 460X, etc. There are two different types of SP-RGB fans and the distinction is relevant.

Also, there are a lot of “H100i” models. Most likely you have a H100i PRO or Platinum and again, the distinction is essential.

Hi buddy.. you mean the iCUE 220T RGB Airflow Tempered Glass Mid-Tower Smart Case ?

http://i.imgur.com/S7vLof3m.png

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Mid-Tower-ATX-Cases/iCUE-220T-RGB-Airflow-Tempered-Glass-Mid-Tower-Smart-Case/p/CC-9011174-WW

Re the Cooler... you would run the coolers fans off of the cooler.. this ensures correct operation of your cooling system regardless of OS or other software/hardware.. assuming its a Platinum cooler then it will also control the RGB of those fans.

Re the SP RGB Pro Fans.. if you plan to keep the Supplied SP RGB Pro Fans in the machine then you would need to use SP RGB Pro fan if you add any...

now it gets technical.

if you plan to use the SP RGB Pro Fans in place of the AIO's Fans you will need to power them in some other way as the are Voltage controlled and the AIO will only control PWM fans. Voltage controlled fans will run at full speed all the time.

maybe worth the read also

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

Edited by Zotty

Thanks for the reply. I apologize, I should have been more specific. It is indeed the 220t case. I have the h100i pro and not the platinum. I also bought a 3 pack fans (Corsair Icue SP120 RGB Pro Performance 120mm Triple Fan Kit with Lighting Node Core) I hope those are the same ones as the case has.

My guess is that I replace the ml fans that come with the cooler and use the sp120 fans to plug in with the other included fans onto the lighting node that is already in the case. Please correct me if I’m wrong or missing something.

Side question if you could. The radiator that is with the h100i pro rgb. Does it fit above the my case even with the ram kind of in the way. I watched some videos and they were having issues putting the radiator and the fans at the top together. The ram sticks were in the way, but looking at the Corsair built on their website, it looks like the radiator is in the front with the included front fans and not at the top of the case.

Forgive me if that’s not clear. I’m completely new to the pc world.

My guess is that I replace the ml fans that come with the cooler and use the sp120 fans to plug in with the other included fans onto the lighting node that is already in the case. Please correct me if I’m wrong or missing something.

That will work fine for the lighting and get you what you want. However, the fan motor on the SP-fans is a DC motor and will not work with the PWM fan controller on the H100i Pro. You will need to power the radiator fans from the motherboard and use whatever controls are available there.

As for 240mm radiator top mount... no idea. These mid-size to small cases are tough with each unique motherboard, RAM, and case combination a puzzle. Super tall RAM almost always dooms you. However, most people may be better off with a front mounted radiator when in combination with an air cooled GPU. You are getting the CPU radiator out of the heat zone and the area above the motherboard is warm to begin with even with no GPU load. Since your fans are all the same, it doesn't impact that choice either. The one snag may be GPU length.