Corsair Community

HXi SATA and PATA cables (TXM/HX/AXi vs Type 3)

NPuter

Hey!

I just got a HX1200i used from ebay and am a bit confused with the cables that came with it. I think I have the original cables that came with it, but I want to be extra cautious in case my seller mixed up cables.

Specifically SATA and PATA cables. I have 4 SATA cables and 3 PATA, which is the correct number that the HX1200i comes with.

However, 2 of the SATA and 2 of the PATA say "TXM/HX/AXi only" and 1 of the SATA and 1 of the PATA say "type 3".

The empty pin(s) on the connectors very between the two. I believe TXM/HX/AXi should use the same cables as HXi, but the different pin config has me questioning that.

Thanks!

TX-M has always used Type 3 cables: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility

So it's safe to say that if they say "TX-M" on it, that it's Type 3.

My best guess is these are older cables made before Corsair actually designated the cables as "Type 3".

Thanks for the response!

That's the conclusion I came to. The only difference between the pinouts of the psu side of the cables is the middle pin (the empty middle and occupied middle pin slot vary between the two designations - attaching picture). However, it seems the middle pins of 6 pin connectors on type 3 psus both deliver +5v, so both cables should be good.

With that said, I just went ahead and used the cables labeled type 3 before I figured that out, so I can't be 100% sure.

LuwytJJ.jpg

Edited by NPuter

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for the response!

That's the conclusion I came to. The only difference between the pinouts of the psu side of the cables is the middle pin (the empty middle and occupied middle pin slot vary between the two designations - attaching picture). However, it seems the middle pins of 6 pin connectors on type 3 psus both deliver +5v, so both cables should be good.

With that said, I just went ahead and used the cables labeled type 3 before I figured that out, so I can't be 100% sure.

LuwytJJ.jpg

Both of those pins are +5V. You really don't need two +5V. So the cable is going to work either way.

It's unfortunate that they decided to do that. Two +12V would be better.

Both of those pins are +5V. You really don't need two +5V. So the cable is going to work either way.

It's unfortunate that they decided to do that. Two +12V would be better.

I noticed that oversight as well. More 12V is what hardware all want these days.

I noticed that oversight as well. More 12V is what hardware all want these days.

Hmmm ... not so sure about that.

RGB is all 5V. And fill up a 1000D with RGB fans ... you're talking about a pretty hefty load on that 5V rail.

• Corsair Employee
Hmmm ... not so sure about that.

RGB is all 5V. And fill up a 1000D with RGB fans ... you're talking about a pretty hefty load on that 5V rail.

I would hope that more than one SATA cable is used.

You mean I can't use 3-way splitters and put them all on one cable? :eek:

In all seriousness with "only" 30A on the 5V rail (and that's on HX and AX, RM only has 25A, IIRC) ... it can be pushed. A 1000D full of 32 LL's can do up to 20A just for the fan lighting. That's not even getting strips or HydroX involved or anything that's on USB.

With my HX1200, I can make the fan kick up ... quite a bit ... even with little load just by setting all of the LEDs to white. That's even with less than 400W total load. Even when it's going (which, with a ThreadRipper, happens often), it'll kick up even more if I set all of the LEDs to white. And I have a lot fewer devices than some of the 1000D builds.

We needs a PSU with ... like ... 50A on the 5V rail. Corsair has made RGB addicts out of us. Oh, and it needs an OLED screen too. But no RGB. Don't give Zotty that. Make him continue his tofu and hummus fast.:p:

You mean I can't use 3-way splitters and put them all on one cable? :eek:

In all seriousness with "only" 30A on the 5V rail (and that's on HX and AX, RM only has 25A, IIRC) ... it can be pushed. A 1000D full of 32 LL's can do up to 20A just for the fan lighting. That's not even getting strips or HydroX involved or anything that's on USB.

With my HX1200, I can make the fan kick up ... quite a bit ... even with little load just by setting all of the LEDs to white. That's even with less than 400W total load. Even when it's going (which, with a ThreadRipper, happens often), it'll kick up even more if I set all of the LEDs to white. And I have a lot fewer devices than some of the 1000D builds.

We needs a PSU with ... like ... 50A on the 5V rail. Corsair has made RGB addicts out of us. Oh, and it needs an OLED screen too. But no RGB. Don't give Zotty that. Make him continue his tofu and hummus fast.:p:

seriously though..... who ever is in charge of PSU design needs to up some limits.

i have all this on an RM1000i

http://i.imgur.com/Q2bE2bml.jpg

in this

http://i.imgur.com/pKq1LH1l.jpg

i have to keep ALL my RGB at 50% brightness and i can't use instant white lighting at all. if i do so.. no matter how low the overall load or temp is the PSU will kicks its fan up to over 70%.

now its no good thinking i am an exception to the rules.. used to be.. then i started my Discord Server Corsair Case Owners Club

https://discord.gg/b6x8HpM

we have many 1000d owners and a fair few have very similar builds to me!.. we are many now.

i dream of the luxury of 30a.. and that isnt enough!.. not even close lol..

