The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 564184
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

It will vary from model to model but the warranty is 3-7 years depending on the specific model.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:12 PM
MaxiMax's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564188
MaxiMax Reputation: 10
Default Warranty Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
It will vary from model to model but the warranty is 3-7 years depending on the specific model.
My question about warranty is more specific.
Here is the case: I have purchased TX950W from Newegg on 11/30/2010. The unit came with 5 year warranty and it turned out to be defective: it worked for 10 months then it started to shut down randomly. I've RMAed my defective PSU and received a new unit (replacement) from Corsair on 9/12/11. The unit was entirely new and it worked well without giving me random reboots for !3 months!. Then my machine started shutting down randomly again on 12-30-2011. The contacts on 12V rail melted (likely because of abnormally high voltage). Now I've filled out an RMA for the second time. This time it's an RMA pertains to a replacement of a replacement.

Now what is the warranty for the PSU that I received from Corsair? Is it 5 years from the moment of replacement?

Last edited by MaxiMax; 02-26-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 564190

No the warranty will be from date an your initial purchase and we would go by that for the warranty.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 03-01-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:25 PM
MaxiMax's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564191

Quote:
No it the warranty will be from date an your initial purchase and we would go by that for the warranty.
The replacement PSU shiped by Corsair seems entirely new. Why would a new replacement unit from Corsair have less warranty than a new unit from NewEgg? Aren't they equally new? The logic is a bit unclear to me and I ask for RamGuy's explanation.

If the date of purchase of my very first PSU should still be used as a starting point then we have a bunch of logical contradictions :)
When I fill out the RMA form I have to indicate the date of purchase. But I did not purchase the unit that I ask to replace. I got it from corsair.
Logically speaking, if I provided the date of purchase of my first PSU unit, my answer would be merely false (again, because I did not purchase the unit that I want to replace).
So the warranty begins with the date of purchase, but I did not purchase the unit (I got it from Corsair).
PSU that I have purchased initially and PSU that I need to replace now are two physically different units, with different serial numbers and with different dates of manufacture. These PSUs should have separate 5 year warranties, unless Corsair is willing to sell !the same! unit more than once :)

Last edited by MaxiMax; 02-27-2012 at 12:05 AM.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 564340

Your warranty will go by the date you purchased the initial unit if that unit is replaced a year before the original PSU was purchased then you would have one year left on the warranty for example. If you still have questions or concerns about this I am sorry but you will need to take that up with our customer service. This is not the place for that discussion.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 03-01-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:46 PM
MaxiMax's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564727

Quote:
If you still have questions or concerns about this ... This is not the place for that discussion.
No worries, RamGuy, there's no need for bureaucratic languish. A rule is a rule, and I will not return to the question of warranty again. I am just tired of RMAs and PSU replacements.

However, I find it appropriate to post a sticky note of the following content somewhere on this forum:

If your first PSU burns twice please do not

1. Ask Corsair for a refund. You will never get it. Why? (Hear the voice of the office!) Because Corsair cannot give you a refund for what it did not sell!
2. If your PSUs break down, do not assume that you have a 5 year warranty for every new replacement that you are getting from Corsair. These units are new but their warranty stems out from the very first Corsair PSU that got broken in your consumerist hands! :)

Last edited by MaxiMax; 02-29-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 564995

I am sorry but please take this up with our customer service and this is covered under our warranty policy.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:54 AM
Mr.Bad.Man.Jay's PC Specs

POST ID # = 565203
Mr.Bad.Man.Jay Reputation: 10

food for though a sticky power Button?
PC boot's goes through a cycle for a bit until the power on circuit detect's the button being pressed 4-10 second's then goes in to a shut down cycle..

Have you checked this at all? (Also applies to power buttons on the actual motherboard)

also i doubt the PSU would be totally at fault when it's only an electronic switch pulled low that send's that power on signal to the PSU there is a tolerance for this and I suspect if every PSU was doing this that the motherboard's tolerance on this switching circuit was not up to scratch, I also suggest that Corsairs PSU's may be a little sensitive to variance on there Power on circuit..

Also you can't expect any company to give a new Warranty with every approved return that's like asking for free PSU's for the rest of your life... esp with the AX's 7 year warranty..

Anyway sound's like you found a faulty mother board good luck..

Old 03-03-2012, 04:49 AM
MaxiMax's PC Specs

POST ID # = 565211
Default Update

Ok, yesterday I got a new mobo replacement from Asus and I tested it with the old PSU. *@Mr.Bad.Man.Jay My power buttons are ok. *
My sys powers up well, but it shuts down randomly (again!).

Now I do not understand what is/was going on. I have read mobo and PSU manuals. Everything is/was connected properly. I have had a shutdown problem before, I RMAed my first PSU, I got a PSU replacement now I have a new mobo and the problem is still there. So I am RMAing a PSU that I got as a replacement.

My temperatures are completely normal, but the voltages are abnormally high before the system shuts down.

What's your theory guys: do you think that my old mobo failed 2 PSU units? It seems unlikely to me but I'd like to hear your opinion.

Again, I do no overclocking, my 1600 Corsair XMS memory runs at 1333 by default. No X.M.P. profile. Obviously, PSU was faulty too but why? Any explanation?

Last edited by MaxiMax; 03-03-2012 at 05:08 AM.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Mr.Bad.Man.Jay's PC Specs

POST ID # = 565234
Mr.Bad.Man.Jay Reputation: 10

it's possible something faulty with the old board damaged your PSU, are you sure they sent a new board... I RMA'ed a mobo once got the same board back (fixed) serial no. was the give away..

It's also possible that some other hardware is causing the issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxiMax View Post
Thanks for help, RamGuy.

I am waiting for RMA/replacement from Asus. When I disassembled my pc I have noticed that some contacts on 12v rail connector melted down. Potentially, this could render my system unstable.

I think I would like to replace the PSU under RMA. Should I go ahead and fill out the forms or you could create an RMA request for me?

Thank you,

Max
This happened to me on an OLD Gigabyte X38 based board, it still work's but i need to replace the PSU as the Pin's in the PSU are corroded from the burning.. The motherboard side isn't much better but I cleaned them up best I could.. I could game all day almost but would restart or BSOD while browsing took hours to find the problem the burn mark's on the 24PIN atx connector gave me the first clue...

Last edited by Mr.Bad.Man.Jay; 03-03-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 565805

If the connectors on our PSU cables have any pins that are damaged or burnt please contact our customer service with your previous RMKA and we will take care of the unit replacement.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:17 PM
clukas's PC Specs

POST ID # = 587897
clukas Reputation: 10
Default Random shutdown problem

RAMGuy,

I am having the same issue. System purchased as components in late 2010.

Been running flawlessly until 2 weeks ago. System began shutting down overnight, it would be off in the morning.

About a week ago, it stopped booting (spontaneously shuts down at variable point in time between OS boot and appearance of Win7 login screen). Generally, it stops about 5 seconds after the Windows logo comes together and begins color-cycling.

If I bring up in safe mode it will stay up longer, maybe 5-10 minutes.

No HW changes to machine since I built it. Corsair TX950W PSU+Asus Sabertooth X58.

I upgraded Sabertooth BIOS from 0505 to 1304 yesterday. No effect. Cleaned all the fans. CPU temp looks OK.

Feels like either a PSU or MB issue, but based on this thread seems like PSU is more likely. What do you need me to do to further diagnose?

Old 07-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 587945
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

Clokas, can you see what your voltages are in your BIOS. Do any of them look really far off?