Corsair Community

HX1200 very loud at idle

mattporter

Hi everyone

First time post.

I recently put together a new build (full specs in profile), including a HX1200 and a H100i Platinum AIO.

Having previously had an RM850x, I have noticed this HX1200 PSU is comparatively very loud even with system load at 2-3%. Is this normal?

Using an iPhone app, the noise is registering at ~45dbA, although I suspect at least half that is ambient.

From what I can tell, it sounds like the PSU fan is running at full speed. I’ve used Fan Control, iCUE and even unplugging one DC case fan to isolate the problem. With no other case or GPU fans running (ie I checked them visually and confirmed), there is still a very loud fan noise.

Also, my BIOS (MSI Click 5, with latest FW update) registers the CPU Fan (which is connected to the AIO) as running between 3500-5000rpm even in the BIOS. I do not seem to be able to control this, even using custom fan curves that force a Zero RPM.

Using iCue, I have set the AIO fans to Zero RPM and the Pump to “Balanced”, but I’m still getting noise even with the pump running at around 1900rpm and the fans idle.

I’ve also run a calculation to check the wattage requirements for my build, and the online tool recommended a 650W PSU, so at idle I feel like the total load should theoretically be below the Zero RPM threshold. The reason I bought the HX1200 was for quiet operation and future allowance for dual GPUs (I only have a single 1080Ti at the moment).

My suspicion is that perhaps I have a faulty PSU, but I thought I should ask here first in case there is an obvious solution I’m missing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by mattporter
Added more detail

The MSI BIOS can set a fan that is connected to one of the motherboard headers. MSI boards have a header for a pump for a water cooler as well. MSI also has an RGB header but you need to use the MSI software to manage that.

I use Link to monitor my PSU and that is all.

Thanks for the replies.

There’s nothing else in my system, other than what is listed. As I mentioned before, the other fans are not moving (I eyeballed them) and I still have the noise. The only other thing with a fan in it is the PSU - hence why I’m posting here with concern.

I’m using a Fractal Design Define C, which only has one set of screw locations (fan down). This is best anyway, because the fan utilises the underside venting (with a filter).

Although I have set the fan curves in the BIOS for CPU, they seem to have no effect. In fact, I think they may be reporting incorrect data. I have nothing connected to the Pump Fan header, as the H100i instructions indicate that you should use the CPU fan header.

Regardless, the fan on the PSU is running high. The HX1200 doesn’t have monitoring or control as far as I know? (I have the non “i” model).

Again, I would expect the fan NOT to spin while CPU load is at 2-3%. The fan should be Zero RPM up to about 480W (40%). I would be surprised if an idle system with my specs was drawing that. No overclocking on CPU, but RAM has XMP switched on. Not that I think that would lead to so much noise.

Any other ideas folks?

Edited by mattporter
Additional info

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for the replies.

I’m using a Fractal Design Define C, which only has one set of screw locations (fan down). This is best anyway, because the fan utilises the underside venting (with a filter).

No, it's not because heat generated by the PSU rises into the PCB.

Example: https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=200131

Again, I would expect the fan NOT to spin while CPU load is at 2-3%. The fan should be Zero RPM up to about 480W (40%). I would be surprised if an idle system with my specs was drawing that.

PSU fan speed is determined by load OR temperature. So if you're in a hot environment, the PSU fan is going to spin.

Thanks. The CPU is idling at 30C. GPU at 43C. PCH at 50C. Without fans. And without load.

We are not in a hot environment. Ambient is 20C.

Good to know temperature also determines fan speed - but seems unlikely if the PSU is running correctly given the above?

Also, the drive on the rear of the PCB is idling at 24C, suggesting the ambient in the case isn’t an issue either. All the temp sensors are within ~40C.

Edited by mattporter
Added ambient data

There are 2 x 140mm front intake, a 120mm exhaust at the rear, and 2 x 120mm fans on the cooler configured as exhaust.

The 1080Ti also has dual fans.

However, I’m not sure how that is relevant. NONE of them are moving because I’ve deliberately configured them to ZERO RPM to isolate the problem.

