Corsair Community

RM850x starts off fan in idle

speancer

Hello,

I noticed that my RMx series RM850x Corsair power supply randomly starts off its fan even when computer is practically in idle state (while browsing internet etc). This most definitely should not be happening, as this PSU is only supposed to start off the fan under heavy load/high temperature and that's why I bought it in the first place. The PSU's fan is indeed quiet, but audible over my case fans. If I reset my PC, the fan stops working. I guess that's a faulty unit then?

It's not possible for my entire system in full load to draw enough energy to make RM850x's fan spin, I used to have Corsair RM750 for 5 years before, and it never EVER started off its fan, anti-dust filters were always clean. Now, when I have RM850x unit, the filters get dirty and I can clearly hear the fan working. Only PC reset stops it.

All temperatures are fine, cold air is being blown out of the case. Is there anything I could do except starting a warranty claim?

Just to add, my RM750 was refunded after almost 5 years of use, it started making high-pitched noise, my warranty claim was approved. I bought RM850x to replace it, because it was on sale for a good price, I know I don't need that much power.

I am not sure I have ever heard my fan turn on once, I am sure it has when folding@home is running as my UPS says there is about a 500Watt draw through it when folding. But I have never once heard it over my other fans. Maybe faulty and have a bad temp sensor or something. Unless you ambient temps are high in that room.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I've just registered a forum account as I seem to be having the same problem with my RM850x and am wondering what I can do about it

I contacted Corsair Support and they offered me a replacement, I suggest you do the same :)

You'll just need to send them your unit, they're paying for shipping, ordering transportation.

When they get your faulty unit, they will send you a brand-new one, obviously ;)

Edited by speancer