Corsair Community

LL120 fans suddenly stopped working

simplyshredded

Hello,

I purchased the LL120 fans when they were released a couple years ago. I installed 6 fans onto channel 1 of the commander pro. I had no issues with them and they were working fine for however many years it has been until suddenly today all except the 1st fan has stopped lighting up. They fans still spin i just cannot get them to light up. is this possibly due to ICUE updating? i can see there was an update recently. however this only stopped working today. i did not restart my pc. i can change the lighting effects of the 1st fan without issue.

I have reinstalled, updated the commander pro and icue and it has not fixed the issue. im pretty sure the lighting has been configured correctly in icue. 6 fans connected on channel 1. all 6 fans set to static red on channel 2 and only 1 lights up

surely this must be a sofrware problem as it has been working fine for years? is this a known issue? is there a fix?

pc info

intel 9900kf

asus maximus formula x

2080ti FE

32gb vengence pro ram

6 LL120

commander pro

Please help and thanks in advance.

update, i swapped the cables from the fan to the rgb controller for ports 1-3, now fans 1-3 light up. tried to do the same thing for ports 4-6 and nothing changed...

Edited by simplyshredded

It's probably not software. How the fans light up doesn't change from version to version.

The lighting is serial, so a defect or break in the chain at fan #2, LED #8 would stop the light show right there. It is also possible for the RGB Hub they plug into to be the break.

"i swapped the cables from the fan to the rgb controller for ports 1-3, now fans 1-3 light up. tried to do the same thing for ports 4-6 and nothing changed..."

If you are still in that state, take the fan in the #3 slot and swap the lighting RGB line with #6 - putting the suspected trouble fan at the end. If that is the problem, 1-5 should light and you may get partial coverage on #6. If true, contact Corsair support to see about replacing the fan. However, the warranty is 2 years. I am not sure if you've passed that or not.

Normally we would test the RGB hub too, but since the point of failure changed from the original 1<->2 to between 3-4 now, it's most likely the hub is OK.

This has fixed my issue, thank you so much!

I just remembered, I damaged one of my fans and had to buy a singular replacement earlier this year, which happens to be that exact fan! the other 5 fans were purchased as part of 2 x 3 packs.

It's probably not software. How the fans light up doesn't change from version to version.

The lighting is serial, so a defect or break in the chain at fan #2, LED #8 would stop the light show right there. It is also possible for the RGB Hub they plug into to be the break.

If you are still in that state, take the fan in the #3 slot and swap the lighting RGB line with #6 - putting the suspected trouble fan at the end. If that is the problem, 1-5 should light and you may get partial coverage on #6. If true, contact Corsair support to see about replacing the fan. However, the warranty is 2 years. I am not sure if you've passed that or not.

Normally we would test the RGB hub too, but since the point of failure changed from the original 1<->2 to between 3-4 now, it's most likely the hub is OK.