Corsair Community

Corsair RM750 custom fan control?

Reno Kim

Hi

I'm new to this forum and I got my RM750 power supply today.(LOT #1404)

I live in California east bay area. In summer, temperature gets really hot. avg room temp is around 25~30C afternoon.

So when I'm playing BF4 and try to touch the power supply, it's really hot because the fan is not spinning at all and I know there is nothing wrong with this. But it's way too hot that I can't put my hand over for more than 3 seconds.

So I was researching and found out that there is program called corsair link. In order to make my power supply to work with corsair link, I have to purchase the corsair link analog to digital bridge for my PSU.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-link-analog-to-digital-bridge-cable-for-rm-series-psu

With the corsair link, I heard that I can monitor Watts usage and temperature from the program.

But is it possible If i can make custom fan files for my power supply with corsair link? just like custom fan curve for graphic cards. I want my PSU fan to run at low RPM all the time if it's possible.

If I can't do it in corsair link to manage custom fan speed, is there any way that I can do?

I've got into this trouble since I got my RM1000.

With my case HAF XB,RM1000 even makes my CPU very hot.

I heve two CPU on MB,the one near PSU is always above 70C.the other one was only 50C more or less.

I've got into this trouble since I got my RM1000.

With my case HAF XB,RM1000 even makes my CPU very hot.

I heve two CPU on MB,the one near PSU is always above 70C.the other one was only 50C more or less.

So there is no way I can control the fan speed for power supply with corsair link?

The RM Series only reports +12V load and fan speed. That is all.

What case fans do you have in that NZXT Phantom 410?

I have 9 fans total

2x 120mm front

2 x 120mm top (radiator)

120mm back

140mm side

140mm to graphic card side mount

120mm bottom

120mm on top of power supply (since the power supply fan won't spin, I had to put high pressure fan mount direct to power supply)

• Corsair Employee

120mm on top of power supply (since the power supply fan won't spin, I had to put high pressure fan mount direct to power supply)

Wait... so you put your own fan pointing down into the PSU?

*sigh*

Look... the PSU is supposed to be fanless MOST of the time. Didn't you know you bought a PSU for quiet operation before you purchased it?

Your system is hardly stressing that PSU at all. Your MSI GTX 660 Ti OC PE only has a TDP of 150W and you're using a 750W PSU! If the PSU was overheating, the PSU WILL shut down.

So take that extra fan out.

You said that the PSU is "hot to the touch". That is SO relative. What's hot to the touch for you may not be hot to the touch for someone else. Did you read this article?:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2014/june/rm_fan-speed

With a Radeon 7990 (a card with a 375W TDP), it took running two threads of Prime95 and Unigine Valley benchmark to get the fan to spin up on an RM850. And even then, it waited about two minutes after the benchmarks started before the fan turned on. When we used the 1000W, the fan hardly ever turned on and the housing got as hot as 40.9°C in a 25.8°C room and was completely fine. I suppose some might think that 40°C is "hot to the touch", but it's not too hot for a PSU.

If you did get the Digital Bridge, it might be interesting to see your +12V load. Because you might just see that you're actually only putting out about 300W of DC power.

From corsair link, 12V rail reads about around 7.5-8.5 when everything @idle

I don't know about power supply so I don't know what this number exactly tells me

I placed fan to PSU so that heat from PSU go out directly through pci vent slot.(so my other parts won't get heat from my PSU)

I got this power supply in case later on this year i'm going to upgrade my graphic card

• Corsair Employee
From corsair link, 12V rail reads about around 7.5-8.5 when everything @idle

I don't know about power supply so I don't know what this number exactly tells me

What is 7.5 to 8.5? The +12V load from the RM Series PSU? So you already have the Digital Bridge and the Link software installed? Because in your previous posts, you never said that. You just said that you were aware of the Digital Bridge and Link.

Also, why only measure idle? If the 8.5 is 8.5A and you multiply that by 12V, that is only 102W. What are you measuring under load?

Measuring just the +12V rail can give you a good idea of your total load since the +3.3V and the +5V use DC to DC to turn the +12V into those other voltages.

I placed fan to PSU so that heat from PSU go out directly through pci vent slot.(so my other parts won't get heat from my PSU)

I got this power supply in case later on this year i'm going to upgrade my graphic card

I still don't understand how you have this fan configured. Is your PSU installed fan pointing up into the case or down towards the floor/desk/etc?

And you are aware that PSU fans suck air INTO the PSU and out the back of the PSU housing. So how is it that you're sucking heat out of a PSU and out a PCI slot???? Doesn't make sense.

• Corsair Employee

Right. I would make sure the setup is like this:

2x 120mm front - intake

2 x 120mm top (radiator) -exhaust

120mm back -exhaust

140mm side -intake

140mm to graphic card side mount - intake

120mm bottom - intake

Considering all of the fans you have, I bet you have no REAL problem with temperatures. I'm sure your actual temperatures inside the PC are quite normal. Sounds like you're just over-reacting because, in your opinion, the PSU housing is "hot to the touch".

Archived