Corsair Community

[QUESTION] ~ 4GB modules, 256MB chips, which models?

Zehryo

Hi everybody.

I've been struggling for almost a month, now, with a problem of compatibility between a motherboard's chipset and RAM modules.

By researching and googling around I've narrowed the range of possible culprits down to the size of memory chips the modules embed.

I need modules with 256MB chips. That's it.

And I need to mount 16GB in 4 sockets, thus I need 4GB modules.

Now.

How may I check what type of chips a module got? Is there some link to deep specs spreadsheets anywhere on the main Corsair site?

If not, does anybody know a 4GB model that embeds 256MB chips?

Thank you.

It's not on the product pages. There's no way to guarantee which IC size you get.

You mean I can see whether a memory module is compatible or not only after buying it?

Then that table you linked is completely useless, its only purpose is to tell you what you're using, not what you're buying. -.-'

The table is not useless at all, if you buy in an actual store because the version number is usually visible through a window in the packaging (at least for my Corsair DDR3 kits it was). So you can get a specific version, if you need to.

There also is the possibility to buy special magic kits, that can only be produced from very specific ICs, however i would not recommend going that route since it is usually an expensive one ;)

If you have a system that's old enough that you need to worry about the IC size, you may want to consider upgrading.

I'm trying to buy from Amazon, which doesnt supply pictures that show the version number.

Thus it happens to be useless, if you cant physically put your hands on the thing.

Damn.

Apparently, chips' size is a vital information for many systems, then why is it not included in the product's specifications? Not even on Corsair's site!! >.<

• Administrators

What motherboard / CPU do you currently have?

I'm trying to buy from Amazon, which doesnt supply pictures that show the version number.

Thus it happens to be useless, if you cant physically put your hands on the thing.

Damn.

Apparently, chips' size is a vital information for many systems, then why is it not included in the product's specifications? Not even on Corsair's site!! >.<

Even if a store shows you a version number, there's no way they can guarantee the version number.

Chip size is only important when you have a system so old that the IC improvements that happen over time have eclipsed what the CPU's memory controller can handle. In other words, a memory controller's designed to handle what's currently out on the market and maybe the next size that's coming out. Eventually though a bigger size comes out that the memory controller can't handle. In the beginning that's fine because new = expensive. Over time it becomes more in demand and it's cheaper to make and eventually most modules are made with it. Old CPUs have less and less compatible memory out there because of market demand.

What motherboard / CPU do you currently have?

[....]

Chip size is only important when you have a system so old that the IC improvements that happen over time have eclipsed what the CPU's memory controller can handle.[....]

It's a Foxconn H55M-S with an i3. The chipset can handle up to 16GB, but only with 256MB chips.

On the Corsair site, in the memory compatibility tool, this motherboard model is not listed, but other models from other brands with the same chipset were said to be compatible with a 16GB (4x4GB) kit.

Mine is not, and just because chips' size is 512MB instead of 256MB.

Archived