As I mentioned previously, I have physically inspected the fans to make sure they are not moving. The only fan that is spinning is the PSU. And it is way louder than I would expect.

Again, this is with the machine idling at 2-3% CPU and all temp sensors sitting at around 40C or less.

The only slightly warmer part is the PCH at 50C.

• Corsair Employee

It could be just a faulty fan controller then.

I asked about other components because sometimes weird "non-essential" loads will put more strain on the DC to DC cards inside the PSU (the ones that convert +5V and +3.3V). These are not even passively cooled (no heatsink) so they can get hot quickly when you have quirky loads like, lots of RGB, lots of USB devices, etc.

Thanks @jonnyguru. That makes sense.

I've deliberately switched off RGB on everything - mostly because my case is fully sealed (no window). I realise it won't be adding much in terms of load or heat - but it's wholly unnecessary, so have turned it off.

Based on what you have read so far, do you feel a faulty fan controller is quite likely? Don't want to RMA it only to find that it's not faulty after all.

Putting it another way, should I expect at least some degree of fan activity given my configuration, even at idle? As I mentioned before, I had an RM850 that was quiet as a mouse - but this is my first real high wattage PSU, so not sure if my expectations are realistic?

As I mentioned before, I bought the HX1200 expecting whisper quiet operation for the most part, and headroom to support the future dual GPU configuration (waiting for the 3080 20Gb cards to release). I realise it will spin up under heat / load, but I didn't expect it to sound like a jet engine while idling.

Given I still have the RM850, and that the calculator indicated a max wattage of 620W, I feel like I could (with some frustration) swap in the 850 and check the noise levels to get a sense for it. Would just hate to do that only to find the same outcome and have to swap back again!

Grateful if you can give me a sense for whether - on balance - you think it's likely the fan controller.

Cheers

OK - so plot twist.

It occurred to me that although I had observed the case and AIO cooler fans NOT spinning, I hadn't validated that the fan in the PSU WAS spinning.

Turns out, it's not spinning after all. So the PSU is doing its job.

The only other thing I can think of that is causing this noise then has to be the pump. It shows as running at between 1800 and 2200 RPM ... but I thought the pump was supposed to be quiet as well?

Again, I'm interested to know if my expectations are too high here. As I have mentioned before, the pump is set to "Balanced" (as are the fans) via iCUE. I wouldn't expect the pump (which is also new) to be making this much noise?

Thanks in advance.

weird "non-essential" loads, lots of RGB, lots of USB devices, etc.

you trying to say RGB is none essential? :D .. what about the Unicorns?.. how will they survive the hard times ahead.. although.. i prefer none essential to edge case :D::D::D:

Now I'm really scratching my head.

I physically disconnected the AIO cooler power cable. Still had the noise.

Removed the video card. Still had the noise.

So, the only thing left that could be making the sound is ... the MOTHERBOARD.

That seems extremely odd to me - since it has heatsinks onboard, but as far as I am aware, no fans. Or perhaps there are? At least that would be consistent with the readout that says "11K" for a "MOS FAN" in the BIOS. Certainly, something running at that speed would make a heck of a racket.

For now, consider this thread closed. It's clearly not the PSU or the AIO that are causing me the trouble (or the fans, or the GPU). I'll admit this one has me royally stumped.

Cheers

Now I'm really scratching my head.

I physically disconnected the AIO cooler power cable. Still had the noise.

Removed the video card. Still had the noise.

Just to double-check, does your AIO have multiple cables, for fans/cooler and for the pump... you had ALL of those removed?

Not doubting, just to confirm/verify as you mentioned AIO cooler, if there was still some left...

Hi @Kallex,

I've 100% confirmed it is the Motherboard now.

Turns out the Z490 has a VRM fan inside the heatsink. According to the BIOS, this fan is running at 11K RPM - clearly too high.

While the MSI Click BIOS 5 provides the ability to define the curve, it seems that no amount of changing this curve is changing the fan speed.

