The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Shmanky's PC Specs

POST ID # = 312042
Shmanky Reputation: 10

Ram Guy,

Where can I find the details to specify the following fields in the RMA form?
  • Corsair Part Number *
Is it VX450W or CMPSU-450VX? Because I don't find either in the list. Is it printed on the unit?
  • TSX Ticket #/ Form Post ID #
Hmmmm what's this one?
Thanks for all the support (:

Old 10-13-2007, 02:04 PM

POST ID # = 312089
oralpain Reputation: 10

It wasn't the coils either.

After pluging everything back in and testing out the PSU after I had glued all the coils and plastic separators and turning the system on, the buzz was back. It was the same sound as before, only with a slightly different tone.

I put some gloves on and opened up the PSU while the system was running so I could try to get a better idea of exactly where the noise was coming from. Sound seemed to be strongest near the rear vent on the side of the main capacitor, so I used my screw driver to prod around to see if the sound changed or vanished.

The only thing I touched that changed the buzz was one of the MOSFETs that was connected to the heatsink farthest from the AC input. Pushing on this casued the buzzing to quiet considerably. I'm thinking the screw holding it to the heatsink could have been tightened more.

I did not have the opportunitity yo test this as there was no way for me to get a screwdriver all the way in there, not that it would have mattered as I shorted out the MOSFET and killed my PSU while pushing on it .

Old 10-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 312375
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmanky View Post
Ram Guy,

Where can I find the details to specify the following fields in the RMA form?
  • Corsair Part Number *
Is it VX450W or CMPSU-450VX? Because I don't find either in the list. Is it printed on the unit?
  • TSX Ticket #/ Form Post ID #
Hmmmm what's this one?
Thanks for all the support (:
Part # is CMPSU-VX450W
Post ID is your forum post # on the top right of your message.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 312376

Quote:
Originally Posted by oralpain View Post

I did not have the opportunitity yo test this as there was no way for me to get a screwdriver all the way in there, not that it would have mattered as I shorted out the MOSFET and killed my PSU while pushing on it .
Oh no!

Old 10-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Shmanky's PC Specs

POST ID # = 312381

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
Part # is CMPSU-VX450W
Post ID is your forum post # on the top right of your message.
Thank you Ram Guy, but my concern was that CMPSU-VX450W is not in the list. Should I just select Not Listed?

Old 10-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 312383

If VX450W is on the list, you may use that, otherwise just put "Not Listed".

Old 10-15-2007, 07:53 PM
xseanx's PC Specs

POST ID # = 312412
xseanx Reputation: 10
Sad

Quote:
Ram Guy, I'm about 95% sure it's not the PSU's fan or another case fan that I'm hearing. I had a power supply prior to this one that would buzz, so I know what to listen for.
But you know, it also buzzes when I scroll the mouse or a Web page, and it buzzes in time with hard disk seeks, which convinces me it's not some fan bearings.
ThankS!
thankgod there is other ppl who expierence this problem like i do, i thought i was the only one. after i heard so many good reviews about the corsair 620hx i went ahead and bought one and now i have to deal with those buzzing noises, very dissappointing for a $150 psu from corsair.

Shmanky- iam assuming you're using windows xp, with xp the buzzing will be continously beeps when the vcore drop. Try vista, the noise will be lesser, bc with vista it will be opposite, it only beeps when the vcore are raise. and no buzzing when u scroll the mouse.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 312419

Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanx View Post
thankgod there is other ppl who expierence this problem like i do, i thought i was the only one. after i heard so many good reviews about the corsair 620hx i went ahead and bought one and now i have to deal with those buzzing noises, very dissappointing for a $150 psu from corsair.

Shmanky- iam assuming you're using windows xp, with xp the buzzing will be continously beeps when the vcore drop. Try vista, the noise will be lesser, bc with vista it will be opposite, it only beeps when the vcore are raise. and no buzzing when u scroll the mouse.
xseanx, we have no problem replacing your PSU as well. The PSU should not be buzzing so loudly that it can be heard over the other components in the system. If you would like us to replace it, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or “Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

Old 10-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Shmanky's PC Specs

POST ID # = 312428

Quote:

Thank you for your comments, xseanx. However, I built this machine specifically for Windows Vista 32-bit. So the buzzing I hear is under Vista, and I do hear buzzing when I scroll a Web page or move a window on the screen.

I bought this PSU because of positive recommendations from silentpcreview.com.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Shmanky's PC Specs

POST ID # = 312431

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
If VX450W is on the list, you may use that, otherwise just put "Not Listed".
Ram Guy, should I use my shipping address, or my personal home address?

I took a guess and I used my shipping address, which is my workplace which is where I would want to have the replacement shipped to.

This is my first time doing an RMA. I appreciate all your help (:

Old 10-16-2007, 02:39 AM
xseanx's PC Specs

POST ID # = 312449
xseanx Reputation: 10
Sigh..

thankyou for replying Ram guy.however, there's no guarantee that replacing the psu wont have the buzzing noise again, since my 620HX is brand new, is been used only a week. i'll go crazy if i dont have a computer to use for 2-3 week if i RMA it :( i guess i have to deal with the beeping noise. my only concern is that this psu would last long.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:07 AM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 312453
DerekT Reputation: 10

Quote:
thankyou for replying Ram guy.however, there's no guarantee that replacing the psu wont have the buzzing noise again, since my 620HX is brand new, is been used only a week. i'll go crazy if i dont have a computer to use for 2-3 week if i RMA it :( i guess i have to deal with the beeping noise. my only concern is that this psu would last long.
You can request a turn around from RMA. You then give your credit card number to the handler and they send you the power supply first. Then you send yours back and they deduct the CC amount.

I have used this method and it works well. Corsair does not want you unhappy with your purchase. I have the same PSU and it is a dream so don't think that this happens all that often. Return rate is actually quite low on all Corsair products. The problem is that very few are going to come here to post if the parts are working correctly so we see all the problems. :)

Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 AM

POST ID # = 330269
piz Reputation: 10
Important The Corsair vx450w makes a rustling, buzzing noise distinguishable from its fan noise

Quote:
Thank you for your comments, xseanx. However, I built this machine specifically for Windows Vista 32-bit. So the buzzing I hear is under Vista, and I do hear buzzing when I scroll a Web page or move a window on the screen.
I bought this PSU because of positive recommendations from silentpcreview.com.
Hello!
I bought the Corsair vx450w yesterday. The Corsair vx450w makes a rustling, buzzing noise distinguishable from its fan noise from 8 in = 20
cm distance. It looks like a vibration of wires causes strokes between wires and makes the rustle noise. The rustle noise increases
when disk drives begin to seek. I bought the Corsair vx450w because http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page1.html gave it the
highest rating on noise. The seller (ООО "ВЭБ-Трейдинг"-Мега24 Интернет Супермаркет www.mega24.ru) does not want to replace the Corsair vx450w because thinks that the rustle noise is too low.
I filled out the On Line RMA Request Form yesterday, but have not got a reply.
Best regards,
Dima

Old 02-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 330318

Piz, what is your case number?

Old 02-10-2008, 05:05 AM

POST ID # = 330598
piz Reputation: 10
Default Case 437986

Quote: