Corsair Community

Commander PRO USB 2.0 Ports: Pass Through

tennengr

I've decided to add a 2nd Commander Pro to allow iCUE control of all 10 QL120 fans. However, I need an additional USB 2.0 port since the 2 motherboard USB 2.0 ports are full with the 1st Commander Pro and the NZXT Kraken Z73 cooler.

The Commander Pro literature indicates that the 2 USB connections are pass through connections for USB 2.0. Are there any issues with connecting the 2nd Commander Pro to 1 of these?

I assume that there are limitations (amp draw?) to stacking devices through multiple USB pass throughs connected to a single motherboard USB 2.0 port. Meaning my 1st Commander Pro has a spare USB 2.0 pass through and now the 2nd Commander Pro has 2 spare USB 2.0 pass throughs.

I can envision adding an iCUE power supply and a couple of Lighting Node Pros with ambient lighting strips.

Thoughts?

A powered fan hub is a "dumb" device and allows you to put multiple fans, controlled as a single unit, on one header without having to worry about the power (as it has it's own power source). Typically, they will get power from SATA. The PWM signal comes from the CoPro and it reports the RPM of one fan. From the CoPro's 'perspective', it's one fan. But it's actually multiple fans, controlled together.

they are pretty much all the same - i'd even say they come from the same factory in china. any generic hub you can find available on amazon will do.

generally, they have a sata power connector, 6-10 or even more PWM headers for your fans and one PWM line that connects to the Commander for rpm control.

Keep in mind, as DevBiker mentioned, all fans connected to the hub will basically be a single unit - so same speed. I have all my radiator fans connected to one because they run the same speed anyways. my case fans are connected seperately to my Commander.

Edited by Infin1tum