Corsair Community

Question about case fan and AIO setup using 3 x LL120 and 1 x H115i RGB Plat

fakedevil

Hi all!

I recently started a mini project of building a nice PC again. So I bought the H115i AIO and thats installed on the front of the case with the ML140 pulling air through rad, I am waiting for another 3 LL120 which I intend to use as exhaust to the case.

Now I am wondering if I should get hte commander pro to combine the PWM fan controls? I suspect it would make my life a bit easier?

What about the RGB though? Would I connect all 5 fan's RGB cable to the single RGB hub I have from the LL120 kit?

You would still want the two radiator fans on the pump's controller. That is the native sensor and it guarantees they do their job, with or without iCUE running. That leaves the 3 exhaust 120s. You certainly can get by with motherboard control. I really find the Commander Pro useful so I can link fan speeds to other values, like temp probes and/or t he coolant temp on radiator. It is a vastly better set of options than any BIOS, but it is not required.

If you get a Commander Pro, that replaces the Lighting Node Pro while also serving as a fan controller. With either the C-Pro or LNP, you still need a RGB Lighting Hub to supply lighting power to the fans. That will be in the triple pack of LL120, but not the single 120 packs. It's about $10 on its own, but hard to find. Most people are better off with the triple and saving the LNP for future expansion. As for the 5 fan lighting wires, you could leave the two radiators fan on the Platinum's lighting controller, but I would put all five on the RGB Lighting Hub going to the C-Pro or LNP. That puts them in one sequence, under one device (the LNP or C-Pro) and not in two different places. Regardless, it will work either way and you will need the RGB Hub for the LL120s either way.

As for the 5 fan lighting wires, you could leave the two radiators fan on the Platinum's lighting controller, but I would put all five on the RGB Lighting Hub going to the C-Pro or LNP. That puts them in one sequence, under one device (the LNP or C-Pro) and not in two different places. Regardless, it will work either way and you will need the RGB Hub for the LL120s either way.

Can I put all 5 into the RGB hub giong to the C-Pro or LNP?? I thought I could not mix them.

In iCUE, you must designate a lighting channel as "device type" x "number of". So LL fans x 5, RGB Strips x 4, etc. This tells the software how many LEDs to generate. It's just basic math -- LL (16 leds x 5 fans). The problem is you can't tell it 3 LL + 2 ML for 1 channel.

In the above example, you would put the LL120s as 1-3, then the two ML-RGB from the Platinum as 4,5. Then tell iCUE LL x 4. This enables the LL special effects, but it still covers the extra 4 + 4 LEDs from the ML. It overruns by 8 LEDs. That only matters for really complex overlapping wave timing. However, I probably should not have suggested you start with that. It does make more sense for you to leave the 2 ML-RGB on the Platinum controller and the LL 1-3 on the LNP/C-Pro. That will create two different lighting zones, but it is probably more appropriate to start there and decide whether or not you like it before moving into the more complex act of balancing lighting design between fan types.