Corsair Community

CX430 Review discussion

charliehorse55

Strictly speaking the CX400W was a Power Series model and the CX430W is a Builder Series model. The question to ask is how each series is defined.

I guess if you want to get technical.

I'm just trying to point out that the CX400 is better than the newer CX430.

IMO Corsair shouldn't sell anything that cheap if it's just going to affect product quality. Better to increase the price a little and get that good build quality back.

The AX line is amazing, based on Seasonic's gold series (well at least the 750 and 850, the 1200 is flextronics but just as amazing). The TX and HX lines are also very solid and a good represenation of what Corsair product quality is.

I just don't think the new CX line accurately shows this anymore.

At least it will do what it's rated to do. If you can get it for $15-25 after MIR, I'll admit it's quite the decent deal.

The CX430 passed Jonnyguru.com's test bench, not all lower end supplies fare well over there if they're not up to scratch.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=214

I'm not saying it's total crap, just that it's no where near as good as the previous CX400.

Also, it's rated specifications are lower than the CX400. So basically they have just pushed out a cheaper, lower quality power supply and then lowered the bar so that it still passes certification.

Compared to the CX400

28A 12V Rail - CX400 has a 30A Rail. In a world where PC's draw 85%+ of their power on the 12V rail this is basically a decrease in available power for your computer

Rated to 30C temperature - The CX400 was rated to 50C. The difference between this is huge. For one thing, many countries routinely have ambient temperatures above 30C, which would push this unit out of spec. Secondly, even in an air-conditioned room the lower temperature tolerance means the unit is less resistive to being clogged with dust. With a PSU rated at 50C, a litte dust might just make it run a little warmer. With a PSU rated at 30C that little bit of dust could easily cause it to overheat and fail.

CWT DSAII Platform - The Seasonic S12II was used in the CX400. Not only is the Seasonic platform better, but Corsair has over rated the CWT DSAII to decrease the cost. The unit inside of the CX430 is actually a 350W Powersupply @ 50C, and so by over rating the unit to 430W and decreasing the maximum operating temperature from 50C to 30C they have managed just barely to keep the unit in spec. This will mean higher ripple on the DC side (makes it harder to get stable overclocks). It also means a higher chance of failure, and lower efficiency. Hell, the CX430 isn't even 80+ cert!

Sleeve Bearing Fan - The CX400 used a ball bearing fan. Ball bearing is better because the fan laster longer and produces less noise. The new sleeve bearing fan is prone to failure, especially around the 3 year mark - just when the PSU comes out of warranty.

In conclusion, the CX430 is not very good. For $15 AR it's better than anything below $40, but I still wouldn't buy it. There are many better powersupplies in the $40+ range.

So why did Corsair do this? I believe mostly to save money. Seasonic was phasing out the S12II platform to replace it with the S12II-B, which had some minor improvements which would allow the powersupply to make 80+ Bronze (rather than just standard 80+). This would have increased the cost of the unit a bit, and rather than doing that Corsair decided to cheap out. By switching to a cheaper OEM (CWT) and then over rating them to use lower wattage units.

Every single other Powersupply line made by Corsair is amazing, and has none of the flaws mentioned above. I have used many of these such models in both my rigs and my client builds. Just stay away from the new CX builder line, that is the CX430, CX500 and CX600.

Keep in mind what this PSU is and what it is not.

It IS a great PSU to be sitting in a Best Buy. Would you buy Dynex or Corsair in that case if you were the average BB shopper?

It is NOT intended to be or marketed to be a direct replacement for the CX400. Comparing it to the CX400 is useless. The entire current BUILDER SERIES differs from the CX400. The CX430 is the lowest power unit in our lowest PSU line.

The CX400 was a STEAL at the price. The reason most people are upset is that they can no longer buy the CX400.

The CX430 is what it is and does what it is designed to do and hits a certain price point. People that actually buy the PSU and the retailers that carry it are very happy with it.

It's simple. If you don't want the CX430, then buy a different PSU.

Keep in mind what this PSU is and what it is not.

It IS a great PSU to be sitting in a Best Buy. Would you buy Dynex or Corsair in that case if you were the average BB shopper?

It is NOT intended to be or marketed to be a direct replacement for the CX400. Comparing it to the CX400 is useless. The entire current BUILDER SERIES differs from the CX400. The CX430 is the lowest power unit in our lowest PSU line.

The CX400 was a STEAL at the price. The reason most people are upset is that they can no longer buy the CX400.

The CX430 is what it is and does what it is designed to do and hits a certain price point. People that actually buy the PSU and the retailers that carry it are very happy with it.

It's simple. If you don't want the CX430, then buy a different PSU.

Yep!

I would have to agree. This is what I would do:

CX430 for a plain Jane install

VX450 for a more gamer oriented install with overclocking and high power graphics cards.

I'd just like to re-iterate that the CX430 is actually pretty good. I just think that it's a bit silly of Corsair to change the name from the CX400 to the CX430, as it will confuse a lot of people into thinking the CX430 as just being a revised version of the CX400.

