Corsair Community

Do I have a faulty coolant temp sensor? (H100i RGB Platinum SE)

subn3t

I've also noticed much higher temperatures lately (similar to what others have been reporting) and also noticed that when I switch the lighting on the pump off (or dimmer or less colors), the reported coolant temperature goes down to similar levels as before. It seems like for my H115i RGB Platinum the issue only occurs with version 3.13.94 of iCue, however. Going back to 3.12.118, the coolant temperature reading doesn't seem to be affected by the RGB lighting being on or off and lower in general. Going back to 3.13.94 will have the issue appear again. So this might actually be an iCue bug or something that has changed about temperature readings in the latest version so that they are affected by lighting now (Could it be that there used to be some sort of modifier/compensation for the number of lights being enabled built in in older versions that got removed in 3.13.94?). Has anybody else noticed this discrepancy in the different iCue versions or is it happening just for me?

It sure is a problem when you're working with custom temperature curves (or even the pre-defined ones, as Extreme will spin up the fans to 100% almost always now) and you like to switch your RGB lighting effects often.

Update: I just noticed that when looking at the H115i RGB Platinum's Liquid Temperature while iCue isn't running in HWiNFO64, it always shows the lower temperature (as older verions of iCue do), no matter whether the hardware lighting is off, on single color, Spiral Rainbow, Rainbow Wave, etc.. So it might actually be a software issue with iCue 3.13.94 that causes the coolant temperature to display wrong with more LEDs enabled and not really the sensors being heated up by the LEDs (that would have to be some serious heat output anyhow, unless iCue causes some serious voltage spikes for each LED, but that would probably burn them out, too, so I doubt it).

Edited by Glzmo

Stumbled across this thread while searching if someone has a similar issue to mine, described in this thread:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186510

I tried turning off LED-s and now my idle water temperature is stable at around 30-32, no more rapid changes. I am currently in "what the actual bleep" mood, because my problems with this AIO cant seem to stop :(:

Oddly enough, I redid my internal USB wiring as I added an NZXT powered internal USB hub and the temperatures stopped misreading (sadly, it didn't help with the USB disconnects, but that's a different issue). They are nice and cool now even in iCue with the LEDs set to any effect.

Not sure if the USB hub actually changed it or if perhaps the re-initialization of the H115i RGB Platinum driver or iCue fixed it (I didn't reinstall iCue, it just reinitialized due to the different USB connection configuration). I think it might have been the latter.

I am having a similar issue with my CORSAIR H100i RGB PLATINUM SE where my temps with no RGB lights idle at 30-32 C, but when i revert back to the default rainbow lights, the temp rises to 40-42 C. At the same time, my CPU (9700K) stays at 34C.

temp1.PNG.e2d75029741f17fa3d027bfcd30d1acc.PNG

temp2.PNG.943264d7803e62a4f3a090d9d35c184b.PNG

• 4 weeks later...
Same issue after update icue and H110i platinum firmware. My coolant temp goes to 60C-70C and the fans start to MAX when this happen. (Why if I have set a custom fan curve to stay at 35% fan load all the time?) I don't want my cooler doing noise every 5 minutes and I would want a solution...CPU temp still around 40-45C gaming so...

Same issue after update icue and H110i platinum firmware. My coolant temp goes to 60C-70C and the fans start to MAX when this happen. (Why if I have set a custom fan curve to stay at 35% fan load all the time?) I don't want my cooler doing noise every 5 minutes and I would want a solution...CPU temp still around 40-45C gaming so...

Does this happen with the lighting off?

Does this happen with the lighting off?

With the light off, as I have now, temp is much lower...I'm testing but gaming the fan is not becoming crazy so...seems that the coolant temp is much lower with the lights off...I have opened a ticket...not sure if this is solved with a new hardware release or is only related to a firmware issue...

Most others are reporting a temperature shift of 5-7C with high intensity lighting. If you are seeing something like +20-30C, that is a much bigger problem and it will make control next to impossible. Leave the lights off and find out exactly where you coolant temperature rests at idle and load. I think the cooler needs to be replaced either way with a shift of that magnitude.

I'm so glad I found this, I noticed my coolant temps going up to almost 40*c which had me worried, then I turned the lights off and it went back to around 30-31*c lower if I don't run OC'd and thought I was going mad as surely the lights couldn't be doing anything?

Found this post and got confirmation that I wasn't going crazy!