Humus and Tofu is my protest..

i shall eat only the above until said 50a PSU is available.... hurry up lads I am wasting away! :D

Edited by Zotty

Howdy,

Currently I am running 22 fans, 3 pumps, 8 RGB strips, 1 GPU Block, 2 CPU blocks, and that does nto even account for the regular USB stuff necessary to run a PC. I have an HX850i and if I put my RGB to white the fan runs on the PSU even though the total power out is about 230W, about 25% of total max load. For these RGB filled beasts we need a PSU that has more amperage to run all this at once or splits the load between multiple 5V rails to avoid starting the PSU fan just because of 5V load.

-usna92

49830841361_08685f931b_k.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SiCpnGEl.png

That is

32 LL fans

1 copro

2 nopro

8 RGB Fan LED hubs

2 Hydro X blocks

2 Hydro X pumps

18 corsair RGB Strips

then there is the keyboard/mouse/mouse mat/st100/streamdeck/sata drives/ram/cpu/m.2's to mention but a few items all asking for some 5v action..... things need to be bought up to date i feel

Edited by Zotty

• Corsair Employee
seriously though..... who ever is in charge of PSU design needs to up some limits.

It's not fair to increase the cost of everyone's PSU to address some corner cases. ;) No offense.

But what if we made a +12V to +5V buck converter that you could put in the case somewhere? +12V in, +5V out.

It's not fair to increase the cost of everyone's PSU to address some corner cases. ;) No offense.

But what if we made a +12V to +5V buck converter that you could put in the case somewhere? +12V in, +5V out.

That would work i suppose... shame a PSU can't supply all the needed power though... not even your Flagship AX1600i? :p::p:

Could you not install said Buck converter into these PSU's? So we are none the wiser of such sins lol. :idea::idea:

3 Years i have been on this Protest Diet of Hummus and Tofu to try and get you to let your team put RGBz into PSUz and maybe some OLEDz. .. we need these things hahahaha.. :D::D:

seriously though... Please? :laughing:

Edited by Zotty

Not sure how "corner" these cases are ... and it's mostly Corsair's fault! Keep bringing out all that RGB love!

But yeah ... I can see a buck converter - something like "RGB Supplemental Power" as a possibility. You could connect it to a PCIe connector on the PSU and then have it provide power to some SATA connectors to power the RGBz. The SATA connectors would need to support 12V and 5V (at a minimuim). That would, however, not be good if you wanted to put a CoPro on them as that'd need the 3.3V rail as well (for the MCU).

I've actually thought about hacking one of these together for my own experimentation, in fact.

And ... whatever you do ... OLEDs - yes. RGBz on PSUs - no. Make Zotty suffer his hummus and tofu diet. I think he secretly likes it.

• Corsair Employee
That would work i suppose... shame a PSU can't supply all the needed power though... not even your Flagship AX1600i? :p::p:

Could you not install said Buck converter into these PSU's? So we are none the wiser of such sins lol. :idea::idea:

That's how it works already. The PSU is a +12V PSU. The +5V is derived from a +12V to +5V buck converter. To increase the capacity of this converter increases cost exponentially because you have to increase output capability while maintaining performance parameters like low ripple and tight voltage regulation.

Oh nooooo..... LOL!

You know me lol... i wants the toys..

in all serious though... i do feel this will be a growing problem.. have you seen how many 1000'd's are flying off the shelves? and the fact that the 8x120mm tray is constantly sold out.. worldwide.. i have a constant stream of new people joining my server chasing said tray... finding said tray (or buying after market ones) and filling them with 8 fans to 16 fans (push/pull),, making 16 (32 in a lot of cases) in total. thats PSU fan spinning territory.

to add.. this 'chatter' is now starting to appear on other forums/reddit/facebook and "why is my psu Fan spinning at low temps/draw? i thought this has silent operation.. its not silent.." is where it starts. and then there are those that dont have an i series psu and are unaware they are pushing boundaries...

which brings me to..

I know to at least 5 PSU's that have now been RMA'd due to this when there was no reason for RMA in the first place, you guys sent them a new PSU only for the 'issue' to remain.. and i assume i only know to the tip of the iceberg...

surely in the long run bringing the specs up to date would cut those RMA costs?. and we dont need all psu's to do this and increase their prices.... just the new one.. the one that says RGB on it.. that will sell like hot cakes.. lol.

if you dont... others will... and right now.. RGB sells right? so correctly powered RGB very quickly becomes desirable in the marketing world?

