Corsair Community

HX620 Buzzing noise

yashas

Hi,

I recently bought a Corsair HX620 psu. It runs fine and really quiet. But at times when system is under hi load and when the system runs on battery backup (APC BR800 800VA) i get a buzzing noise from the psu. Since i am in india the psu runs on 220v power supply. Please advice.:confused:

Hi RAM GUY,

Thanks for replying. Im sure its not the fan. I removed the unit from the case and checked if something was geting in the way of the fan. Its definitely not from the fan but from some other component. Like i said before, i get the same noise when the power supply is from the battery backup of the ups (the noise remains as long as its on ups battery backup power). :sigh!:

• Corsair Employee

Let me ask power guy, but it might be normal under high load.

Edit: I just spoke with the PSU PM and he suggested trying it with out the APC, can you try it just pluged in to a power strip?

Let me ask power guy, but it might be normal under high load.

Edit: I just spoke with the PSU PM and he suggested trying it with out the APC, can you try it just pluged in to a power strip?

The noise occurs only while on battery backup when there is a power outage. That happens frequently where i live :sigh!:

Are you sure the buzzing is from the Power Supply and not the UPS?

Because I have an APC 725BB UPS and it buzzes softly when it switches to battery. I actually don't mind as it happens only during power outages (when there's an alarm going off anyway) and I'm more than happy that I actually didn't get my power cut to mind some slight buzzing noise :-)

The noise occurs only while on battery backup when there is a power outage. That happens frequently where i live :sigh!:

This may go to an issue I've read about concerning using a PSU with active PFC on a UPS, At least one major manufacturer of PSU's states that if a UPS is used it MUST output a true sine wave. Most lower cost UPS's output a simulated sine wave (stepped) and you have to look at units like the APC Smart series before you find a true sine wave output.

I've not been able to find anything on just what kind of damage or how fast that damages occurs however, though your buzzing may be a symptom of something getting stressed.

I sent a question to Corsair support about sine wave output and active PFC, using the online form about a month ago, but have yet to hear back from them.

This may go to an issue I've read about concerning using a PSU with active PFC on a UPS, At least one major manufacturer of PSU's states that if a UPS is used it MUST output a true sine wave. Most lower cost UPS's output a simulated sine wave (stepped) and you have to look at units like the APC Smart series before you find a true sine wave output.

I've not been able to find anything on just what kind of damage or how fast that damages occurs however, though your buzzing may be a symptom of something getting stressed.

I sent a question to Corsair support about sine wave output and active PFC, using the online form about a month ago, but have yet to hear back from them.

Hi Earletp

I had my ups dealer replace the BR800 with a BE650 which seems to have solved the noise problem. So you are saying that anything cheaper than the smart series doen not give you a true sine wave and that can be harmful to your psu in the long run?

Thanks.

I also hear the buzzing sound on my 620HX when my UPS runs on battery power. I've read that some En*rm*x psu's with active-pfc don't recommend the use of simulated sine wave UPS'es. Is this the same case with the Corsair HX series?

BTW I use a powercom black knight pro 1000va (outputs simulated sine wave). I hope you guys can help out. Thanks.

I am currently using my 620HX without a UPS fearing that the buzzing might damage my other components. Does this mean that I have to invest in a pure sine wave UPS (expensive) if I really want to use a UPS? Has corsair released a formal document stating that a simulated sine wave UPS is not compatible with the HX series? Thanks.

Hi Earletp

I had my ups dealer replace the BR800 with a BE650 which seems to have solved the noise problem. So you are saying that anything cheaper than the smart series doen not give you a true sine wave and that can be harmful to your psu in the long run?

Thanks.

Harmful, I don't know, my understanding is that it does cause them to run hotter and less efficiently. I would suspect long term use could easily be detrimental but without official word from Corsair it's supposition on my part.

I was really hoping Ram Guy or Power Guy would lend more information other than suggesting to bypass the UPS. :)

Yes, in the APC lineup, the BackUPS series outputs a stepped sine on battery power, and the Smart series outputs a true sine.

I was really hoping Ram Guy or Power Guy would lend more information other than suggesting to bypass the UPS.

My sentiments also. I need to know if buying an expensive pure sine wave UPS is my only option for the Corsair 620HX

• Corsair Employee
My sentiments also. I need to know if buying an expensive pure sine wave UPS is my only option for the Corsair 620HX

We obviously cannot test every UPS in our environment, but I will ask our engineers if a Pure Sine Wave UPS is necessary.

• Corsair Employee
500VA APC may not be big enough for the system configuration you gave, should at least 750 VA for that MB or more if you have other Devices connected like monitor or printer. For APC's I would suggest 20%-30% more than what your system is rated at for optimal performance of both APC and PSU.

I also get an aweful high pitched streetch. Happens directly plugged into a wall outlet and into a 5 plug adapter thing.

It's totally aweful in 3dmark 01, and always there slighty in games.

It's pissing me off, it's supposed to be my second unit, after an RMA. Why oh why did i get this PSU.:mad:

• Corsair Employee
Please call our Tech support at 800-205-7657 and we will try to help you solve the problem, and our hours are from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time Monday threw Friday excluding holidays and ask for Ram Guy!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
I asked Power Guy to comment or update the thread, but there is no problem with our PSU's that I know of. If you have this symptom I would suggest not using the APC or battery back up in question.

I asked Power Guy to comment or update the thread, but there is no problem with our PSU's that I know of. If you have this symptom I would suggest not using the APC or battery back up in question.

Oh no, the only problem I have is not getting my rebate (heh!!) :). I think my HX620 is a great PSU and I've not had any issues with it at all. I did opt to replace my APC RS-1000 UPS with one of the APC Smart series though just because of what little info I could find out about Active PFC and UPS'.

It would just be nice to have a definitive answer as to whether one of the more common simulated sine wave UPS' have a potential to damage the power supply.

Thanks,

Earl

• Corsair Employee

Please see the Contacts section from our web site for the rebate info.

And I will ask again, but as far as I know we have not done any testing with any of these units at our office here. And there is no information suggesting they would or would not cause problems. Only what we have already stated.

Archived