The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 344429
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtopiA View Post
Even the rebranded Seasonic units use the same fan as the VX550... Right?

So if the fan is buzzing, I would assume the problem would be consistent across all of the units.
Our PSUs are designed and built to our specifications by a 3rd party. None of our PSUs are simply re-branded versions of any other PSU on the market.

The HX, VX and TX PSUs which use the 120mm fans, all use the same fan as far as I know.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:07 PM

POST ID # = 344481
neubie Reputation: 10

Hi

I just built my new system with VX550. I can hear a relatively quiet noise coming from the power supply. I'm quite sure it's the same noise that people observed in this thread. I don't use a case for this PC.

Noise-wise, I think it is acceptable. At first I was worried that the PSU might be somehow broken, but all the voltages seem stable and good, and there are no problems besides the noise.

I would define it as quiet, constant and rapid ticking. The words "PWM ticking" come in my mind from some SPCR review. Is the fan controlled with PWM or voltage?

My system draws very little power at the moment, and if it is "PWM ticking", I recall that it would get lesser when the RPM goes up. I'd just like to know if there is supposed to be "buzzing" or "ticking" noise with this PSU, because I wouldn't bother even thinking of replacing if this is a standard no-problems unit. It is the loudest noise in my system when I have two S-Flex E fans running 811RPM, mostly because it's different (ticking/buzzing instead of humming).

By the way, could someone at corsair try to record the noise that a standard VX550 makes in low load, close distance recording situation? That'd give me an idea about the noise character.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:37 PM
UtopiA's PC Specs

POST ID # = 344524
UtopiA Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
Our PSUs are designed and built to our specifications by a 3rd party. None of our PSUs are simply re-branded versions of any other PSU on the market.
Do your "specifications" include buzzing fans in $100 power supplies? I think Corsair should put a sticker/label on all the PSU's not being made by Seasonic that says "This PSU might be crappy" (I'm looking at you, CWT) that way the consumers know which ones to avoid. I think most people see the Corsair brand, and assume they're all made to the same quality. I know I did. I've since used Google (and these forums) to find out which ones to avoid. Not only that, but people elsewhere (when discussing Corsair PSU's) will specifically tell users which Corsair PSU's to not purchase, because they're not being made by Seasonic.

Considering the price premium on Corsair PSU's, I'm hugely disappointed that a problem this consistent still hasn't been addressed.

I'm going to send an RMA request to NewEgg and see if they'll let me send back the VX550 and pay the price difference for an HX620/650TX.

Last edited by UtopiA; 04-23-2008 at 11:43 PM.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 344589

Utopia, If possible can you send an email to ramguy@corsairmemory.com with your name and phone number and I'll give you a call sometime today. I would like to set up and RMA with you and take a look at the PSU myself. Please put ATT: Ramguy in the subject line, and include a link to this thread.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:00 AM

POST ID # = 344869
mahalas Reputation: 10

Hi, I want to say hello to everybody, because this is my first post on this forum.
I'm in process of getting a new power supply, and my current choices are 550vx or 450vx. But, I'm little bit concern about this "buzzing" noise, why this is happening? I can see that a few people complaint about this problem, and they replaced their units. Is there any explanation or have you(Corsair) tested these replaced units?

Last edited by mahalas; 04-26-2008 at 10:22 AM.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 345249

The clicking/buzzing noise is not normal to the unit, and if yours was making these sounds we would want to get it replaced. It’s very difficult to test units for audible noise in reality, because Corsair’s test environment has a very clean power source. Many times, the clicking/buzzing noises come from the PFC filter circuitry or components used in the AC-DC conversion process, and these components all can react differently based on how clean the power source is. A unit that performs silently here in the lab may buzz or click in a house with older wiring, or a room with a failing battery-powered UPS, or any number of other things.