Corsair Community

M60 Issues - Was the software even tested?

dbw09

I just purchased a new M60 from Newegg, and I must say I am entirely disappointed. The software that you download is non-functional to say the least. The buttons cannot be re-programmed, it fails to function after a reboot (I have to use the white paper trick mentioned in another thread so that it would track, then reset the lift height again after EVERY reboot). This is going straight back and and I am planning to leave a negative review so that others aren't as disappointed as I am. Based on the multiple issues that everyone seems to be having, it's pretty apparent that the software was not even tested.

I expect a much better product from you Corsair, to be completely honest.

The software seems to have trouble with reprogramming and/or event handling.

I remapped keys 6 and 7 to PgUp and PgDown.

Outside of games the keys will perform those assignments, but then also perform the default key functions of Forward and Back.

It's as if the mapping was appended to the default function instead of replacing, or there's a software layer performing the new assignment while the OS carries on with the default function.

Inside of games, like Battlefield 3, the new mappings aren't recognized at all. I guess this may make sense if the mapping is a software layer that can't get its message passed through DirectX and into the game.

I like the mouse and hope there are fixes soon. :):

-John

The software seems to have trouble with reprogramming and/or event handling.

I remapped keys 6 and 7 to PgUp and PgDown.

Outside of games the keys will perform those assignments, but then also perform the default key functions of Forward and Back.

It's as if the mapping was appended to the default function instead of replacing, or there's a software layer performing the new assignment while the OS carries on with the default function.

Inside of games, like Battlefield 3, the new mappings aren't recognized at all. I guess this may make sense if the mapping is a software layer that can't get its message passed through DirectX and into the game.

I like the mouse and hope there are fixes soon. :):

-John

I set mine in BF3 button 6 is knife, and button 7 is frag. You have to set these in the game it self there are 3 columns for mapping the keys in BF3 Keyboard, mouse, Joystick. under mouse column find what button you want to use and assign it. The mouse works in BF3 just fine.

Hey it's their first release cut Corsair some slack.. It's definitely not going to be bug-free the first time round and ANY software requires continued updating.

I mean; just look at BF3 when it was released. Huge company. Huge game. But poor support and stability. Took them a while to finally fix some major bugs and improve overall stability...

Hey it's their first release cut Corsair some slack.. It's definitely not going to be bug-free the first time round and ANY software requires continued updating.

I mean; just look at BF3 when it was released. Huge company. Huge game. But poor support and stability. Took them a while to finally fix some major bugs and improve overall stability...

If hardware is going to be like video games when released, then I am sticking to a corded ball mouse. Your peripherals affect EVERYTHING you do. You can just take a break from the video game while they fix the bugs. Not like that with a mouse and keyboard, now is it?

And what do you mean ''their first release''? This is most definitely not their first release?

If hardware is going to be like video games when released, then I am sticking to a corded ball mouse. Your peripherals affect EVERYTHING you do. You can just take a break from the video game while they fix the bugs. Not like that with a mouse and keyboard, now is it?

And what do you mean ''their first release''? This is most definitely not their first release?

Please get it right: It's a software issue. People are complaining about the software. As long as you don't use the mapping software the mice / kbs should work fine as per regular use.

I'm not saying Corsair shouldn't do anything about this; they should and ASAP. But like I mentioned software programming is anything but simple and bugs and instability; especially during initial releases, will be common.

And do you know of ANY Mice / Keyboard products corsair has released before? That's obviously what I mean by their first release.

Even though I am disappointed with the M60, I did go out and buy a K60... and I must say that it is an amazing keyboard! I really do love it! Goodbye Steelseries, Corsair you have really outdone yourselves on it.

Now, if we can just get the mouse software working correctly... =)

Companies like Corsair have to realize that customers only have a limited time to decide if they will keep a new piece of hardware and not return it. Companies that make products like mice and keyboards will hardly ever refund you your money (if ever). With functionality not working properly, the customer usually has less than 30 days to decide if he should return it or not.

If the customer decides not to return the product and the company does not follow through and fix the problems, the customer may have no recourse and be stuck with a lemon.

However, since this is Corsair, I'm willing to wait and see if they solve the problems. I'll tell you right now, if these problems didn't get ironed out, I'd be at the front of the crowd with the pitch forks and torches.

Corsair has entered one of the worst areas in computer products...keyboards and mice. These products MUST function correctly, but beyond that many of peoples opinions on them are also subjective. Many people will love some of the very things that other people hate. They can't satisfy everyone. However, they CAN release a product that works properly.

IMHO, the most unforgiving thing they did is release a product with no instruction manual. This is just not acceptable in my book. Here I am cruising through the forums trying to figure how this thing is supposed to be working because Corsair couldn't spend a dollar or two (per mouse) on a manual. And now that I'm here looking I find all sorts of people having various problems, and some of those also seem to be because of a lack of a manual.

Is this supposed to impress the customers? I love Corsair as a company. I have a corsair case, cooler, mouse (and two other computers with corsair products in them) so I realize that they are a pretty good company, but I have to call a spade a spade and say that this is really cruddy software, the product was not ready to be released, and now they're asking us to trust them past that 30 day window. I have been disappointed with a few products I have purchased lately where I am now out a couple of hundred dollars because these products do not work properly and there is no available fix. Now I find Corsair is starting off in a similar way with this mouse.

What happens if this problem with the side LEDs cannot be repaired via software (or some of the other problems for that matter)? Are we supposed to RMA it because our return window has expired? If that happens, we will be spending extra money on shipping because we agreed to wait and not return the product.

So, personally I feel I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place as I'm sure some of the other customers feel as well. I feel this same way every time I purchase a product and it doesn't work properly. I really do like the hardware (I find myself saying that a lot lately) but I'm not sure that I should trust that these problems will be sorted out in a reasonable amount of time. Problems I personally feel should have been addressed before the hardware was put up for sale. After all, lots of companies put out mice (and keyboards) all the time. It's not unusual, and most of them have products that work. (I mean, really, most people are reporting their profile LEDs are not working, how can that be? If it's a software problem, how could it have been tested and work in lab conditions, but doesn't work for everyone who purchased the mouse and tried to use it? Forgive me if that seems a little....odd).

In my case I can afford to wait because I now have an excellent product from a competitor that works great, a known great company for mice and keyboards (who have awesome instructions and fantastic software). That is now my spare. The only reason I purchased the M90 today is because I wanted more buttons on my mouse. However, for many people this is major fundage for a mouse and they may not be able to afford to wait and see if their issue is corrected or if they get stuck with a product that will never work properly.

I empathize with these people because I feel the same thing. I have been having problems with mice for over 6 months until I bought my spare and started using it. Now I purchased this mouse and it was supposed to solve my mouse issue. I'll wait and see. I'll give it time. I'll also wait before I start leaving reviews on this product because if I left one now, it would say "fail".

Corsair, you really MUST start paying more attention to software and instruction manuals and all things not hardware. This is a major shortfall of your products and is starting to make me consider looking elsewhere. You need a clear, concise manual explaining how every function works (paper or on-line), and you need software that you don't need to be an engineer to figure out (and that works). I am not a beta tester.

PS, I think you may be on Santa's naughty list now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived