Corsair Community

Can a 8+4 plug into the back of a 4+4?

Tobacha

Hi guys, I have a 8+4 plug that I want to plug into my new Motherboard that has a 8+4 CPU plug, but my Corsair CX750M power source only has a CPU 4+4 plug in the back. Is it okay to plug the 8+4 plug into the back of the CPU 4+4 plug in the back? Will that work? Thanks.

Right 8 pin connector and a 4 pin connector. Well I found a power source adapter cord that has 8+4 male pins (that's what I meant by 8+4 plug) to plug into the motherboard with an 8 pin female plug in on the back of it that would plug into the back of the 8 pin 4+4 of the CR750M. So what I was wondering was: would the 4+4 on the back of the CR750M provide enough power to the motherboard or would it be compatible with the 8+4 adapter cord even? Are there 8+4 connectors on the back of power sources? If you look at the back of a CR750M power source it just looks like a solid 8 pin hook up not actually two 4 pin hook ups just to even add more clarification. :D. Thank you for responding! Edited by Tobacha

• Corsair Employee

I still don't quite understand the cable.....So I'm going to say "no". Don't use it.

Maybe you can provide a link to this cable. But if it's not a Corsair Type 3 or Type 4 cable the pinout is probably going to be incorrect, the answer is still probably going to be "no".

If you're splitting a cable into two connectors, the weak link is still the first connector. So it accomplishes nothing. Just plug the 8-pin into the motherboard and call it a day.

Edited by jonnyguru

On my motherboard (ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula) I also have an 8-pin and a 4-pin EPS power connectors. My manual tells me that I must connect the 8-pin connector. I can also connect the 4-pin if I wish, but I must not only connect the 4-pin. I have also seen elsewhere (no doubt in other threads around here) that the 4-pin connector is only required if serious overclocking probably using Liquid Nitrogen is being attempted. I have no plans to go down that path, and I wouldn't mind guessing that if you are thinking of that degree of overclocking, then you may find your 750M PSU may explode before you get the cooling you are after !!!!

So I think you may find that you don't actually need to connect both the 8-pin and the 4-pin, only the 8-pin is what you should require.

Others who know their PSU stuff way better than I do though (such as Mr Johnny above) may well have a different view - and if they do - go with what they say !!!

But, first things first, What does your motherboard manual tell you?

• Corsair Employee
On my motherboard (ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula) I also have an 8-pin and a 4-pin EPS power connectors. My manual tells me that I must connect the 8-pin connector. I can also connect the 4-pin if I wish, but I must not only connect the 4-pin.

You are exactly correct. And this applies to pretty much every motherboard out there.