Corsair Community

Why is CUE software required when it is so bad...

brittonv

This is my second experience with this problem with CUE software.

The first time was my Sons Corsair RGB Keyboard for his laptop. WE ended up returning it.

Now I am experiencing the EXACT same issue with my Brand new Computer build, the culprit iCUE. When the icue software is running I get input lag where my things I type on my keyboard (Logitech) are not seen by the computer. I have to retry retry retry, then correct the issues. When I disable icue the keyboard returns to normal but then of course the RGB features on the RAM stop working.

Google "ICUE input lag" and you can see people talking about this for years. At first I thought it was insane that Corsair could not make software that works with their components, but it is even crazier to find that it is that they can't make software at all!

Why do you insist people use this crappy software. Why do you not just allow it to be managed but AURA or other on-board technologies.

...but then of course the RGB features on the RAM stop working.

I suggest reading any of the top threads in the proper iCUE forum and if you are using iCUE 3.19, you need to uninstall and go back to 3.18 for the time being. As for years of "input lag", if it was a direct product of the software then no one would use it and everyone would be affected. Since it most often strikes specific individuals with no hardware specifications, it seems more likely to be a local machine issue for those who think they are experiencing a problem.

Presumably the Aura suggestion to manage the RAM was a joke since that feature is already implemented.

I suggest reading any of the top threads in the proper iCUE forum and if you are using iCUE 3.19, you need to uninstall and go back to 3.18 for the time being. As for years of "input lag", if it was a direct product of the software then no one would use it and everyone would be affected. Since it most often strikes specific individuals with no hardware specifications, it seems more likely to be a local machine issue for those who think they are experiencing a problem.

Presumably the Aura suggestion to manage the RAM was a joke since that feature is already implemented.

Not a joke, I installed CUE as the memory did not show in AURA. Reading the documentation indicated CUE needed to be installed and Software control enabled. This is NOT native support as it still requires CUE to be installed. Regardless with CUE installed or not I never saw the memory in Aura. Maybe that is a symptom of the issues I am seeing. I dunno.

Regarding 3.18 I don't see anything in the forum about it fixing the lag issue. it is a simple uninstall/reinstall?

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

There is a specific issue on 3.19 that affects those using RGB RAM. It causes a large number of system interrupts. Some users see it as a huge increase in a single physical CPU core usage, but even if your load seems balanced and systems interrupts relatively low, there is a definite performance hit and it turns normal operations in to rush hour traffic.

There is a plug in for Aura to take over. Go to the Corsair downloads page, then change the category to "iCUE" (at the very bottom). That should narrow the list to 4 with the Aura element. I have not tried this and don't like Aura very much. I do not know the ins and outs of using Aura with the Corsair RAM. Since I need iCUE for multiple other peripherals and internal devices, it is Aura that I usually banish to the background. However, if you only have the RAM on iCUE product list, once the plug is installed, you may be able to set iCUE not to run on start up and Aura will take over. Another option is to enable hardware mode for the the RAM. That limits you to single layers of effects or presets, but then iCUE is not required once the effect is set.

It should be as simple as uninstalling iCUE 3.19 and re-installing 3.18. However, many users are having issues with software profiles preventing iCUE from functioning. Software profiles are not backwards compatible, so if you create something on 3.19, the prior versions cannot read it. The best thing to do is to "delete user settings" on the uninstall and hopefully since you only have the RAM, the profile loss will not be overly detrimental.

This is the CUE 1 and CUE 2 software forum for the prior versions in use from ~2014-2017. You might find more information in the CUE 3 (iCUE) section.