Corsair Community

HX1200i odd problems

ldwilliams

I fitted the new PSU using its own cables today. Switched it on, and a big fat Nothing! No LEDs on the motherboard nor the fans, both should switch on with the PSU.

Wondered if the case power switch was faulty but don't have a spare to test that. Remembered that the PSU has a test fan switch, which determines if it is getting power, pressed that and the fan powered on and then stopped as it is supposed to do, repeating the test did the same. Keeping the fan switch pressed kept the fan spinning. I knew that it was working.

Remembered that I have the switch shorting adapter so you can run the water pump without having the PC on, so that you can bleed the open loop prior to running it. Connected it up, And Nothing, that Had worked just fine before with the other PSU

I'm now getting worried that the previous PSU had fried every damn thing (it died one morning last week)! Remembered that I have a Noctua Fan Controller NA-FC1. Connected it up and the fan that I'd connected to the controller powered on with the PSU, but then stopped when the PSU fan did! Keeping the PSU fan test switch on, kept the fan on also, but it stopped when the PSU fan did.

I was stumped as to what to do next but had inadvertently left the PSU switched on and after 30 seconds or so I saw what is in the video - that is what looks to be intermittent power being supplied to the fan controller And the connected fan, you can also see the lights of the fan controller flickering on and off! I connected the water pump back up but that did not turn at all (it is connected in the video).

Question now is, what the hell do I do Now?

Can you think of anything that I can do to test

the PSU on its own?

Any way to test if anything Is fried?

The motherboard, CPU, ram, GPU and the Original PSU were all bought at Scan UK if that makes any difference.

https://i.imgur.com/InjYOrO.mp4

• Corsair Employee
I fitted the new PSU using its own cables today. Switched it on, and a big fat Nothing! No LEDs on the motherboard nor the fans, both should switch on with the PSU.

Wondered if the case power switch was faulty but don't have a spare to test that. Remembered that the PSU has a test fan switch, which determines if it is getting power, pressed that and the fan powered on and then stopped as it is supposed to do, repeating the test did the same. Keeping the fan switch pressed kept the fan spinning. I knew that it was working.

Remembered that I have the switch shorting adapter so you can run the water pump without having the PC on, so that you can bleed the open loop prior to running it. Connected it up, And Nothing, that Had worked just fine before with the other PSU

I'm now getting worried that the previous PSU had fried every damn thing (it died one morning last week)! Remembered that I have a Noctua Fan Controller NA-FC1. Connected it up and the fan that I'd connected to the controller powered on with the PSU, but then stopped when the PSU fan did! Keeping the PSU fan test switch on, kept the fan on also, but it stopped when the PSU fan did.

I was stumped as to what to do next but had inadvertently left the PSU switched on and after 30 seconds or so I saw what is in the video - that is what looks to be intermittent power being supplied to the fan controller And the connected fan, you can also see the lights of the fan controller flickering on and off! I connected the water pump back up but that did not turn at all (it is connected in the video).

Question now is, what the hell do I do Now?

Can you think of anything that I can do to test

the PSU on its own?

Any way to test if anything Is fried?

The motherboard, CPU, ram, GPU and the Original PSU were all bought at Scan UK if that makes any difference.

https://i.imgur.com/InjYOrO.mp4

What's the lot number of your PSU (first eight digits of your serial number)?

Ok. Just so you guys know, we have our QC and tech support department on it as well as the factory. Hopefully will know if something's up soon.

So is mine one of a faulty batch then?

I am asking because I bought it from Overcockers UK and if it is one of a bad batch, then a replacement from them is likely to be part of the same bad batch surely?

I don't know yet. I just heard about these problems over this weekend and now we're investigating.

Okay, can you advise as to which way to go please?

Because if it is a faulty batch and I return it to Overclockers UK, it is quite likely that any replacements that they have will be from the same batch.

And if I RMA it back to Corsair it will likely take ages and this is my only 'proper' PC and manufacturers aren't known for being speedy and it looks as if I may have a dead MB as well :sigh!:

I remembered that I had a cheap non-modular 400W PSU that I had used previously to bleed the open loop and tried that. It powered the external fan correctly, also able to use the RPM adjuster (which I couldn't do before). It also powered the water pump as it had originally.

