Corsair Community

linking replaced hydro fans

VERGIL01

hi, i'm sorry if this question was discussed many times already, just link me to it.

I am going to buy hydro cooler (dunno which one exactly), and replace all the fans in my computer, including those in the cpu cooler, with rgb sp120's. will i get any problems linking all of them in one system and controlling them through software?

i fundamentally refuse to touch anything on my computer case except for a power button, i want all my fans to be controlled through the program automatically depending on the load/temperature.

do i need to buy anything extra? i will buy 2 triple fan packs so i will have one contoller at least, is it enough to make all the thing work properly?

Based on the controller and 3 pack remarks, I assume you are referring to the SP120 RGB series fans. Whether or not these can be controlled by software/BIOS is really down to your motherboard. The lighting aspect is a bit different with the separately powered control box, but the actual voltage to power the fan will still come from your motherboard.

The SP120 RGB fans are 3 pin DC. That should not be an issue for the motherboard, although there are some quirky models that have PWM only CPU fan headers. All of the "i" coolers (Corsair Link controlled) also require 4 pin PWM fans for pump control. This does not mean you cannot use a H100i v2, but you will need to power the fans from the motherboard or other fan controller -- not the pump.

Based on the controller and 3 pack remarks, I assume you are referring to the SP120 RGB series fans. Whether or not these can be controlled by software/BIOS is really down to your motherboard. The lighting aspect is a bit different with the separately powered control box, but the actual voltage to power the fan will still come from your motherboard.

The SP120 RGB fans are 3 pin DC. That should not be an issue for the motherboard, although there are some quirky models that have PWM only CPU fan headers. All of the "i" coolers (Corsair Link controlled) also require 4 pin PWM fans for pump control. This does not mean you cannot use a H100i v2, but you will need to power the fans from the motherboard or other fan controller -- not the pump.

yes, rgb, thanks, i forgot to mention that) my motherboard will probably be some asus-pro-gaming-kinda-advanced-all-the-way thing, so i guess it should handle it.

So you're saying that i would need to get something like corsair hub (http://www.corsair.com/ru-ru/corsair-rgb-fan-led-hub) and plug all the fans in it? even those that will be on the hydro cooler? so they will all show up like just fans in the Link-program and those on the cooler won't be recognized as hydro cooler fans. because as i saw in a video, hydro, when connected, has its own menu in the program.

That lighting control hub should be included with the three pack and yes, all 6 fans will need a wire connecting back to that box. It controls the lighting only, not the speed.

You will not be able to use Corsair Link to control any fan speeds in this system. Normally, you can use it to control any fans attached to the pump, but never other case fans. In your case, the 3 pin DC SP120 RGB models will not be controllable from the pump and will be on the motherboard instead. Link will be for lighting management only. You will use the BIOS and/or AI Suite to control fans speeds for all 6. There is also a manual switch that can be used for the fan lighting control, although that would be outside your parameters.

On a side note, Link and AI Suite tend to step on each others toes occasionally. Since you won't be controlling the radiator fans from it, there should not be a control issue. However, I don't know if you need to keep Link active and running for the fan light control or if they can be set and the program then terminated. It would be better not to keep AI Suite and Link running at the same time, even if it is limited to lighting only. You do not have to use AI Suite for fan control and it likely the BIOS is sufficient. However, Asus keeps tying features like the Aura lighting and other aspects to it and thus it can be required for some things. This is very motherboard specific.

Archived