Corsair Community

Hydro X XD5 Reservoir Pump speed and pressue

tomcoleman

Hi

I have installed my custom loop, i noticed on the GPU flow wheel indiciator that the flow is very slow (you can see flow speed below in video)

In iCue the res/pump is connected to Fan header 6, i have also set this to 4PIN, and shows a RPM value of around 1200-1500rpm

The product discription shows for the XD5 that it can do:

Specification:

- Product Type: Pump / Reservoir Combo

- Pump Type: Xylem D5 PWM

- Max Hydraulic Performance: 800L/h at 2.1m pressure head

- Max RPM: 4800RPM

- PWM Duty Cycle Range: 20-100%

- Pump Voltage: 12V

- Max Power Draw: 30w

- Power Connector: 4-pin Molex (AMP Mate-N-Lok) - 45cm cable length

- Signal Cable: 4-pin fan header (KK254)- 45cm cable length

So my question is why is my flow so slow?, i have Fan header 6 on the commander pro in iCue set to the inbuilt option of Hydro X pump

My custom loop

2019-10-06-10-56-37.jpg

Video of flow wheel

[ame]

[/ame]

Having recently completed a similar Hydro X build, you've got a CPU, GPU, {distro plate},VRM block and those elements do provide a fair amount of flow resistance. The VRM block in particular on my Formula always seemed to be a sticking point when trying to get the flow going. I think ~1200 rpm on the pump is a bit low for that number of blocks and the complexity. 2000 is where I let mine ride for normal activity.

It looks like you are moving, so that is what's important. There is a relationship between the coolant flow and time in the radiator channels where heat can be released. Theoretically you can take more heat out in one pass when it spends more time in the radiator, but that also means it spends more time in the block absorbing heat. With moderate fan speed and low pump speed, you might see a coolant drop of 3-3.5C between the hot pick up and the completed pass through the radiators. With moderate to high pump speed and the same or slower fan speeds, you might only see a coolant change of 1-2C. However, in both circumstances the coolant temp entering block 1 is going to be about the same, so unless you are right at your limit with CPU or GPU temps at a critical power throttling level, it really doesn't matter how you approach it. I will suggest you not run at 100% pump speed all day long. Most D5 pumps have a very distinctive high pitch in their last 15% of range and you may get a little more than you bargained for on the GPU spinner.

Edited by c-attack

• Corsair Employee

If you are using the iCUE Hydro X profile for the pump, then the pump speed is set according to the coolant temperature. It provides the optimal setting to achieve best cooling performance/noise level. It'll ramp up the pump speed once the coolant temperature will start to rise.

Setting it to 100% will definitely increase the flow rate but I would not suggest to keep it at 100% as it will not offer significant improvement over the Hydro X profile once the CPU and GPU will be under load and coolant up to the working temperature.

guys thanks for the replies and that does make sense, i recently watched the jaystwocents video about contact time vs flow rate in a custom loop.

i just didnt want no flow, but there is flow and i can see it on the GPU flow wheel, im going to try a custom curve tonight just to see what my "max" is and see if this increases the flow wheel.

If it does then i'll be happy to use a softer curve wether that is pre-built or custom i'll decide

will do some more testing tonight!

ok did the following last night which resolved the issue

and this pump is powerful proper powerful

In icue i set a custom profile/fan curve for my XD5 pump to 100% to see how fast this baby can go, BOOOM

no problem pushing water around my loop, the GPU indicator was going mental

[ame]

[/ame]

I use ASUS Fan Expert 4, it allows the PUMP to be adjusted whichever way possible. iCUE is fine but I rather set the parameters I want.

i have the Asus formula x570 board with the same software but i choose to use icue its quite configurible and nice that it tracks the temp sensors to auto adjust the speeds depending on fluid temp something the Asus softare cant do. :bigeyes:

• 3 months later...

Was wondering the same about pump speeds and have been running it 100% to get out air and I thought something was wrong....but it works and I see a lot of little bubbles in the GPU block :-) To be honest I am very surprised that I cant hear the pump after reading comments about pump whine

With coolant at 31C the pump runs about 2100rpm (48%) ..this is idle with a room temp of 26C

I use ASUS Fan Expert 4, it allows the PUMP to be adjusted whichever way possible. iCUE is fine but I rather set the parameters I want.

If that's really the case, then iCUE + Commander Pro are far, far, far, far more flexible to adjust it "whichever way possible" according to the parameters you want.

Plus, CPU temp isn't really an appropriate source for your water cooling control temps.