Which probably means one of two things:

1. The BIOS firmware is faulty

2. The fan controller is faulty

Since the temperature indicators are showing "normal" temperatures (30-50 degrees in the BIOS, depending on the part of the mobo, I'm inclined to think it's option 2 ... but hoping it's option 1 where perhaps a revert of the BIOS firmware or an update may resolve the issue.

Since I'm already running the latest FW on the BIOS, this means MSI would have to acknowledge it as an issue in the BIOS ... but given I've not found any other reports online ... I'm sadly thinking perhaps the controller is faulty.

Crossing my fingers for the former.

Haha @Zotty. I already have LEDs all over my desk. A few more in my case (which sits beneath the desk anyway), wouldn't make much difference!

you'd be surprised how harsh RGB can be on a PSU lol.

this is mine.....

http://i.imgur.com/Q2bE2bml.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BMxXMs4l.jpg

Even AX1600i isnt man enough to run that at idle in silent operation mode lol

which is why you was being asked about loads.

Well if you can find the connector for that VRM fan, you can happily unplug it, it's not needed unless you tickle your CPU with LN2 really.

If your mobo is still under warranty you can still try to RMA it. Personally i'd disconnect it and call it a day ^^

And yep, RGB sucks juice!

my rig is toned down compared to Zotty's :p 9 fans (9 leds each), 5 high density strips (21 leds a pop), EK kinetic FLT pump res (20 leds i believe) and 30 leds in the CPU block.

Full white, 12 amps! 60 watts.. needs cooling for the lighting really.

So yea, that 1000D with half of Corsair's yearly production of QL fans.. lol

I'd be interested to see iCue's reading on power output for the 5V rail in white full brightness :p

That's a sweet looking rig, but far too austentatious for me. I've got LEDs around the desk and behind the monitor, and I use the Logitech G560 speakers with built in LEDs to add some colour to my space. Definitely enough for me.

Good steer on unplugging the fan - I'll have a look and see if I can find it. My only concern about that is that the heatsink / fan combination is for cooling the MOSFETs around the CPU ... so would be worried about it frying the board (and taking out everything else with it).

Having to RMA the mobo will be a major PITA - essentially I'll have to tear down the entire build, and wait god knows how long to get my PC back up and running.

My sincere (optimistic) hope is that it's a BIOS issue, and hopefully fixed in an update.

I can see in the BIOS that the temperature sensor is working (since it's correctly reporting the temperature), and that it knows the fan speed is high (it even puts it on a pretty chart for me). However, no amount of changing that fan curve will change the fan speed.

The evidence does kind of point to a faulty fan controller ... although I'm not sure how much that will be connected to the other FCs, which all seem to be working OK. One thing that is a bit suspicious is that the Rear fan (which is connected to the SYS_FAN_1 connector right next to the CPU) wasn't allowing control a day or two ago ... so much so that I thought it was a DC only fan and not PWM. Suddenly yesterday it started working ... although I am wondering whether I perhaps had the fan plugged in incorrectly previously (I disconnected and reconnected during troubleshooting).

Anyway, I've raised a ticket with MSI ... let's see what happens.

Thanks again for the help.

Pumps are noisy, yes. Honestly I can't tell you if your's is too noisy without listening to it.

They all are. When you think about it if it was a fan then 1900rpm is screaming, so it's not surprising they make a noise. If you like absolute quiet then you need an insulated case or stick with an air cooler.

In passing, when power supplies have fans that turn off it is definitely better to place the psu with the fan facing up. This allows better cooling simply because hot air rises and if the psu is upside down the hot air is trapped by all the components in the bottom of the psu.

Edited by Pocah

Thanks @Pocah. I've actually isolated the problem to the Frozr Heatsink Fan on the Motherboard. Everything else is super quiet at idle CPU load (3-4%).

Turns out the VRM MOS fan is running at 11Krpm (!), and no amount of adjusting the fan curve in the BIOS seems to get it to quiet down. My suspicion is a faulty fan controller ... but I'm hoping MSI advises it's a BIOS issue and sends out an update (fingers crossed).

I've lodged a ticket with MSI now, so will see how that goes.