Corsair Community

Corsair Obsidian 1000D Build Log/How to Guide

Hi

I have solved the problem of the rmp of the fans, when connecting the deepcool fh-10 fan hub with the commander pro the rmps became crazy and uncontrollable. The conflict comes when connecting it with the commander pro, if it is connected directly to the motherboard there is no problem.

i have it set up that way my self.. works a treat... in iCue in the 1000D tab you get chassis lighting tab (controls logo and front IO) and the normal 2 lighting channel tabs. channel 1 would be your daisy chained strips

to add... 6 strips... or 6 corsair RGB Fans via the Corsair RGB Fan LED hub ;)...

Well, I thought that the concept of the commander PRO for each Lighting channel was to control and not to power the RGB lights.

Through your post, I understand that in this specific case, commander pro Lighting Channel 1, not only controls but also powers the logo and front IO lights of the obsidian 1000d, while it can also "control" an additional RGB FAN LED HUB in Lighting Channel 1 .

Is my understanding correct?

Hi

I have solved the problem of the rmp of the fans, when connecting the deepcool fh-10 fan hub with the commander pro the rmps became crazy and uncontrollable. The conflict comes when connecting it with the commander pro, if it is connected directly to the motherboard there is no problem.

I'm currently using 3 DeepCool FH-10's w/24 LL120 RGB fans plugged in to them (8 per FH-10 hub). I'm in the midst of testing the wiring before fully installing everything into the case. I figure it'll be easier to deal with replacing a faulty fan or a faulty hub or cable outside the box than inside.

Anyway, in iCUE, under Performance, they show up as 3 connected fans (which is expected since their are 3 hubs wired to CoPro PWM ports 1, 2 and 3).

Fans #1 and #3 seem to work partially okay, RPM-wise. I can change the cooling mode around and the fans adapt. However, at higher RPM settings (using the Extreme performance mode, for example), while the RPMs increase, they seem to jump all over the place, including showing RPMs the LL120 RGB cannot possibly achieve (well over 1500 RPM).

Fan #2 seems stuck at 650 or so RPMs which is running roughly 200 RPMs under the other two, despite sharing the exact same performance mode. Not really sure what's going on there yet.

I'm also having some RGB lighting issues. So I definitely have some wiring kinks to sort out.

I'm going to check that all the connections are secure and try again.

Just a question, i love your build and have 1000D myself. Is it possible to run EK's 480 XE rads in a push pull config in the front, theirs enough clearance in the front? Noob question i know ive never done water cooling personally and am just about to take the dive and im scared beyond my years its always been Air cooling. I was thinking of doing the 480's in the front and two 360 rads on top. The top im not worried about but the front i am bit worried. Thanks again and awesome build.

I have 16 fans wired up to 2 EK XE480 rads on a tray that's intended to go in front. I am currently testing my fan wiring while outside the box. And running into some issues.

But once I have that sorted out, hopefully in a day or so, I will insert the tray and see if it fits. I'll report back if it works or not for me.

Theoretically, it should. Others out there have done it w/these rads (as revealed by a couple web-searches). But it's going to be very close.

Edited by cc10101

hi buddy,,

http://i.imgur.com/hANkZEYl.jpg

thats the pass through.. my hubs are connected to it via splitters.. channel one on the commander pro is fed to the sails logo.. then to the front io.. and then to pass through.

in icue its all separated in chassis lighting and Lighting channel 1

http://i.imgur.com/Ip6pOiYl.png

Zotty, I wired up 24 fans (16 in PP w/a couple 480 rads plus 8 in another tray). I'm using a wiring approach almost exactly like what you're doing in your current 1000D build, per your chart).

So, for CoPro lighting channel #1, I have 16 fans, 4 per RGB LED hub, for a total of 4 hubs, that use 3 y-splitters to feed into the built in CoPro connector at the front/top of the case (same as you).

All the fans are lighting up. But the pattern (I have a pattern that cycles across all RGB devices) is not what I expected.

I'm confused about a few things.

(1) Although I have 16 fans wired up to CoPro lighting channel 1, iCUE only allows me to specify a maximum of 6 fans connected. Is there a way to tell iCUE there are 16 fans connected?

(2) If the answer to question #1 is no, then how many fans do you tell iCUE there are on each lighting channel? I've tried all possibilities (1 - 6) and only setting to 4 - 6 causes all 16 fans to light up, and so far as I can tell, there's no difference to iCUE if I say 4, 5 or 6.

(3) Using the Y-splitters causes iCUE to apply a pattern to multiple fans at the same time, as opposed individually. I thought that might happen. Is this unavoidable?

