Corsair Community

AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPU and Cooler Installation

Corsair CJ

• Corsair Employees

Hey guys!

If you're curious about how to install an AMD Ryzen Threadripper processor and one of our coolers (such as the H80i v2, H100i v2, and H115i), check out this blog! If you have any questions let us know in the comments here.

attachment.php?attachmentid=30651&stc=1&d=1502471037

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2017/august/threadripper-installation

Users with our current Platinum series coolers have out of the box compatibility with systems using Threadripper since a bracket is provided.

Users with PRO series coolers will need to source a separate bracket from our website: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/PC-Components/Cooling-And-Corsair-Link/Hydro-Series-H100i-PRO-H115i-PRO-H150i-PRO-TR4-Mounting-Bracket-Kit/p/CW-8960054

RyzenThreadripper_CPU_Cooler_Cover.jpg.a18b45f538847c1a9f65eef867fa3252.jpg

Edited by Corsair CJ
Update for PRO and Platinum coolers

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
So, will my H100i GTX be compatible with Threadripper since the only difference between H100i GTX and v2 are compatibility with some intel mainboards?

It has to do with the Asetek adapter that comes in the Threadripper box. Whatever Asetek cooler you use has to be able to use the adapter.

I have used it and it works perfectly on my H115i cooler. Absolutely fantastic. Love my AMD threadripper.

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately Corsair doesn't offer a 360mm cooler right now, so I've opted for another product... still plan on using your Light Loop fans with it, though.

Just wait ... the mythical, magical H150i Pro is coming. It's been seen. We have pictures ... any day now ...

I mean no disrespect to Corsair, but their AIO was shown back in May - it's now December and it still hasn't materialised unless when select people with it to test have posted images/videos without permission.

I think they've spent more time making the illuminated plug than actually wanting to showcase a product with their several new fans released since then.

Edited by Hyncharas

• 4 weeks later...

One comment ... if you read the blog post, it says "rotate the cooler’s pre-installed bracket and remove it."

While true, that's not the whole story. If you grab the bracket and just rotate it, you won't get anywhere. At all.

Instead, if you are holding the bracket with the copper cold plate "up", then you need to push down slightly on the bracket. This releases the clips and allows you to then "rotate the cooler's pre-installed bracket and remove it".

• 1 month later...

Hello Corsair,

I am going to be building an AMD Ryzen Threadripper workstation pc to do CG rendering. I'm a novice builder (though I have an experienced pc-enthusiast friend who is helping me choose my parts and build my workstation pc).

My questions are: Will the Threadripper bracket fit on the new H150i Pro and H115i Pro coolers? Also my friend mentioned to me that Corsair is developing a new bracket for Threadripper support. Is this true and can you mention anything specific about this new bracket?

• 4 weeks later...

I recently bought a H115i PRO RGB for mounting on a Threadripper 1900X, since the installation guide on your blog clearly states that "CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES liquid coolers are ready for AMD Ryzen Threadripper, providing excellent cooling performance for AMD's new high end desktop platform." After having removed my old X99 motherboard and H100i cooler from the case I installed the new motherboard and the H115i PRO RGB radiator, but after installing the CPU and trying to fit the TR4 bracket to the H115i block I quickly realized something had changed, and after going through all the parts that came with the cooler, the CPU, and the motherboard, and not finding any way to mount the cooler to the CPU I'm honestly feeling cheated.

Is there a TR4 bracket available for the H115i PRO RGB, or should I return the cooler to your reseller and ask them to send me a replacement from another brand that is actually compatible with the TR4?

Since this thread hasn't got an official Corsair reply to a simple question asked almost a month ago I'm not holding my breath waiting for a response to my question.

At the time that post was written, the Hydro Series did not include the H115i Pro. The new Pro series coolers do not have a bracket for the Threadripper as of yet. The previous generation coolers (such as the H100i v2, etc) are compatible with Threadripper and, from what I understand, the bracket for them comes with Threadripper.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i made a similar mistake.

i went researching and everything i read came back as threadripper does not work with corsair the way it is supposed to. go with enermax brand coolers.

i called corsair on a lark cause im building a corsair based system. after talking to them and giving them a breakdown of what my system is they told me i need the 115i pro cooler as the 150i's won't fit with the limited depth in my case. and gave me a part number telling me to call back when i have the actual cooler in hand so they can get the serial number and send me my adapter so i can mount my cooler.

stupid me. "YAY okay cool i can do that thanks have a nice day!"

so i ordered my cooler it gets here i call them

service agent number 2's brain explodes. he says "ya we aren't making the mounting brackets for the threadrippers yet they are due sometime in the summer supposedly. im sorry the agent gave you that part number but thats for the old unit not the 115i pro. once the brackets get here they will be posted on the website. your just like the rest of us here at corsair with corsair coolers for our threadripper rigs we are awaiting the brackets to come in whenever that may be current word is sometime in may."

