Corsair Community

Crystal 680x Top Glass and Air Flow

CoolerCase

I’m about to assemble my build inside the crystal 680x. I have the H100i for CPU cooling and it is going to be mounted on top. The instructions with the H100i say the fans should be directed as to pull cool air from outside the case and across the radiator. It appears the glass on top would inhibit this air flow. Would the recommendation be that I remove the glass on top and just put the filter on top?

Thanks!

M

The directive is a general suggestion and not a requirement. Radiators can be used as intake or exhaust and the feasibility is very much case and location dependent.

Glass is not permeable, so it certain does pose some measure of restriction. You don't really want to be slapping dust filters on your intake radiators either. That could be worse. Most people with a 680X are going to want to see the nice LL fans they've bought. I am not sure which "H100i" you have, but it is likely you have either ML or LL RGB fans do use on it. It's probably going to be most attractive in the exhaust position so the prettier side of the fan points down. I would start with your original plan of front/bottom intake, top/rear exhaust with the radiator in the top. If it seems like it retains too much heat or the glass up top becomes clearly hot or otherwise a restriction, then you can start making compromises. Until it proves to be a problem, I would go with the way you want it. Flipping the fans over is easily done after install if needed.

Mine is set to exhaust and it works out great that way. Front 3 pulls air in, bottom 2 pulls air up to the GPU. While the back and the top h100i exhaust the leftover heat out the case.

I would be more worried about the side with the mechanical drives in it though. I have 3 and had to remove two of them as there is no airflow on that side. My mechanicals was hitting 130 F in there. Or 54 C to you people on the other side.

Not sure why they didn't add space upfront for some 90mm or the back for some 90mm fans. As it is basically an oven for drives on that side. No air flow over running hardware is bad. It is what it is though.

I’m about to assemble my build inside the crystal 680x. I have the H100i for CPU cooling and it is going to be mounted on top. The instructions with the H100i say the fans should be directed as to pull cool air from outside the case and across the radiator. It appears the glass on top would inhibit this air flow. Would the recommendation be that I remove the glass on top and just put the filter on top?

Thanks!

M

Mine is set to exhaust and it works out great that way. Front 3 pulls air in, bottom 2 pulls air up to the GPU. While the back and the top h100i exhaust the leftover heat out the case.

I would be more worried about the side with the mechanical drives in it though. I have 3 and had to remove two of them as there is no airflow on that side. My mechanicals was hitting 130 F in there. Or 54 C to you people on the other side.

Not sure why they didn't add space upfront for some 90mm or the back for some 90mm fans. As it is basically an oven for drives on that side. No air flow over running hardware is bad. It is what it is though.

Thanks. This is actually my first build without any mechanical drives. Or any 2.5 ssd. I went all in with 2 M.2 drives. Really reduces the cabling too. I have a h100i but I dont love the gaps on top. I’m thinking of getting the bigger radiator. Any thoughts on that?

Yes the gaps. They can be fixed with 140 mm fans. Which should have been included to start with. I feel the same way about the gaps. The top you can't really see the gap. But I have done 140 mm in mine except for the top now. It looks a lot better.

The H115i RGB series will be the only AIO with 140 mm fans for you? A custom loop would be next on the list.

Thanks. This is actually my first build without any mechanical drives. Or any 2.5 ssd. I went all in with 2 M.2 drives. Really reduces the cabling too. I have a h100i but I dont love the gaps on top. I’m thinking of getting the bigger radiator. Any thoughts on that?