If you can get this powersupply for below $40, it's the best one currently available in that price range!

In conclusion, the CX430 is not very good. For $15 AR it's better than anything below $40, but I still wouldn't buy it. There are many better powersupplies in the $40+ range.
Ah, I was going by what you posted above. That post above looks like a regurgitation of what Phaedrus was spamming before the JonnyGURU review.

Ah, I was going by what you posted above. That post above looks like a regurgitation of what Phaedrus was spamming before the JonnyGURU review.

Pretty much.

The JohnnyGuru review showed what I suspected, poorer than other PSU's ripple, lower efficiency and lower quality capacitors.

This isn't really a problem for most people, which is why as I said it's a good unit for a causal plain jane build.

I'd also like to add that the CX500 and CX600 are more the PSU's to worry about in that line, as they have been overrated by a larger amount.

No, they have not. They perform as advertised at the rated voltages and temperatures.

I'll caution you ONCE to stop this sort of posting.

No, they have not. They perform as advertised at the rated voltages and temperatures.

I'll caution you ONCE to stop this sort of posting.

I'll back off since it is Corsair's own forum.

However my point was that the temperature rating of the powersupply has been reduced so that the lower quality components would meet the specifications.

Also, while load testing is a vital part of a review, it does not mean that a review without one is a bad review. The review I linked discusses in detail all of the components used in the powersupply from an electrical engineering standpoint, and explains the pros and cons to each component.

I won't post any more on the subject but I will continue to link to this thread if that's all right.

I'm also just trying to make Corsair aware that people will notice when you release a product that sacrifices price for quality. While the CX series is great for the price, I honestly think that Corsair should just stay out of the super-budget PSU area and keep the VX450 as their cheapest model.

• 7 months later...

Does CX430 in US have different internals?

I bought mine about a month ago for $20 after rebate, and it has a 80 PLUS mark on it. Also, I think I saw the 'Ball bearing' sign somewhere, but I don't know for sure. When I power off my PC, it stays at 0W. When in standby mode, it only consumes 1W. At idle using only intel HD2000, 20W for the whole desktop. Using GTX460, it stays around 43W idle. I think it's a good power supply. At least it works for me.

I have to wonder though, what is the purpose of the transparent plastic sheet that is blocking half of the fan area? Doesn't it make less effective cooling, and produce more noise this way?

I have core i3-2120, intel DH67CF mini-itx, 8gb ram, ssd, hdd, gtx460 in my Lian Li Q11. Amazingly quiet mini desktop! Great for gaming too.

Does CX430 in US have different internals?

Should not! The PSU's auto switch between 120 and 240v All that is needed is a different power cable from the wall to the psu or a socket adapter depending on location.

I have to wonder though, what is the purpose of the transparent plastic sheet that is blocking half of the fan area? Doesn't it make less effective cooling, and produce more noise this way?

Actually it is quite the opposite. It's a baffle to channel cool air over vital components in the PSU to keep it cooler.

I guess if you want to get technical.

I'm just trying to point out that the CX400 is better than the newer CX430.

IMO Corsair shouldn't sell anything that cheap if it's just going to affect product quality. Better to increase the price a little and get that good build quality back.

The AX line is amazing, based on Seasonic's gold series (well at least the 750 and 850, the 1200 is flextronics but just as amazing). The TX and HX lines are also very solid and a good represenation of what Corsair product quality is.

I just don't think the new CX line accurately shows this anymore.

C'mon now, ever hear of a price point? Not everyone wants to or is able to spend over $100 on a PS. If Corsair chooses to market a budget range series of PSs, they certainly can, nothing wrong with that. They aren't marketed as a high-end product, their specs reflect that. If anything less than a HX series product is not good enough for you, that's fine, but a lesser PS is not automatically no good.

If you've been building PCs for ten years or more, you know that PSs have come a long way quality wise. I also look at the old PCs and their PSs I still have around, and the PS still works just fine, except it can't be used with current hardware. Yes all those old electrolytic caps are still working, they aren't automatically bad because of how they're made.

I wonder what the cost of a CX400 would be if it were made at current prices for parts, etc, likely more than a CX430.

Should not! The PSU's auto switch between 120 and 240v All that is needed is a different power cable from the wall to the psu or a socket adapter depending on location.

Actually it is quite the opposite. It's a baffle to channel cool air over vital components in the PSU to keep it cooler.

I looked at the review, he has V1 (or the initial version) and I have a CMPSU-430CX V2. My V2 version has 80PLUS. Does anyone know what other differences the V2 version might have? The power output looks the same looking at the stickers, but I don't know about the internals.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16069139/cx430v2.png

The fan from this PSU is the noisiest component in my system now.

LiiianLiiii Q11, Corsair 320CX V2, evga gtx460, i3-2120 (passive cooling), hitachi 7200rpm hdd

Edit: I read some reviews of the V2, seems like a good PSU. I used to have Ultra 500W (generic Radio Shack brand?) which was free after rebate, used it for couple years without problems. The Corsair, I paid $20 after rebate and is much more energy efficient so I think it's a good buy.

Archived