Corsair Community

RM750x - fan orientation

Kryten2340

Hi,

Is there a right and wrong way to mount this PSU inside my case? I have the Corsair 465x (White) and I have vents both underneath the case and also in the PSU shroud. Just wondering which way around I should me mounting the PSU.

The case will be sat on a desk if that helps.

Usually the fan should be intaking outside air. So ... with the fan facing the bottom vent.

Yeah that's been my long standing view and what I've done on any build I've done in the past. This case has threw me a bit with it having a vent on the top of the PSU shroud.

This is an interesting question...

For the power supplies with hybrid fan control or zero RPM mode, where the fan is stopped in low charge (like in this case) some manufacturers recommends to mount the power supply with the fan facing upwards, this way, when the fan is stopped the heat can be dissipated by natural convection trough the fan grille.

Check in your manual if Corsair recommends something like this.

• 2 weeks later...
I have my RM850x, which has a Zero RPM mode as yours does, facing with the fan sucking outside air from the bottom of my Crystal 570X case. The case does have the ability for the fan to face up as well but I figure if the PSU gets warm it will activate the fan and vent out the back, instead of letting heat drift into the case when the fan is off.