Most others are reporting a temperature shift of 5-7C with high intensity lighting. If you are seeing something like +20-30C, that is a much bigger problem and it will make control next to impossible. Leave the lights off and find out exactly where you coolant temperature rests at idle and load. I think the cooler needs to be replaced either way with a shift of that magnitude.

So is bad? Fans and pump are working, this is broken after the firmware + icue update. Case has space to work well so..I don't know what to do..I bought in amazon, maybe I can return of do a RMA with corsair.

So is bad? Fans and pump are working, this is broken after the firmware + icue update. Case has space to work well so..I don't know what to do..I bought in amazon, maybe I can return of do a RMA with corsair.

It doesn't sound like the actually pump or cooler is bad. If you are seeing 45C CPU temps and the coolant/H100i Platinum Temp reads 60C, then it's the coolant sensor that is wonky and not an actual cooling issue. However, what you see in the post above is more typical of what others see. A +5C shift can be programmed into the fan curve and it is workable. +30C is not and it renders both your fan control and data monitoring useless. As I understand it, the issue is sensor location in proximity to the LEDs. It's too close and the small amount of heat is affecting the reading. I might guess your T-sensor is actually touching the LED and thus the incredible temperature readings.

You can certainly RMA it through Corsair and you have already taken the first steps by opening the ticket. Amazon is typically very easy to do returns with if you are a Prime member and it would be tough for anyone to beat that efficiency. Either way, if you really are seeing coolant temp in the 50-70C range, that cooler needs to go back.

It doesn't sound like the actually pump or cooler is bad. If you are seeing 45C CPU temps and the coolant/H100i Platinum Temp reads 60C, then it's the coolant sensor that is wonky and not an actual cooling issue. However, what you see in the post above is more typical of what others see. A +5C shift can be programmed into the fan curve and it is workable. +30C is not and it renders both your fan control and data monitoring useless. As I understand it, the issue is sensor location in proximity to the LEDs. It's too close and the small amount of heat is affecting the reading. I might guess your T-sensor is actually touching the LED and thus the incredible temperature readings.

You can certainly RMA it through Corsair and you have already taken the first steps by opening the ticket. Amazon is typically very easy to do returns with if you are a Prime member and it would be tough for anyone to beat that efficiency. Either way, if you really are seeing coolant temp in the 50-70C range, that cooler needs to go back.

Thanks c-attack.

Hmm I can rma on amazon but I'm worried if the send me the same HW revision of the cooler. Maybe corsair can send an updated version with the issue fixed...don't know...

UPDATE: My coolant temp when gaming for example escape from tarkov (a bit demanding game) is around 55C-60C with the lights off. If I turn the light...you know...and also sometimes is dropping to 30C, so...not sure if is the sensor or not. Think yes.

Edited by B0n0

UPDATE: My coolant temp when gaming for example escape from tarkov (a bit demanding game) is around 55C-60C with the lights off.

If the coolant temperature on the H100i Platinum tab is reaching 50-60C with the lights off, then there may be an additional issue as well. If true, your CPU temperature should be up in the 90s. You did not mention that, so I am more prone to think you have a bad sensor or mislaid sensor above and beyond the LED issue.

I was under the impression this temp thing is a physical issue and not a firmware or software problem. Whether or not you get it from Corsair or Amazon is up to you. I do not know if you would get a different "version" of the product from one or the other. I do think the one you have needs to go back.

If the coolant temperature on the H100i Platinum tab is reaching 50-60C with the lights off, then there may be an additional issue as well. If true, your CPU temperature should be up in the 90s. You did not mention that, so I am more prone to think you have a bad sensor or mislaid sensor above and beyond the LED issue.

I was under the impression this temp thing is a physical issue and not a firmware or software problem. Whether or not you get it from Corsair or Amazon is up to you. I do not know if you would get a different "version" of the product from one or the other. I do think the one you have needs to go back.

You are right, CPU temp is ok while the coolant temp is high...so yes...seems a bad sensor... :(

• 7 months later...

I am having literally the same problem with the H100i Platinum and have my settings pretty much the same as you. I think I have the fans to go between 30% to 45% depending on temp, but other than that the same setting and same problems. Within seconds I will go from 32 to 60-70 degrees suddenly with fans ramping to max stay like that for normally a few minutes and then it will go back down from 68c to 32c (for example) 5 seconds later like nothing ever happened.

It does it randomly under load and not under load. My CPU is being cooled fine still, but it has to be something with the sensor.