(4) If the answer to #3 is that yes, multiple fans will share a "location" in the pattern, then it seems that I should specify 4 total fans per lighting channel (as 16 is evenly divisible by 4). But I'm unclear on how to get iCUE to allow me to specify which 4 fan are in each group? How did you do that?

Thanks.

(1) Although I have 16 fans wired up to CoPro lighting channel 1, iCUE only allows me to specify a maximum of 6 fans connected. Is there a way to tell iCUE there are 16 fans connected?

Nope.

(2) If the answer to question #1 is no, then how many fans do you tell iCUE there are on each lighting channel? I've tried all possibilities (1 - 6) and only setting to 4 - 6 causes all 16 fans to light up, and so far as I can tell, there's no difference to iCUE if I say 4, 5 or 6.

You are using splitters so, just like PWM splitters, it 'appears', to iCUE, as one single hub. The control signal is duplicated to all of the hubs connected to the splitter(s).

(3) Using the Y-splitters causes iCUE to apply a pattern to multiple fans at the same time, as opposed individually. I thought that might happen. Is this unavoidable?

WHen using splitters, yes. See above.

(4) If the answer to #3 is that yes, multiple fans will share a "location" in the pattern, then it seems that I should specify 4 total fans per lighting channel (as 16 is evenly divisible by 4). But I'm unclear on how to get iCUE to allow me to specify which 4 fan are in each group? How did you do that?

Yup, the splitters work best when all hubs are identical. So you group the fans based on location. For example, the front left are on one hub (1,2,3,4) and the front right are on another hub (1,2,3,4). You do need to consider this when ordering the fans in the fan hub.

I'm currently using 3 DeepCool FH-10's w/24 LL120 RGB fans plugged in to them (8 per FH-10 hub). I'm in the midst of testing the wiring before fully installing everything into the case. I figure it'll be easier to deal with replacing a faulty fan or a faulty hub or cable outside the box than inside.

Anyway, in iCUE, under Performance, they show up as 3 connected fans (which is expected since their are 3 hubs wired to CoPro PWM ports 1, 2 and 3).

Fans #1 and #3 seem to work partially okay, RPM-wise. I can change the cooling mode around and the fans adapt. However, at higher RPM settings (using the Extreme performance mode, for example), while the RPMs increase, they seem to jump all over the place, including showing RPMs the LL120 RGB cannot possibly achieve (well over 1500 RPM).

Fan #2 seems stuck at 650 or so RPMs which is running roughly 200 RPMs under the other two, despite sharing the exact same performance mode. Not really sure what's going on there yet.

I'm also having some RGB lighting issues. So I definitely have some wiring kinks to sort out.

I'm going to check that all the connections are secure and try again.

Responding to my own post to fill in some more findings...

I'm now noticing that, even in my low RPM custom curve performance mode, the fan RPM values shown in iCUE are jumping all over the place. Including seeming some crazy values (like 8000+ RPMs). This is now happening on fan #s 1 and 2, while fan #3 seems relatively stable, by comparison at least.

The fans themselves don't seem to be spinning up to crazy RPMs. Just seems like the sensing isn't working quite right.

Nope.

You are using splitters so, just like PWM splitters, it 'appears', to iCUE, as one single hub. The control signal is duplicated to all of the hubs connected to the splitter(s).

WHen using splitters, yes. See above.

Yup, the splitters work best when all hubs are identical. So you group the fans based on location. For example, the front left are on one hub (1,2,3,4) and the front right are on another hub (1,2,3,4). You do need to consider this when ordering the fans in the fan hub.

Thanks, DevBiker.

So basically, iCUE will see 4 fans as 1 for patterns. I mostly assumed that would be the case, so I was careful to wire the batches of 8 fans up to led hubs in exactly the same way. Or at least I think I did, I will verify.

Considering just the 8 fans at the very front of the case, Zotty wired all the fans on the front-side of one rad to a hub, then all the fans on the other rad to a hub.

I did it a bit differently, but consistently across all 6 fan hubs (all 24 fans):

If you view the front 8 fans as spreadsheet cells (viewed from the front of the case), then I wired them like this:

A1|B1 --> hub A, ports 1 and 2

A2|B2 --> hub A, ports 3 and 4

A3|B3 --> hub B, ports 1 and 2

A4|B4 --> hub B, ports 3 and 4

Zotty's is:

A1|B1 --> hub A, port 1 / hub B port 1

A2|B2 --> hub A, port 2 / hub B port 2

A3|B3 --> hub A, port 3 / hub B port 3

A4|B4 --> hub A, port 4 / hub B port 4

But what I'm noticing, with my fans at least, is that the fans aren't lighting four fans at a time in a logical or consistent pattern at all. I would've expected that A1 and B1 (from my spreadsheet above) would light in the same time at the same point in the lighting pattern. Then A2, B2, etc.

