Corsair Community

D5 Pump/Res Dead

I have been running the pump for about 5 months now and I decided to change my GPU to a vertical mount so I could see the flow indicator.

The system was completely off and I drained the system. I attached the jumper gizmo filled the res up and switched on expecting it to drain the coolant and I was ready to turn off and re-fill repeat but nothing happened some bubbles were coming from the res but no movement of fluid and the flow indicator on the GPU was not moving.

Does anyone have any idea why a pump might die randomly like this?

If you disconnect the PWM control lead for the pump, does it move fluid? I am not sure if you are describing a dead pump (no vibration or sound) or you’re stuck mid-fill and can’t get fluid moving.

***Note - do not reconnect the PWM lead to the Commander while powered on. The mortality rate for that maneuver is high.

It was very strange, I tested it at first all connected because nothing had changed at that point. There was some vibration in the unit and so I thought it was working but for some reason the fluid was not dropping and allowing me to top up more fluid. Some of the pipes also remained empty of fluid so I knew it wasn't pushing the fluid around.

I tried it with just the Molex connected and everything else pulled out of the PSU but still did not work. I ended up stripping the pump out of the loop and thought I would have one last try in my hand with some fluid in to see if I could feel it working in my hand. This got it working again but no idea why might have killed a Molex head on the PSU cable and plugged into another one on accident once I had pulled it out.

TLDR: It started working again no idea why just glad it did :)

eeeh usually it's the PWM connected to the commander pro that causes "issues" because the pump slows down like a second after power on. Disconnecting it as c-attack indicated keeps the pump working at full speed for filling.

Besides, that, mystery!