Corsair Community

H115i Cooler on Asus MB | Pump not running / blinking red

YaHaBoHo

Hello all,

I have a ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming motherboard and I bought a H115i Cooler to replace the stock Wraith Prism fan on my Ryzen 7 2700X CPU. I connected everything as per the install istructions, but after I power-on, the cooler unit blinks red and I get a CPU fan warning. If I leave the PC powered on for more than one minute, CPU temp rises above 85C and I have to power-off to let it cool down. It looks to me like the pump is not running; the fans themselves (connected to the cooler splitter) seem to run normally.

I tried multiple things (see below) but regardless of what I do, I end up with a red-blinking cooler, a CPU fan warning, and an overheating CPU. On a side note, it was a pretty stressful troubleshooting process and I felt on the verge of frying my CPU each time I powered on that thing :D:

• Verified all connections
  • Changed Q-fan mode of CPU_FAN to : Disabled, PWM, DC
  • Moved the fan connector from CPU_FAN to AIO_PUMP

I have now put back the stock fan (and ran out of thermal paste in the process haha) and it works like a charm.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Y.

The power for the H115i comes through the SATA connector. You can try switching to a different line, but I doubt it will make a difference. The lights are on and so there must be power. This model does not have a separate power path for pump and lighting and it looks to be defective.

Return it the vendor or contact Corsair tech support if you have gone past the return window.

Thanks for your reply! I'll try that; I'm still within return window but I'd rather avoid the hassle.

Just thinking out loud here, but do you think it is OK to do the test *without* actually hooking the cooler to the CPU?

What I have in mind is to do everything else - connect the power to a different SATA line, the fans to the splitter, the USB head if needed, and the pump to AIO_PUMP - but keep the current (functioning) fan on the CPU, and just leave the cooler on the side. If needed I can even heat it with a hair dryer or something to see how it reacts.

Then, if it is working (not blinking red, and - I guess - making some noise or vibration to confirm that the pump is running) I can order thermal paste and do the swap. Otherwise I will just send back the unit.

You can certainly run it off the CPU. The only thing you need is the SATA for power. The motherboard 3 pin header will report half the pump speed. Other than that, its only use is to defeat the CPU boot error mechanism. That also would be another way to check pump speed -- the any BIOS reading of the H115i should show either (~1000 rpm for the low or ~1500 for the high speed). However, given you mentioned the initial CPU fan warning, that likely means the board can't see the device and there is a definite electrical failing inside the unit.

*You should be able to feel vibration from the pump head if it is actually spinning.

Well I tried and you were right, switching to another SATA power doesn't change a thing. It allowed me to go further though, and to look around without fearing for my CPU.

The pump is not detected at all in BIOS (N/A) but my stock and chassis fans are. After getting to Windows, the H115i is detected in Corsair Link; it can the the fans RPM and water temperature, but the pump shows 0 RPM (see attached).

Like you said it looks a lot like a HW fault... It kinda worries me about the reliability of that model though, and I have half a mind to just ask for a refund or switch to another model. I saw a lot of posts from you around here, do you know if it happens a lot with H115i coolers?

corsair-pump-h115i.png.74661f8a6f5ffae0a075a5d53efe3e76.png

If you have the option, I would leave the prior model H115i behind and look and the replacement H115i PRO. I have been using it for 9 months with no issues. More importantly there is a lot less negative forum traffic than the predecessor at the same time frame following release.

The blinking Red light happened to me when I used the wrong SATA cable (wrong pinout) from a Thermaltake PSU into my new Corsair PSU. The system ran hot and I could see over 80c in the BIOS until the PC shut off automatically.

Using the right cable made it work again. Luckily the unit wasn't killed in the process.

Archived