The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 05:04 PM

POST ID # = 910648
holaz Reputation: 10
Default [Q]H110i temperature fluctuation

Hi all.

After being able to properly control the H110i with Corsair Link, I got to play around with it for a while.

Right now, im creating my own profile, since as you can see in the picture, my processor (no OC yet) fluctuates from 30-40 C constantly. Is this normal? I was expecting a fixed temperature. This happens while the computer is IDLE.
While gaming seems to be working well. No more than 6x C.

(In case image is not displayed properly : https://ibb.co/iZV47v

Currently, im running the fans at a fixed 1000RMP. When gaming, I switch the profile to balanced (somewhat noisy).

The pump is in quiet. I always leave it that way.

Do you think that fluctuation is normal? Any advice on how to proper configure the fans/pump?
Im new to WC so this is a learning curve.

Thank you all.

Last edited by holaz; 07-07-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:26 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 910653
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

Your PC is rarely doing nothing and your core and package temps will only be stready if you have set your Windows and BIOS options to allow it. In order to give any meaning to this you would need to have a matching frequency log of CPU activity. There is an extremely long list of things that may be responsible and most them are lawful. Fan and pump speed have no bearing on this, other than if the pump was stop/starting through that process. That is probably not the case.

Chances are Windows was running some background task, Windows defender, etc. etc. One thing you can check on is your Power Options in the control panel. A setting of Performance will keep your cores at 100% min and create obvious idle activity, even when nothing is happening. The common gamer gambit of creating a Performance Plan clone with a lower CPU min activity level will also cause core activity at idle when they would normally drift into a C1 state. Your C-state levels in the BIOS may also affect the CPUs ability to truly calm down. If c-states are disabled, you might not see a flat line.

When you say "constantly", do you mean it literally --- every single moment the PC is running? Or just frequently?

Old 07-07-2017, 09:55 PM

POST ID # = 910706

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
Your PC is rarely doing nothing and your core and package temps will only be stready if you have set your Windows and BIOS options to allow it. In order to give any meaning to this you would need to have a matching frequency log of CPU activity. There is an extremely long list of things that may be responsible and most them are lawful. Fan and pump speed have no bearing on this, other than if the pump was stop/starting through that process. That is probably not the case.

Chances are Windows was running some background task, Windows defender, etc. etc. One thing you can check on is your Power Options in the control panel. A setting of Performance will keep your cores at 100% min and create obvious idle activity, even when nothing is happening. The common gamer gambit of creating a Performance Plan clone with a lower CPU min activity level will also cause core activity at idle when they would normally drift into a C1 state. Your C-state levels in the BIOS may also affect the CPUs ability to truly calm down. If c-states are disabled, you might not see a flat line.

When you say "constantly", do you mean it literally --- every single moment the PC is running? Or just frequently?
Thanks for your reply,

What you said makes sense, but what it feels weird is that the fluctuations are constant, literally. Using or not using the computer. The power option under windows is in balanced.

Here is an update of the temps. I just opened the app randomly and took a screenshot.
URL: https://ibb.co/eM38ja

*I have to check whats the status of the c-state

Some more info: I believe a probable reason can be my processor (Ryzen 1700) changing the processor frecuency from 1500mhz to 3400mhz. (I believe that is because I have the AMD Cool n quiet activated).
https://ibb.co/iOEjqF
https://ibb.co/gJEjqF

Last edited by holaz; 07-07-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:07 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 910708

That's enough to go looking, but I would start with the task manager and see what's running, using CPU resources, etc.

Also, package temperature is bit weird. On most CPUs it is a specific sensor somewhere in the top near the IHS, but it is often unique to each processor series. Do the cores also do this fluctuation? Open up some other monitoring program, close Link, and see if it does the same.

If you are using SIV, it may be better at visually displaying CPU activity overlayed with package temp, core temp, or similar. This thing seems to have a clear wave pattern to it. When I see stuff like that I think virus scanning or indexing, but that is far from certain.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:23 PM

POST ID # = 910710

Ok, so I turned my system to Performance. It locked my CPU clock to 3400Mhz, and it is a solid straight line.
Image: https://ibb.co/hsjvxv

So, it is probably the C n' Q. Those jumps in frequencies can be due to windows services. I will have to spend some time checking services and processes.
It is a fresh windows install, so I discard any type of virus/malware. The frequencies vary on each single core (as expected)
https://ibb.co/gvMaxv

Last edited by holaz; 07-07-2017 at 10:26 PM.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:04 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 910714

Win 10 is sneaky and despite their claims to contrary, I find mine goes off and does inappropriate things while I am already loaded.

