Corsair Community

Looking to buy a headset.. got some questions

Salawow

Good day everyone ! :)

First of all, english is not my native language, so i'm sorry for the misspell.

Ok so, next week, i want to buy a nice surround gaming headset. I spent the last few days reading dozens of test and review about that. My choice is not completely made yet, but so far, the corsair vengeance 2000 sounds like one of my favorite option. So i have some questions, in hope that it will help me make a decision.. it's alot of money after all :)

The reason i'm asking it here instead of another impartial forum is simple.. i want answers from peoples that actualy knows corsair products, and not informations from some guys that have a friend who know someone's cousins who tried those headsets.. if you know what i mean, hehe :)

I read on forum rules that i'm not allowed to talk about competitors.. that could have helped out to show what i like and dislike about headset.. but anyway, in the past i owned a wired surround headset from another company, i liked them, but they broke last year. (literaly broke, one part of it fell apart).

Ok so now my questions about corsair headsets :)

1- Corsair Vengeance 1500 vs 2000: Is there any difference in terms of quality/sound/confort ? Or it's just 100% about wired/wireless ?

2- Corsair drivers.. how are they ? any known issues ? My last headset from "insert competitor here" had drivers problem.. i had once to revert to old drivers in order to get a good sound back (which was a painful process involding deleting undeletable protected files in windows folder).

3- Let's say i have the wireless vengeance 2000.. the battery run off while playing a game.. is this all about taking 5 seconds to plug the cable and i'm good to play again ? (will it charge while playing, without losing any sound quality ?)

4- Can i simply chose to play wired or wireless ? Or i should only use the cable while charging and unplug it after ?

5- When the cable is on, charging, does it realy work wired, or does it still work wireless, like one headset from "insert competitor here". (in other word, while the cable it plugged in my headset, can i unplug the wireless reciever and it still work ?)

6- I read something about battery somewhere.. saying that after X amount of charges, the battery just dies.. Is that true ? If yes, how many charges before it dies ? Is it hard to replace ? If the battery is dead, can i still use it with the cable plugged in ?

7- Speaking of comfort.. i read about them being very comfortable.. anything else to say about that ?

8- Now one point that is very important to me.. isolation. When i put a headset on, i want immersion, i want to be able to forget that there's a real world around me.. plus, i want to be able to listen at high volume, with the person beside me not knowing if my headset is on or off.. My last headset from "insert competitor here" was very excelent on that point. What about corsair vengeance 2000 ?

9- Speaking of sound, more precisely bass (or sub bass, whatever). I read that the vengeance 2000 are very weak with low frequency.. but i also read that a simple tweak in the equalizer fixes the problem. What about it ? Is it realy just about a software problem, or it's the headset that is physicaly unable to throw decent bass compared to some others ? My last headset from (...) was delivering very loud low frequency, which was amazing, but sometimes too much, with a distortion at high volume. I want to be able to feel those low frequency, feel those vibrations on the outside of my ear and the side of my head, but not nesseraly at the cost of sound distortion. So, how are the vengeance 2000 regarding this point ?

10- Corsair vengeance 2000 got 50mm drivers, vs 40mm from my last headset. Bigger numbers are always nice, but what does it means exactly ? Bigger sound ? clearer sound ? more bass ?

11- Solidity. Well, are the corsair vengeance solid ? I'm someone known to be pretty rough with my headset, espicialy when putting them in and out of my head (also when moving out one side of the headset in order to hear the person beside me). My last headset broke pretty early (one "ear" fell apart, and i noticed that although they looked robust, it was held by only 2 plactic pins, who breaked). How are the vengeance 2000 regarding this point ?

12- Any other pertinent point i should know about the vengeance 2000 ? :)

Thanks in advance for your time peoples :)

1- Can't really comment, as I've never owned the 1500.

2- Their drivers sound amazing in stereo mode(Bypass), but are severely lacking in surround at the moment. They took comments on this & I hope are looking into fixing it, but for now, if you use surround, most people recommend using the default windows plug & play drivers(which doesn't really lose much quality in stereo, and provides amazing surround).

3- The very first time charging the headset for some reason you have to let it charge without turning it on, after that you can charge while playing without any problems.

4- The headset is always wireless, so the USB device has to be plugged in for you to receive sound. If you don't want to worry about battery at all you can play with your headset plugged in & constantly charging, but with the 10 hour battery life(which I can certainly vouch for) there's really no need.

5- See above.

6- Not too sure on this, kind of wondering about this myself, but it hasn't caused me any trouble so far.

7- Ya, they're REALLY, REALLY comfortable, lol. I'm coming from a headset that was so lose on my head I could shake it off by simply turning too fast, so they seemed to grip a bit tight at first, but I forgot they were on my head within a couple hours the very first day.

8- They block out sound pretty well in my experience, but I'm not sure if the music can be heard outside them, sorry.

9- The Vengeance 2000(V2k as i call it) has amazing bass. It hits lows as low as 20Hz in my experience with no problems(and I like my bass, ask anyone where I live, most would say I like my bass TOO much).

10- The 50mm drivers actually do allow them to play low lows, and high highs at the same time, without any distortion. Which is their mainly pushed feature of them. I've also noticed that with my previous headset, if I turned up my music too loud, I could hear it getting distorted by the speakers(probably overpowering them), with my V2k I have NEVER had this problem. I end up turning down the volume out of shear ear pain from it being too loud before I hear them distort.

11- The V2k from what I've experienced, and what other's have posted, is a VERY sturdy headset. I've only seen one post of them ever breaking, and even the person posting said he thinks his were defective & got some bad plastic or something, because they were cracking in many places. More of the exception than the rule.

12- My first V2k the wireless was sketchy. Was fine as long as I was in the room with my headset, but a cardboard box between me & my usb dongle would cause the headset to cut out. My headset however I believe was defective. The wireless dongle died on me recently & I just got my replacement headset today & it's charging at the moment. I've don't recall seeing any other posts with people having issues with this, so I'm very optimistic about this replacement.

I think that about covers it... Probably forgetting something though, lol. All-in-all I would buy the Vengeance 2000 again if I had to, and that should mean something i suppose.

• Corsair Employee

Hope this helps with your questions if not please let me know.

1- Corsair Vengeance 1500 vs 2000: Is there any difference in terms of quality/sound/confort ? Or it's just 100% about wired/wireless ?

A: There are a few subtle difference in how they work, IE Vengeance 2000 are wireless and as such will have MIC Loop back always enabled this is a limitation of Wireless controllers, the way around this is to move the MIC boom in the up position to turn it off.

But other than this and one being Wireless they are the same basic fit and feel.

6- I read something about battery somewhere.. saying that after X amount of charges, the battery just dies.. Is that true ? If yes, how many charges before it dies ? Is it hard to replace ? If the battery is dead, can i still use it with the cable plugged in ?

A: The unit has a Two Year warranty and should you have an issue we will be happy to replace them, However Lithium Ion Battery's do work differently that older Nicad battery's which would develop a false state of charge and would need to be totally drained to reset the charging controller on the battery and then be fully charged. Once the first charge has been done then you can recharge the battery at any point or state of charge safely with out the worry of improperly charging the battery. But you will get a blinking light or low tone in the head set and it would be advised to charge them as soon as you get that warring, You should not let the battery go completely dead.And I am sorry but at this time the only way to replace the battery is through and RMA.

Archived