Corsair Community

Corsair. Are you ever gonna fix the high CPU usage?

Look, I love iCue and have a bunch of iCue enabled products from Corsair. However, I can't see a reason why, in setups such as mine, iCue has to use so much system resource (CPU and I/O in particular). svchost has 16 million I/O entries (see attached image). And I bet you that this particular instance of svchost has something to do with iCue, because if uninstall it, there's no other svchost that has that many I/O operations. My setup has 2 commander pros (which have 12 LED strips in total), 3 LL fans (from the 680X case) and 4 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro memory sticks (4*8 = 32GB DDR4) and a K68 keyboard. However, all those lights have different profiles and most of them are static solid colors effects (appart from the keyboard keys light up white when I press each one). So, being solid color effects (however mostly a mix of 2 colors and hence why I don't like to just close it and use the hardware profile - doesn't allow each channel of strips to be controlled), there's no need for processing. It should be set and forget, maybe a few checks every 10 or 20 minutes just to see if the lights are still synchronized for whatever reason.

I don't know, maybe there's a way to code a "switch" for low usage and then limit the options to solid static colors only (which is basically what I use).

SS.png.6fdb7bcd41c8f96f49a6ecb1cd37cf7f.png

Downloaded the latest update, still Icue pegs my 3900xt to 1.48v, as soon as I close icue down, all my cores INSTANTLY and I mean INSTANTLY all downvolt to 0.900v and stay there until I of course load a game or whatever.

Did it on my 2700x, and does the same on my 3900xt. I have steam, logitcech profiler and various other programs running background, but none of them keep my cores voltage up at 1.48v like Icue does.

Usage is about 0.5%, so I cannot find the connection into why it pegs my cores at maximum voltage 100% of the time, there is just really no need to.

Downloaded the latest update, still Icue pegs my 3900xt to 1.48v, as soon as I close icue down, all my cores INSTANTLY and I mean INSTANTLY all downvolt to 0.900v and stay there until I of course load a game or whatever.

Did it on my 2700x, and does the same on my 3900xt. I have steam, logitcech profiler and various other programs running background, but none of them keep my cores voltage up at 1.48v like Icue does.

Usage is about 0.5%, so I cannot find the connection into why it pegs my cores at maximum voltage 100% of the time, there is just really no need to.

my assumption is that its reading temps from each core, which forces them to be awake to be read... it's an educated guess, based on what other programs have had to adjust

(older programs asked the CPU's to poll as often as possible because most CPU's responded to them slowly. Ryzens can respond a ton more often to adjust their boost more rapidly, resulting in non stop polling responses and crippled boost as it mistakes them for an impending load)

I've got a 5800x coming in to replace my 3700x (and its all core OC) so i'll have to give up icue until its resolved.

my assumption is that its reading temps from each core, which forces them to be awake to be read... it's an educated guess, based on what other programs have had to adjust

(older programs asked the CPU's to poll as often as possible because most CPU's responded to them slowly. Ryzens can respond a ton more often to adjust their boost more rapidly, resulting in non stop polling responses and crippled boost as it mistakes them for an impending load)

I've got a 5800x coming in to replace my 3700x (and its all core OC) so i'll have to give up icue until its resolved.

I understand all that, and monitering programs such as hwinfo for example had similar, but due to them actually having on the ball devs, they were quick to act and adjust to Ryzen, we are know on Zen 3 years later!!!!! and still Corsair have not sorted it. They have countless posts, threads and topics from their customers including me begging for Corsair to just please sort this out, even reach out to Hwinfo if you have to, be good devs not lazy ones.

Turns out iCUE is still using a silly amount of CPU in the background:

nT79xZo.png

I should mention that I have over 25 profiles and each has potentially dozens of actions applied to hotkeys, though I do not have profile autoswitch enabled on any of them. I will repeat: none of the profiles are linked to executables, so I am still not sure why iCUE keeps performing hundreds of these operations per minute anytime I open any program:

jr1EkKD.png

That screenshot shows the cores were sleeping, they were truly idling.