But that's not happening. The batches of 4 are not adjacent most of the time (although for some fans, they are).

I'll play with different wiring schemes to see what happens. I don't need each fan addressed individually. But it would be nice to get some degree of logical addressing within sequential lighting patterns.

I'm very glad I decided to test all this out while everything is still outside the box, and before I made the water-loop connections. Makes it *way* easier to rewire stuff. :biggrin:

No, based on your spreadsheet above, A1 and A3 would match, B1 and B3 would match, etc. I've seen some folks do that and they like it.

It sounds like you'd be happier with Zotty's layout. Personally, I think that's cooler but everyone has their own preferences. And RGB setup is definitely a personal thing and should reflect what you want (as much as possible).

No, based on your spreadsheet above, A1 and A3 would match, B1 and B3 would match, etc. I've seen some folks do that and they like it.

It sounds like you'd be happier with Zotty's layout. Personally, I think that's cooler but everyone has their own preferences. And RGB setup is definitely a personal thing and should reflect what you want (as much as possible).

Yep, the way it's lighting up seems largely in line with what you said: A1 and A3 are synchronized, as are B1 and B3. There are a couple not working that way, but I probably crossed wires somewhere, perhaps at one of the splitters or something.

This all makes more sense to me now. Wired correctly, each RGB LED hub channel gets the same signal. So all the hub port #1s connected to the CoPro lighting channel will be treated as a single fan. Kind of obvious to me now; in hindsight.

So yes, Zotty's wiring approach would appear to give me what I was going for which was to have A1,B1 do whatever lighting thing, then A2,B2, and so on, moving in "spreadsheet rows" across the surface of a radiator.

Having now figured it out (with your help, thanks), it may all be for naught as I cannot get the DeepCool FH-10s to work reliably. Fans speeds are all over the place. And RPM sensing is clearly not working as some reported RPMs get to 3000 or 4000 RPMs, which obviously isn't possible on LL120 RGB fans (max ~1500).

So, since I already have two CoPros (the 1000D one, and one I bought awhile ago), and for the sake of expediency, I ordered two more CoPros to wire everything up. With 4 CoPros, I can wire up 32 fans without using LED splitters (although perhaps, for cable mgmt purposes, I might still combine them all down per Zotty's approach anyway).

I will have 8 PWM splitters (2 per CoPro). But the max fan PWN connections per CoPro will be 8, which should be okay.

I want to also add the EKWB res/pump combo to a CoPro (so a 9th PWM connection). But I'll have to figure out the amperage and make sure it stays under the limit. If not, hopefully I can take 2 fans from 1 CoPro and add them as 9th PWM connections to 2 other CoPros, and that will give me 6 PWM fan connections plus the EKWB pump PWM connection on a single CoPro. Otherwise, I guess I'll be ordering a 5th CoPro.

This build has grown truly, embarrassingly, ridiculous in cost. LOL

Thanks again for all your help.

to add to this... i went through a few ways of wiring the front 16 fans/hubs RGB until it settled on the way it is now. its literally the only way to get things to sync and flow nice... its basically 4 clones of the 4 fans selected in iCUE. running bottom to top of case

setup is like this

___

l4-4l

l3-3l

l2-2l

l1-1l

-----

same config on back of the rad, bottoms fans are first fans in the chain

Edited by Zotty

to add to this... i went through a few ways of wiring the front 16 fans/hubs RGB until it settled on the way it is now. its literally the only way to get things to sync and flow nice... its basically 4 clones of the 4 fans selected in iCUE. running bottom to top of case

setup is like this

___

l4-4l

l3-3l

l2-2l

l1-1l

-----

same config on back of the rad, bottoms fans are first fans in the chain

I saw that you did that in your chart. But I misunderstood how the signals worked with the CoPro and therefore also misunderstood which fans your wiring approach would synchronize during lighting patterns.

I get it now, though, and it makes perfect sense. If I weren't switching to using 4 CoPros, I'd be switching my wiring to match yours because I definitely would want the 1s, 2s, 3s, and 4s to be synchronized (although I'd put the 1s at the top and the 4s at the bottom).

Unless there's a problem with having the LED wiring all funnel into the 1000D's CoPro using Y-splitters, while having the PWM wiring split across 4 CoPros, I might still do it your way because the pattern (two by two, front and back of the rads) is probably nicer than having each individual fan light by itself.

I already ordered the additional 2 CoPros or I'd give the Silverstone 8-port PWM hubs a try. They might work better than the DeepCool hubs are working for me.

you would want first at the bottom so lighting heads up and over the top and towards the back and then down the back if that makes sense

He may prefer it the other way around Zotty - starting at the back and moving forward over the top and then down the front - waterfall style - horses for courses :-)