Corsair Community

Cue.exe - bad image

Clivey

Hi

Corsair Product: Mouse - Sabre RGB

CUE version: latest from the site

All was well until the Windows 10 1709 update and now the CUE wont load. If I re-install it works, but as soon as I restart the PC I get this error

https://ibb.co/gG4f36

It basically says: Corsair Engine Utility\CorsairAudioDevice.dll is either not designed to run on Windoes or contains an error. Error 0xc0000020

Any ideas why?

Everything else works fine and all drivers/firmware up to date.

Help as my mouse is useless!

Thanks

Solved it. In case anyone else has the same issue after the Windows 10 1709 update.

Uninstalled CUE. Deleted folders/files left by the uninstaller in Program Files (x86) related to Corsair.

Deleted corsair folders (including CUE profiles) from AppData\Local and AppData\Roaming.

Re-installed CUE and it so far is working even after reboots.

Hmm.. it wasn't the fix as it came back after i posted this its now happened on my sons machine (Wind10, same mouse) and someone at work.

The only real fix I have managed is to roll back CUE to 1.16.42 and block corsair from outbound connections to prevent it trying to update.

I cannot believe it is us as mine, my sons and work friend all have different spec machines.

Surely this has to do to a bug in the dll's/CUE

ok, now the old CUE doesn't work, has same error (bad image) but with MediaPlayersSupport.dll.

It appears that users reporting this issue also run McAfee Total Protection and you need to exclude all the CUE dlls from realtime scanning.

I have the exact same problem stemming post 1709 update -- CUE gives me the same issue, but it's not limited to CUE. My steam games that go through EA are doing the same things, and with them I have to verify cache to typically replace a single DLL each time to get them to launch otherwise they kick up the same error.

It appears that something is doing something odd to certain DLLs post creators update on certain systems. It doesn't matter how many times I re-install the application, and it doesn't seem to be dependent on reboot. If I open and close the application enough times this happens, and sometimes it happens the first try.

Any chance you're running McAffee OP? I just removed it and so far no issues.

Happends to me aswell. Manually reinstalling it may fix the problem for that session, but not a reboot. Occoured after the large windows fall update (16299.19\1709). Does happend with my Xtreme Engine software for gigabyte GPU's aswell, but less frequent. (IM RUNNING McAfee.....)

I've rebooted multiple times since removing mcafee and cannot get the problem to repeat - here is the thread I found regarding different software that was having the same problem: https://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-21578

Confirmed that McAfee Total Protection was the culprit :evil:. Stopped harassing the CUE and my GB XE software when removed. Bummer since i get the AV suite for free through my banking services. Well, going to trust Windows Defender for now, should be good enough.

You'll end up trying to exclude every DLL in any application folder for every application this is occurring against -- per the security ratings sites Mcafee has always been pretty average, so swapping it for another at the same tier which isn't interacting with windows like this is a reasonable solution.

Defender is a bit on the low end, but there are several you could replace it with.

• 3 months later...

I have just started getting this error message on boot up. I'm not running Mcafee but I do use Kaspersky and have done for a few years, I don't think its that causing the problem and I don't think there's been any updates that would have caused this.

I'm totally lost on how this has just started.

:bigeyes:

Hi Tasted

No, it started about a week ago, I can't recall any updates before it happened and I have just noticed there's new update today for the utility engine, I'm going to try that and see if it fixes the problem.

Cheers.

Archived