The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 527065
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

Quote:
What else is to be done?
Yes, with XMP enabled , check the voltage to the memory controller. It should be labled QPI/VTT voltage or something real similar. XMP should set this to a value of at least 1.35v. If it is lower than that go ahead and make that change and retest. It may even need up to 1.45v depending on your CPU.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:28 PM
MaxiMax's PC Specs

POST ID # = 527067
MaxiMax Reputation: 10

Yes, it simply went down as if power cable was unplugged. No errors in logs. Then the system started booting up. No warning message from bios. Some people who experience the same problem with different ASUS MB reported that they say the bios message "overclock failed". I never saw this message. When it boots up everything seems normal, except for the very fact that it shuts down

With XMP enabled I see a grayed-out line with my memory timing (which is correct) and voltage. The variance is 1.65V-1.20V. I guess it is grayed out - because after enabling XMP I did not set the values manually; some voltages might be configured automatically. Do you recommend that I try to set a higher threshold, something like 1.65V-1.35V. I do not know whether BIOS will allow me to, but I could give it a try.

QPI/DRAM Core Voltage is 1.40000. Should I raise it to 1.45?

DRAM Bus Voltage is set to 1.65

One more observation: the system does not want to shut down randomly if I leave it in BIOS. Maybe I have to wait for some more time. I will give it several hours to see whether it shuts down from there.

Last edited by MaxiMax; 09-12-2011 at 10:39 PM.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 527084

Nope your good max.DRAMM voltage at 1.65 is where it should be and QPI is at 1.4v Thats perfect. Sometimes XMP wont set the QPI(memory controller voltage) correctly. Seems like it did with your board.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:57 PM
MaxiMax's PC Specs

POST ID # = 527086

Confirmed: no random shut-downs in Bios. I remember RAM GUY recommending this BIOS test to another person who had similar problems with random reboots.

I need the expert's help here!
Does it mean that the PSU is alive and in good health and is likely to work flawlessly with another system?

I should probably thank my system for letting me play some games in DOS. There are some great ones!
Now I am welcoming my own nostalgia and sitting in DOS Navigator. Folks from my country called it WinDos :) I can pretty much see the file system, zip/unzip files and play tetris. No shutdowns.

As for the marriage of MB and PSU... Be careful, guys. WINDOWS IS MAKING WIDOWS!!!

Update: my memory successfully passed the 40 minute stress test in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.
There were no shutdowns during the test but the system went down after it.
Here are the settings that Intel Utility offers:
Turbo Boost Current Power Max: 130W
Turbo Boost Current Max: 110A
memory voltage: 1.65V
Core voltage: 1.27850V
UnCore voltage: 1.4000
Memory speed: 1596
UnCore speed: 3192
These seem to be exactly the same settings that appeared in my Bios when I enabled XMP (thanks to peanutz94 and others!!!).
Is it possible that Intel Core Utility influences or causes my random reboots? The program was installed on my sys, although I have never used it before.

Another overclocker that I have as a part of Asus MB drivers package is PC Probe II.
This guy reports temps voltages and rpm for fans.
NB temperature is probably the highest - 48-52C in idle mode. Is it ok? I did not have any fan for NB.
CPU and MB are 34/32.
PSU fan is spinning well - 756/800 rpm

Vcore shows 0.98V
Output Voltage is relatively stable:
3.3V - 3.23
5V - 5.05
12V - 12.19

Allowable variance for the rails is set to 10% (5% is the allowable standard, if I am right).
Shutdowns are still there but they did not occur during any of my tests.

I was thinking maybe I will have a shutdown during a test of my graphics card (Asus GTX460 1gbDDR5 directCPU)
I overclocked the card to 730MHz (650 is default)
Vcore is set to 1.075
Furmark 1024*768 gives max 195rps min-81 and avg-129.
max temp after overclocking is 55C.
No random reboot during my furmark test.

Update:
I just got one random restart during windows installation process.
Win event log does not show any errors.
Now I hear some squealing PSU noise every time I move a figure in Chess Titans, which is not a super powerful game :) Looks like my PSU is playing chess on its own :) and with a very indecent sound :)
When I listen to my PSU closely I hear a bit of buzzing noise every time I move my mouse pointer :) Hic - almost the same problem as here + random shutdowns.

Tech suggestions are always welcome and appreciated!!!

Last edited by MaxiMax; 09-13-2011 at 06:08 AM.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:38 AM
parsec's PC Specs

POST ID # = 527180
parsec Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxiMax View Post
In my case, the problem is between Asus Sabertooth x58 and Corsair TX950
Choose any PSU from Corsair and any Mobo from Asus and they are likely not to work.

Any advice on how to fix random restarts is appreciated!
Well, I can tell you that I have an ASUS SaberTooth X58 and use a Corsair HX850 with it, from day one of the build. Still in there, no problems at all. Sleeps like a baby, sometimes for days... turn on the mouse, click and away I go.

I thought my hardware monitoring software was failing, since the 12V rail would sit at 12.096V and never change! Other PS's I've had would bounce around with their 12V reading, but not this one. No inductor noise from this PS. Can't remember if it ever had a BSOD, seriously. Never had a random restart. One installation of Windows 7 (pre-SP1) on an Intel G2 SSD, can't get those anymore, just keeps on running.