Edited by Zotty

Before I built my 1000d, I had my first HydroX build in a 500d. 8xLL140 fans, 8 RGB strips, CPU block, GPU Block, 1 Pump/Res. I used a HX850i. Set my colors to white, instant fan spin on the PSU at a fraction of power out. Couldn’t figure it out at the time. Contact Corsair. They had me go through several troubleshooting steps. Ended up RMA the PSU because we couldn’t resolve it over the phone. Got the replacement, did the exact same thing. Talking with Dev and Zotty we talked through I must be hitting the 5v rail max even though total power out is small. This wasn’t an extreme build and the PSU was well with in the power out. It ran about 115W at idle and about 230W loaded. With RGB at white PSU ran about 135-140W at idle. Still well within margins. Part of the problem is iCue doesn’t report amperage by rail so a user can’t diagnose this and additionally there is no information other than temperature for why the fan starts. In addition to have more PSU RGB support it would be helpful to have more insight in iCue about those PSUs. Edited by usna92

Knowing as little as I do about the internal workings of the power supply. The buck converter you mentioned would at least help the folks who have a lot of rgb. I myself have quite a few rgb peripherals as well as they hydro x, and 14 fans. While not as extreme as some, if I go all white, 5v rail amperage goes up. So there is a need for it.

In some respect, it is some what irresponsible of corsair to keep turning out rgb items knowing they're 5v. But in fairness to corsair, very few people will buy ALL of their rgb items. But there are plenty that do. And I doubt they even realize the stress they are putting on the 5v rail. Heck, 90% of folks just see the overall wattage out put when buying a power supply. They may look at the 12v amps, but they certainly aren't caring about 5v. So I would dare to say most users are oblivious to the 5v rail.

But the buck converter sounds like a great idea. I don't think most of us push our 12v rail that hard. It would certainly fill a niche that some folks have.

I apologize if my lack of knowledge here has caused me to say anything inaccurate.

Knowing as little as I do about the internal workings of the power supply. The buck converter you mentioned would at least help the folks who have a lot of rgb. I myself have quite a few rgb peripherals as well as they hydro x, and 14 fans. While not as extreme as some, if I go all white, 5v rail amperage goes up. So there is a need for it.

In some respect, it is some what irresponsible of corsair to keep turning out rgb items knowing they're 5v. But in fairness to corsair, very few people will buy ALL of their rgb items. But there are plenty that do. And I doubt they even realize the stress they are putting on the 5v rail. Heck, 90% of folks just see the overall wattage out put when buying a power supply. They may look at the 12v amps, but they certainly aren't caring about 5v. So I would dare to say most users are oblivious to the 5v rail.

But the buck converter sounds like a great idea. I don't think most of us push our 12v rail that hard. It would certainly fill a niche that some folks have.

I apologize if my lack of knowledge here has caused me to say anything inaccurate.

All opinions are relevant dude.. the more that give one the more progress this 'movement' makes,,, lol

• Corsair Employee

Your knowledge is more than adequate in this context.

And the trend for +3.3V and +5V is going down. You'll see that there are already a number of units on the market that only have 100W on the +3.3V and +5V combined. And Intel is trying to get rid of +3.3V and +5V altogether with the ATX12VO standard, which taps the board for +5V regulation if you want to run SATA drives that aren't M.2.

Your knowledge is more than adequate in this context.

And the trend for +3.3V and +5V is going down. You'll see that there are already a number of units on the market that only have 100W on the +3.3V and +5V combined. And Intel is trying to get rid of +3.3V and +5V altogether with the ATX12VO standard, which taps the board for +5V regulation if you want to run SATA drives that aren't M.2.

Yeah, wish I could say I was a fan of that, but I am not. But that still does not take away from the fact, usb, RGB and several other things use 5v. Am not sure how the trend is going down being rgb and usb are getting more popular. Unless we go to a 12v rgb, which is what i use on my rc helicopters. Granted, to adjust the brightness on my night heli I had to go down to 10.5v so they weren't blinding at night.

Edited by acemaninwa871

But that still does not take away from the fact, usb, RGB and several other things use 5v.

agree'd.. there is a whole RGB eco system out there based on 5v for Corsair.. right now.. not even the Flag ship AX1600i can power the Flag ship 1000d with a stock count of LL fans and all the bells and whistles.. that zero RPM silent operation is the first to go...

for me... i have an RM1000i.. and lighting condition dependent the psu fan is louder than my 32 LL fans! i can hear it over them easily, so to counter this i have to turn brightness down and avoid certain colors. not something i wanted to do tbf.....

Edited by Zotty