• 1 month later...
Hey guys!

If you're curious about how to install an AMD Ryzen Threadripper processor and one of our coolers (such as the H80i v2, H100i v2, and H115i), check out this blog! If you have any questions let us know in the comments here.

attachment.php?attachmentid=30651&stc=1&d=1502471037

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2017/august/threadripper-installation

Will a : Corsair Hydro Series, H150i PRO RGB, 360mm Radiator / Work with a AMD RYZEN Threadripper 1950X 16-Core / 32 Threads 3.4 GHz Socket sTR4

^ reply:

no it will not.

you need the standard Hydro series coolers and the in the package of the threadripper cpu bracket or the TR4 mounting bracket kit from the accessory store on here.

the Hydo pro coolers are brand new and have been designed diffrently then their predecessors.

we are supposed to get the hydro pro TR4 mounting brackets soon. but when nobody knows. customer service told me possibly may, but may came and went.

i have the H115 pro cooler and now i'm waiting for the pro series mounting bracket to be available just like the staff of corsair is.

Note:

thats why the pro series doesn't list the TR4's in it's needed specs list.

if you need a cooler asap serch for a TR4 cooler from a diffrent company like enermax which is designed specifically for the TR4 threadripper. or go with the standard model.

Edited by Kelrothi

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I just installing a h115i for a 2990 thread ripper for centos. I am doing this for linux, because of the window thread issues. On linux, the pump speed seems to be set at minimum even without usb connected, also my asrock 399 taichi board doesn't have any ability to change the pump speed? Is there any work arounds for this, for us linux guys ?

I just installing a h115i for a 2990 thread ripper for centos. I am doing this for linux, because of the window thread issues. On linux, the pump speed seems to be set at minimum even without usb connected, also my asrock 399 taichi board doesn't have any ability to change the pump speed? Is there any work arounds for this, for us linux guys ?

Nope.

And what "Windows thread issues"?

Nope.

And what "Windows thread issues"?

For people that max out the cores (i.e. render servers), windows starts thrashing moving the thread around when it doesn't need to (this is creating a lot of thread thrashing ... almost 50% overhead). This is only occuring on the 2990 (32 cores), 16 core this isn't happening - people were thinking there was a ram issue with the 2990 but it's purely a os issue which doesn't happen linux. [ame]
[/ame]

I have been btw looking at the open source version, i guess I could run that on boot up, called open corsair link. Seems kind of iffy for production(wish corsair atleast supported that build), but for now could save me in going out replacing the h115i? https://github.com/audiohacked/OpenCorsairLink

• 3 weeks later...

I am billing a higher-end Threadripper system but, currently, the 360 AIO options don't come with RGB fans if I am correct?

No problem since I already have some HD 120 RGB Fans already. But no so fast...

I believe that the old style AIOs that offer brackets that fit Threadripper don't have RGB Fans so I suspect any RGB that would replace them cannot be controlled through the AIO with Cue because Cue doesn't expect the stock fans to be RGB. Correct?

So my hope is that I can create a splitter that will allow me to connect the PWM signals on the 3 fans to the AOI, but split off the RGB signals to a Lighting Node Pro or a Commander Pro and ensure the fan colors are in-sync with Cue.

Possible?

For people that max out the cores (i.e. render servers), windows starts thrashing moving the thread around when it doesn't need to (this is creating a lot of thread thrashing ... almost 50% overhead). This is only occuring on the 2990 (32 cores), 16 core this isn't happening - people were thinking there was a ram issue with the 2990 but it's purely a os issue which doesn't happen linux.
[/url]

Good post, but just to expand on it for the 2970wx, though the 2970wx was not tested, it is NUMA like the 2990wx and I wonder if it is likely to have the problem. That is unless the problem is in the number of cores and threads (24/48 for the 2970wx versus 32/64 for the 2990wx) and not the NUMA architecture. Anyone have any experience with the 2970wx?

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...