Sadly though when I plugged the 24 pin and CPU 8 pin in and switched it on, the MB and internal fan lights didn't come on, so looks like the original PSU killed the MB when it killed itself as well :(:

Here is a vid of that

https://i.imgur.com/Vj9fEdg.mp4

• Corsair Employee

Sadly though when I plugged the 24 pin and CPU 8 pin in and switched it on, the MB and internal fan lights didn't come on, so looks like the original PSU killed the MB when it killed itself as well :(:

That's highly unlikely and you would be the only person so far that has reported such a thing.

Until someone at Corsair can actually get their hands on one of these PSUs, it's hard to say what the "solution" is outside of just getting a refund.

That's highly unlikely and you would be the only person so far that has reported such a thing.

Until someone at Corsair can actually get their hands on one of these PSUs, it's hard to say what the "solution" is outside of just getting a refund.

Sorry no, that isn't anything to do with a Corsair PSU. I originally had a Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000W that made a quick buzzing electrical-type noise when I switched it off one night and was then dead the next morning. That was RMA'd and refunded, which is when I bought the Corsair HX1200i, which now looks to be faulty.

Not having much luck with PSU's atm, 2 out of 2 Is bad.

• Corsair Employee
Sorry no, that isn't anything to do with a Corsair PSU. I originally had a Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000W that made a quick buzzing electrical-type noise when I switched it off one night and was then dead the next morning. That was RMA'd and refunded, which is when I bought the Corsair HX1200i, which now looks to be faulty.

Not having much luck with PSU's atm, 2 out of 2 Is bad.

You don't have any of the Seasonic cables left over that you might be using with the Corsair, do you?

• Corsair Employee
I do have a full set of cablemods cables, but no, none used.

I said that in the OP.

I fitted the new PSU using its own cables today.

I saw that, but just making sure. Lots of times I've had people say, "Oh.. but that one SATA cable that's powering my SSD" or, "except for the one going to the fan controller", etc.

I saw that, but just making sure. Lots of times I've had people say, "Oh.. but that one SATA cable that's powering my SSD" or, "except for the one going to the fan controller", etc.

Nope. As the original were seasonic cablemod cables, their wiring was different on the 24 pin. My logic said that if the wiring on the 24 pin was different, I had No idea whether other cables were as well, so swapped them all out.

Edited by ldwilliams

• Corsair Employee
Nope. As the original were seasonic cablemod cables, their wiring was different on the 24 pin. My logic said that if the wiring there was different, I had No idea whether other cables were as well, so swapped them all out.

Yeah. You wouldn't believe how much in a minority you are. :D:

Yeah. You wouldn't believe how much in a minority you are. :D:

Oh i do, used to be in the old help channels of underneath IRC back in the day, being asked how to back a cake one minute and for the next we were helping someone how to fix their win bootloader :biggrin:

I was also taught cobol 45 years ago, lol.

Ok. Just so you guys know, we have our QC and tech support department on it as well as the factory. Hopefully will know if something's up soon.

You asked for the batch number, so are you able to say yet if it is a certain set of batches that are affected, or what please?

I will have to RMA this back to Overclockers UK today, and I want to give them as much information as possible.

• Corsair Employee
You asked for the batch number, so are you able to say yet if it is a certain set of batches that are affected, or what please?

I will have to RMA this back to Overclockers UK today, and I want to give them as much information as possible.

The lot code is "new enough" to where we were able to pull some back that hadn't even left China.

Tried to get some from UK warehouses, but they were apparently all sold out.

Having our TSG guys reach out to anyone that puts a ticket in for a failure analysis. Should be able to ship out a unit from another warehouse with a different lot code.

Did you put a ticket in with Corsair TSG?

The lot code is "new enough" to where we were able to pull some back that hadn't even left China.

Tried to get some from UK warehouses, but they were apparently all sold out.

Having our TSG guys reach out to anyone that puts a ticket in for a failure analysis. Should be able to ship out a unit from another warehouse with a different lot code.

Did you put a ticket in with Corsair TSG?

No, Overclockers are RMA'ing it, already on its way back, being replaced

Err, so what?

Not trying to be rude but there isn't a product Anywhere in the world that has zero faults.

Also do you realise that by phrasing yourself that way, that you are effectively calling me a liar.

On another note, exactly How many vegans have been shot for being a vegan mate?

Think you may find that as far as prejudice goes vegans are hardly high in the 'league table