This the same OS + software used on my 3700x system that did NOT idle correctly, i wonder if the updated AGESA has helped?

attached is icue + chrome (about 10 tabs) vs chrome alone

1968383019_icuechrome.jpg.231381bff3946ad22200ae8d06a767f2.jpg

1075886781_Justchrome.jpg.ae1e49bb578a3c919ca01cc915f13fbc.jpg

that's funny, i swapped my 3900x to 5900x without changing anything and icue v3.31.81 stopped hogging voltage

It's one of two things

1. AMD changed something in the hardware specifically for icue

2. Because iCue cant read any CPU readings for Zen 3 yet, it's not keeping the cores awake

I upgraded CPU so its harder for me to test this, can someone with a badly affected CPU try moving these files out of the icue folder, into a backup folder and see if removing the CPU monitoring helps?

On my end i have confirmed that removing these disables/breaks nothing other than removing readings from CPU temps and mobo sensors from the dashboard

p1kalmig2k367.jpg

It's one of two things

1. AMD changed something in the hardware specifically for icue

2. Because iCue cant read any CPU readings for Zen 3 yet, it's not keeping the cores awake

I don't use the icue sensor readings but it's most likely still asking for the sensors in the background and that's why the cpu usage/voltage is always high. I believe it's probably because icue doesn't fully support it yet. I'm probably not going to update my icue at all since it keeps the voltage to operate normally.

I don't use the icue sensor readings but it's most likely still asking for the sensors in the background and that's why the cpu usage/voltage is always high. I believe it's probably because icue doesn't fully support it yet. I'm probably not going to update my icue at all since it keeps the voltage to operate normally.

Please try what i wrote in the post directly above yours, if you dont use those readings.

Please try what i wrote in the post directly above yours, if you dont use those readings.

Well it didn't do anything since I have a newer CPU which my version of icue can't detect, but I did rename mine instead of deleting it the an "X" appendix eg. xCorsair.Service.DisplayAdapter.exe

Don't have my older CPU anymore so I can't test it either. Regardless I won't be updating icue anytime soon, probably never as I don't see Corsair fixing this issue at all. The way they programmed icue to request/poll information about the CPU is just way too aggressive to the point that Zen has a consistent 1.4v reading whenever icue is running based on my previous experience with a 3900X.

It's now behaving as I expect it to be, inconsistent 1.0v-1.4v readings. I'm also going to block icue via firewall to stop checking for updates.

I rebuilt my spare parts into a 2700x and 3700x system, and both behaved better with those files removed.

I suspect it may be the CPU monitoring (temps?) keeping the cores awake, which prevents them idling... It's an educated guess but a reasonable workaround is just to throw those files into a backup folder and now iCue has no temp readings from my CPU or mobo, but works great for RGB control.

AWESOME!!!!

After stopping the service I removed the CPUID files suggested in the image, even the display adapter one and now I don't see anything else in the monitoring dashboard that the Corsair AIO and the PSU which is the only Corsair Devices I have (besides the LNP)

HOW MANY TIMES WE HAVE TO TELL YOU TO ALLOW THE USERS TO DISABLE THAT BLOATWARE CRAP!!!!!!!!!!???

Edited by Technobeard
language

• Corsair Employee
AWESOME!!!!

After stopping the service I removed the CPUID files suggested in the image, even the display adapter one and now I don't see anything else in the monitoring dashboard that the Corsair AIO and the PSU which is the only Corsair Devices I have (besides the LNP)

HOW MANY TIMES WE HAVE TO TELL YOU TO ALLOW THE USERS TO DISABLE THAT BLOATWARE CRAP!!!!!!!!!!???

I'll pass the suggestion along to our software team, and see if there are any amicable solutions that could be implemented like this.