Corsair Community

PSU Cables Comparison Type 4 Gen 4

elgreco

Hi all,

I have an AX1000 PSU and am strongly thinking to buy the pro kit of type 4 gen 4 cables.

I was wondering if somebody knows the capacitors size/type used in the original AX1000 cables so that I compare these to the ones found in the kit.

Also is there any info about the wires size AWG used in the type 4 gen 4?

AX1000 is based on the Seasonic platform and as per some reviews, it’s very good performance is partially due to the in cable capacitors it has. So I would not like to ruin even slightly the really good performance of this PSU for a more “basic” cable kit that does not have the standards of the original PSUs cables, IF that’s the case.

Looking forward to your replies...

• Corsair Employee
Hi all,

I have an AX1000 PSU and am strongly thinking to buy the pro kit of type 4 gen 4 cables.

I was wondering if somebody knows the capacitors size/type used in the original AX1000 cables so that I compare these to the ones found in the kit.

Also is there any info about the wires size AWG used in the type 4 gen 4?

AX1000 is based on the Seasonic platform and as per some reviews, it’s very good performance is partially due to the in cable capacitors it has. So I would not like to ruin even slightly the really good performance of this PSU for a more “basic” cable kit that does not have the standards of the original PSUs cables, IF that’s the case.

Looking forward to your replies...

The aftermarket cables from Corsair are the same gauge wire and have the same capacitors as the stock cables. The only difference is that they're individually sleeved.

• Confused 1

The aftermarket cables from Corsair are the same gauge wire and have the same capacitors as the stock cables. The only difference is that they're individually sleeved.

Thank you very much for your immediate reply! To be honest, I was hoping for the EPS 12V cables of the PRO kit to be 16AWG as the Seasonic ones are, instead of 18AWG.

Thank you!

• Corsair Employee

You don't need 16g wire for a one to one EPS12V connector.

If you need more power than that can deliver, you need to use a second cablle.

The pins on the connector are the weak point here, not the wire itself.

The PCIe cable is 16g because you have two connectors on it with the potential power delivery of 225W.

You don't need 16g wire for a one to one EPS12V connector.

If you need more power than that can deliver, you need to use a second cablle.

The pins on the connector are the weak point here, not the wire itself.

The PCIe cable is 16g because you have two connectors on it with the potential power delivery of 225W.

Thank you for the clarification!

I will use both EPS connectors in my Z390 AORUS MASTER so as per your post, I should be fine.

This issue (18 instead of 16 AWG wire) was presented as the weak point of the AX1000 in a couple of reviews (review 1 review 2) but your answer makes real sense!

Thank you!

• Corsair Employee
Thank you for the clarification!

I will use both EPS connectors in my Z390 AORUS MASTER so as per your post, I should be fine.

This issue (18 instead of 16 AWG wire) was presented as the weak point of the AX1000 in a couple of reviews (review 1 review 2) but your answer makes real sense!

Thank you!

Do note that both of those reviews were written by the same guy.