Corsair Community

Corsair AX860 Coil Whine

Randomguyyy

Hi everyone,

Despite the reviews on this forum and other tech resellers reporting coil whine from the Corsair AX760/860 units manufactured by Seasonic based on their KM3 PSU platform, I decided to give it a go anyway based on my past no-nonsense experience with Corsair products (Vengeance RAM, H100 cooler, 500R case, fans, TX750 V2 etc.)

Today, I received the unit from Amazon and can confirm coil whine on the PSU unit when plugged in and on (regardless of PC/motherboard on/off state). It's the constant annoying buzzing electrical sound. I tested my same system with the TX750 V2 which was dead silent and had no issues.

I'm hoping that Corsair (through RAMGUY) might issue an official response regarding this issue? I can't comment on the frequency as I only purchased one unit, but it seems like various users who purchased from resellers have reported a similar issue. I'm hoping Corsair will approve an advanced RMA ASAP and ensure that I do not receive another unit with the same problem.

If you are experiencing similar issues, please voice your concern. I cannot recommend the product as it seems the issue has not been isolated addressed yet by Corsair management.

Thanks,

Concerned loyal customer

I can comfirm that it's a light pitch noise like piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii all the time, while the computer is off.

But it's so low that I don't usually hear it. I must have my PSU up side down, and my ear close to the fan to hear the pitching noise..

I'm hoping that Corsair (through RAMGUY) might issue an official response regarding this issue? I can't comment on the frequency as I only purchased one unit, but it seems like various users who purchased from resellers have reported a similar issue. I'm hoping Corsair will approve an advanced RMA ASAP and ensure that I do not receive another unit with the same problem.

Unless Corsair comes out publicly with a an official response your not going to get one.

Since the unit is brand new it would be best to return it to your reseller or if you really want to RMA it through Corsair you will need to call the CS toll free line to set up an advanced RMA. That is the ONLY way it can be done because of credit card security.

If you are experiencing similar issues, please voice your concern. I cannot recommend the product as it seems the issue has not been isolated addressed yet by Corsair management.

Corsair sells upwards of 100,000 PSU monthly. So even if you took all the complaints you could dig up over the months the percentage is quite small . Your not going to get them to address anything.

Unless Corsair comes out publicly with a an official response your not going to get one.

Since the unit is brand new it would be best to return it to your reseller or if you really want to RMA it through Corsair you will need to call the CS toll free line to set up an advanced RMA. That is the ONLY way it can be done because of credit card security.

Corsair sells upwards of 100,000 PSU monthly. So even if you took all the complaints you could dig up over the months the percentage is quite small . Your not going to get them to address anything.

^Returning it to the reseller would most likely result in another faulty unit from the same manufacturing lot (batch).

Though Corsair might sell a high volume of PSU, I doubt a majority of them are the newer AX models that they just released last Fall. Most are older models that are still in stock at various resellers.

Furthermore, the AX760/AX860 do seem to have a disproportionate amount of negative reviews reporting the coil whine issue compared to any other Corsair PSU models. While there is the random DOA or faulty unit of other models, the reviews seem to suggest that the manufacturing and QC is more tightly controlled for the older AX750/AX850. (My cheaper TX750 came with a QC passed sticker, while my AX860 was lacking any sort of QC confirmation)

• 3 weeks later...

RMA'ed twice. On the second replacement unit right now.

All 3 units have exhibited the high pitched whining problem. Corsair even promised to test the unit prior to shipping it out to me the second time but it seems this has not addressed the issue.

Hello,

I'm from Paris and I have exactly the same problem as you with my Corsair AX860. An unpleasant noise. Computer on or off.

What do you advise me to do.

I do not want to pay a 25 euro for shipping to the Netherlands to receive a product with the same problem.

Sorry for the translation with Google Trad.

Thanks

• 4 months later...
RMA'ed twice. On the second replacement unit right now.

All 3 units have exhibited the high pitched whining problem. Corsair even promised to test the unit prior to shipping it out to me the second time but it seems this has not addressed the issue.

Same issue here, I'm on my third AX1200i that has been ''tested'' and it still buzz like the others...

After some research on Google, it looks like coil whine is a pretty common issue in Corsair power supplies...even though I've never had any issue with my previous HX850 unlike the noisy AX1200i I have right now...

I've been having the same issue and even opened up a RMA ticket with my local reseller. I still have some days to ship the PSU if I want to, though I am deeply concerned that I'll just get another unit with the same issue, go through a lot of trouble and stay days without it - for nothing. I really fear that, because I've seen people complaining that even the replacement units, over and over, have the whine...

Mine has the serial number 12447005001007380088

What saddens me the most is that I've payed premium for just about the best quality I could have - 80 Plus Platinum, 7 years Corsair Guarantee, full modular, fan-less operation... Here in Brazil it just cost me the equivalent to around US$ 340,00 (in Reais - BRL) for the PSU shipped to my place (yeah, that much, Brazil's prices on tech are really that bad)... So I'm definitely sad about this coil whine. I could maybe try to live with it, but it's really annoying and I didn't pay premium for this. I'd be ashamed to have friends mock me for paying that much for a noisy and annoying PSU - mostly, they would be right, buying it seems like a bad decision if you knew of the issue (I didn't, but you get the point).

Any help or advice, RAM GUY? I've read the rules, and read many posts you replied - I could say I joined this forum so I could hear from you.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I have the same problem. I bought an AX760 and it stop working after one year. I sent it to RMA and received an AX860. After some months a very loud coil whine has appeared.

I have to pay 40€ for the RMA because I live in Spain and have to sent de PSU to the Netherlands, I don't want to pay again and have the same problem.

I have an old RM series PSU and it has been working perfectly for several years. But the premium -and expensive- one has given me so much trouble, and I see I am not the only one. I don't understand this.

I have readen about some possible fixes, for example to force the PSU to a high load for an extended time. Does anyone know about this?

Archived