I agree with your assessment and I now see this is a AMD. I don't know anything about the new CPUs and package temp may have a different meaning on the Ryzen compared to Intel. Also, there is a long list of programs still trying sort out their temperature readings on the new CPUs. I do not know if that applies to your current situation, but I would not do anything rash trying to solve it without solid evidence there is a problem. Your +6C coolant delta when loaded is what I would expect and it appears the cooler is functioning normally.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:32 PM

POST ID # = 910774

Thanks for your help sr.

My next step is to turn off CnQ, and check what happens. I'm now convinced that is what makes the temperatures and the frequencies fluctuate. I used several (6) different programs (software) to read the temps. All of them agree.

So, if the delta T seems normal to you, I would not worry too much. Thank you very much for your help!

Old 07-08-2017, 01:58 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 910780

Yes, I am still watching the new Ryzen models, but +6-7C coolant delta in a controlled CPU only test. You can see as much +10-12C rise when under mixed and high GPU load, although the majority of that heat comes from the elevated ambient case temperature and not the CPU directly. Very GPU and load dependent.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:52 AM

POST ID # = 910823

Indeed the temps of the GPU are not helping at all. While gaming, the GPU goes all the way to 80C. Cpu goes up to 5X C with around 30% usage.

I can tell there is a lot of heat inside the case (Phanteks P400) just by touching the tempered glass. The case has very good air flow, but I will probably need to put some better fans at the back and 2 at the top (exhaust) (Right now I have 1 and 1)

I still haven't deactivated the CnQ. If I have some free time tomorrow I will perform a mild OC and see how it goes

Last edited by holaz; 07-09-2017 at 01:06 AM.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:16 PM

POST ID # = 910897

UPDATE:

Overclocked my CPU to 3.7Ghz and ajusted the voltage. What was interesting is that the motherboard had set up automatic voltage, so it jumped from 1 to 1.4X V (leading to higher temperatures)

Now, I fixed the voltage to 1.25 V, and with the processor @3.7Ghz the temp is stable (32C).

I believe I got that solved. Now, one more question. Who controls the pump speed? Corsair link?
I realized I have an option (Smart fan) in the BIOS, where I can let the bios control the pump RPM. Is that good?

Old 07-09-2017, 07:17 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 910905

No. Do not try to adjust pump speed through the BIOS or other fan controls. That reduces the voltage to the pump and its fans, slowing all them and more importantly the pump is designed to run at 12v all the time. Not good for the long term.

The pump speed does adjust through the Link software. It is a simple high/low (Performance/Quiet) toggle. Generally, the quiet setting is enough and higher pumps speeds do not always mean better temperatures. That also means less time in the radiator channels and theoretically less heat expelled per trip with the counter-balance of more trips.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:02 AM

POST ID # = 910915

Thank you very much, I suspected about that. That is why I deactivated the pump controller on the bios.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:11 AM

POST ID # = 910924
Hydroponic Reputation: 10

Go into Corsair Link and setup a fan profile. Look under the heading "H110i" and then go to "fan." Click that and it will open a dialog. Go to the "Group" tab and switch it to "H110i temp" if it's not set there already. I recommend setting up a fan curve something like this:

30°C = 25% fan
35°C = 30% fan
38°C = 35% fan
40°C = 40% fan
45°C = 50% fan
50°C = 100% fan

You should never hit 50°C unless something is wrong, which is why I usually set mine to put the fan at 100% for anything at that temp or over.

Setting it up a fan profile based on coolant temp will stop your fans from fluctuating wildly and they will only kick up as the water temp increases (and the water temp is all that matters with liquid cooling).

Under normal use and with normal ambient temps (20-25°C) your coolant should hit ~40°C only under long sustained heavy loads, so anything above 40°C, you should allow your fans to kick up to a higher audible level. If you have a GPU that blows air into the case, then you might see temps over 40°C under heavy GPU and CPU loads.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:59 PM

POST ID # = 910983

Hi, thanks for your reply. I will definitely create a profile based on temps. The fans that come with this kit are 2200 RPM Right? That is what I get once I max them.

I have a EVGA GTX 1080Ti. That is not a blower style, so it drops A LOT of heat into the case under intensive use. After the OC, I havent seen the CPU reach the 60C temp barrier (fans at 1200RPM)

Old 07-11-2017, 09:37 PM

POST ID # = 911221

New question:

When I create a profile (fan curve), under group, why is H110i temp? Shouldnt be base on the CPU temp?