My ASUS SaberTooth P67 board started out with a Corsair HX750, which also worked fine for me, no problems. Swapped it out for another PS, then changed my plans for it, but it's ready for another PC whenever.

If there's one thing I've learned working with PCs, it's this: Never generalize about anything.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:04 AM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 527183

Quote:
Update:
I just got one random restart during windows installation process and another one when windows was not installed.
Win event log does not show any errors.
Now I hear some squealing PSU noise every time I move a figure in Chess Titans, which is not a super powerful game :) Looks like my PSU playing chess on its own :) and with a very indecent sound :)
When I listen to my PSU closely I hear a bit of buzzing noise every time I move my mouse pointer :) Hic - almost the same problem as here + random shutdowns.

Tech suggestions are always welcome and appreciated!!!
You can RMA the PSU and try another. But if you get the same issue i would think about RMA'ing the MB. I'm not convinced really that it is either component, but you have to start somewhere.
Just use the link on the left hand side of the forums to request an RMA. I hope you get things figured out.:)

Old 09-13-2011, 05:41 AM
MaxiMax's PC Specs

POST ID # = 527186

I have requested my RMA two days ago. I thought that if I succeed in fixing this issue myself I will go ahead and cancel my RMA. So far I am convinced that it is PSU's fault because my old PSU works fine with MB. But PSU is only one side of the coin :)
Tomorrow I am going to do the last troubleshooting step - I will test Corsair PSU with my old system and see whether it restarts randomly.

Concerning MB, I called Asus a couple of times asking about causes and troubleshooting steps. Their rep offered to RMA the unit before he suggested anything useful and MB/bios related :) But generally, there is no problem with RMAs on both ends.

+
I'd like to thank people who helped me with my problem or contributed to this discussion in one way or another. I have learned quite a bit from you, guys.

Last edited by MaxiMax; 09-13-2011 at 06:03 AM.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 527365
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

What was the case number I will approve it for you?

Old 09-13-2011, 07:43 PM
MaxiMax's PC Specs

POST ID # = 527422

My case number (#2258800) has already been approved and I have my RMA number assigned.

The last thing that I have noticed is the critical message in windows event viewer:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Source: Kernel-Power // Event ID: 41 // User: System // Event : Critical.

Thank you for your help!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 527433

Quote:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Source: Kernel-Power // Event ID: 41 // User: System // Event : Critical.
Thats a windows error. Google it . It's actually a common problem and causes random shutdowns. I thought it was fixed in an update awhile ago tho. I actually went through the same thing about 4 months ago.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:59 AM
MaxiMax's PC Specs

POST ID # = 527488

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutz94 View Post
I actually went through the same thing about 4 months ago.
How did you troubleshoot this problem when you had it?
People from Microsoft say that this event 41 can be caused by anything: from faulty PSU unit to some software running amok. Some people report BSOD that comes together with event 41 error. I did not see a BSOD.

In my case, I do not think it's a software problem - my system caught a random reboot when I was installing windows, which makes me think that the problem is not caused by (1) MB drivers and (2) windows + other software/updates. + Before installing windows I formatted my HDD.

I still hope that it is a software problem and that there is a way to fix it. Applying a couple of fixes mentioned on Microsoft troubleshooting page did not help to pacify these random reboots. Yet, if you know something that can be of good use, please tell us where to fetch it.

to khansubosh: I bet you could come up with something more funny and original than anti-fungal moisturizers

Last edited by MaxiMax; 09-14-2011 at 05:02 AM.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 527990

The problem you are describing sounds more like the system is just restarting not shutting down if I understand you correctly. And if so I would install the PC-Probe software that came on the MB CD and set it to record and see what the Voltages were at when it restarts. But normally if its a PSU issue there will be some end tails of an power issue. Personally I would be more inclined to RMA the MB based on what you posted but we can try and replace the PSU.

I would go to
Then Select Startup and Recovery and set it to Not auto restart.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Sys Properties.gif (37.2 KB, 1370 views)
File Type: png Startup.png (49.8 KB, 1350 views)

Old 09-17-2011, 02:54 AM
MaxiMax's PC Specs

POST ID # = 528116

I did the same thing a while ago. No auto-restart. I have disabled this function in BIOS too. My system is shutting down. Sometimes I used the phrase "random reboots" but it is a complete shut-down just like something is pressing "power" or "restart" button randomly.

I know that my voltage is relatively stable before the system shuts down. But what I do not know is how to record the voltage at the very moment it shuts down. Where can I find and enable this option in PC probe or any other software?

Last edited by MaxiMax; 09-17-2011 at 02:59 AM.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 529227

Please contact ASUS the version they are using now may not have that option but the version I am using with MB's do PC-Probe II Version 1.04.7 Hit the Icon nest to the config Icon:

Attached Images
File Type: gif PC-Probe II.GIF (25.8 KB, 1405 views)

Old 10-04-2011, 03:39 AM
MaxiMax's PC Specs

POST ID # = 532211

Today I received a brand new TX950w PSU. My system works flawlessly without any random shut-downs. So it seems that I had a defective PSU. I will test my system tomorrow and I hope it will work well. Thank you for your support!