The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 12:20 AM
EliteKiller's PC Specs

POST ID # = 335810
EliteKiller Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copyright View Post
Replaced the fan in my PSU.... yeah it voided the warranty but it took no time to do it and only cost me 15$ for a better fan then the orginal. The stock ADDA fans are garbage.
That same "garbage fan" is also used in the HX series which has received numerous praises from reputable reviewers, in addition to thousands of end users, for being one of the quietest psu's on the market. While some people have noise issues they are in the minority.

Quoting SPCR
Quote:
This is extremely quiet performance, the best we've encountered from any PSU.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:57 AM
Serj's PC Specs

POST ID # = 336509
Serj Reputation: 10

ok this is just sad. I just received the replacement from the etailer, and this one has the buzzing noise as well. This is for sure a different unit, it came sealed and all. Corsair what's wrong with the quality control on these guys, how about recalling these and replacing the fans, since over 50% of the posts in the power supply forums are about the vx550 and most are about fan problems. Very disappointed with this unit compared to my hx620 which is silent. I know these are budget power supplies compared to the hx620, but i wouldn't pay less for more noise... wasted almost a month for nothing

Last edited by Serj; 03-14-2008 at 02:01 AM.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:44 AM
NTNgod's PC Specs

POST ID # = 337000
NTNgod Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serj View Post
ok this is just sad. I just received the replacement from the etailer, and this one has the buzzing noise as well. This is for sure a different unit, it came sealed and all.
Perhaps it's a Buy.com thing? The one I got from them didn't come in all that big of a box, and was surrounded by crumpled paper, as I recall.

I came here because I have the same problem (it's about six weeks old, and it has had the film projector noise the whole time, but I've quieted the rest of the system down where it's far and away the loudest thing in the system, so I have to do something), and am finally leaning towards RMAing, because if a fan swap didn't solve the problem for whatever reason, I'd be OOL.

(In my case, loosening the fan grill screws did nothing, stopping the fan gets rid of the noise, and there doesn't seem to anything rubbing against or coming off the fan)

Last edited by NTNgod; 03-17-2008 at 02:59 AM.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:59 AM
Serj's PC Specs

POST ID # = 337010

nope it isn't a buy.com thing only, i have purchased a unit from a nearby retail store on friday, and it had the same problem. Exchanged it at the retail store and the other one has the same problem yet again. So that is 4 out of 4 with the same problem...

Old 03-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 337074
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

NTNgod, Let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

serj, How loud is the noise you are hearing, from how far away from the PSU can you hear the noise? If you would like to try to get one directly from us, please fill out the form above, and give our customer service a call at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com. Let them know that you have replaced the unit before and they should be able to work with you to get it replaced.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:02 PM
NTNgod's PC Specs

POST ID # = 337099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serj View Post
nope it isn't a buy.com thing only, i have purchased a unit from a nearby retail store on friday, and it had the same problem.
Yikes!

Buy.com's packaging did seem a little underwhelming for something fairly heavy and fairly small (using crumpled paper, when the Corsair box - which doesn't have much padding itself - seemed likely to shift during transit due to weight, seemed like a bad idea to me), so it had crossed my mind shipping possibly might have taken a toll on the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
NTNgod, Let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”
I already put in an RMA request through the Tech Support Xpress setup late last night, shortly after I posted in this thread, so I've gotten the ball rolling...

Last edited by NTNgod; 03-17-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 337109

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTNgod View Post
I already put in an RMA request through the Tech Support Xpress setup late last night, shortly after I posted in this thread, so I've gotten the ball rolling...
If you would like to post your case number here, I will get your case approved ASAP!

Old 03-17-2008, 03:40 PM
NTNgod's PC Specs

POST ID # = 337115

Quote:
If you would like to post your case number here, I will get your case approved ASAP!

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 337119

Quote:

Thanks!
RMA Approved, you should receive confirmation shortly!

Old 03-17-2008, 03:53 PM
NTNgod's PC Specs

POST ID # = 337121

Quote:
RMA Approved, you should receive confirmation shortly!
Thanks for the quick response!

(Does EVERYTHING go back - including power cord, etc.? Stickies in other subforums didn't seem to mention that, unless I missed it)

Old 03-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 337177

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response!

(Does EVERYTHING go back - including power cord, etc.? Stickies in other subforums didn't seem to mention that, unless I missed it)
You only need to send the actual PSU, you can hang on to all of the modular cables, as well as the main power cord.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:40 PM
NTNgod's PC Specs

POST ID # = 337187

Quote:
You only need to send the actual PSU, you can hang on to all of the modular cables, as well as the main power cord.
Ahh... well, since I was racing to get it packed up and out to the nearest FedEx/Kinkos before the last pickup of the day, I went ahead and packed everything that originally came in the PSU box - with the exception of the power cord.

I did put a note inside the package (but outside the Corsair VX550 box) that I had included everything but the power cord - pouch, screws, zip ties, case badge, manual, etc...

(My wiring is such that getting the power cord loose would have taken longer than yanking the PS out of my computer did :P )

Last edited by NTNgod; 03-17-2008 at 07:46 PM.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 337202

Thats not a problem at all!

Old 03-18-2008, 04:16 AM
Serj's PC Specs

POST ID # = 337264

Quote:

serj, How loud is the noise you are hearing, from how far away from the PSU can you hear the noise? If you would like to try to get one directly from us, please fill out the form above, and give our customer service a call at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com. Let them know that you have replaced the unit before and they should be able to work with you to get it replaced.

It isn't that loud, but it is annoying once you hear it, sounds like a fly buzzing in there (1 thing is for sure, it isn't silent like my hx620).
unfortunately I can't wait any longer, I mean out of 4 tries from 2 different etailer/retailer it didn't make a difference, they all have the fan noise problem and I'm sure your replacement will have it too. I had all my components since february 12th and have been playing rma with the PSU. For now I had no choice but to use it in my system, I just hope the noise doesn't get worst or indirectly cause power problems. One thing is for sure, I won't buy anything besides the hx620 from corsair, and I will not be recommending the VX550 to anyone looking for a silent unit (sorry but you dropped the ball on these)

Old 03-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 337495

How far from the unit do you need to be in order to hear the buzzing? Do you have the PSU plugged into a backup UPS or surge protector? If so, try plugging it directly into the wall.